Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've been keeping our healthcare visits. The way I figure it, routine visits are fairly quick and so exposure is limited. If I let something get worse, it will likely mean more visits, longer time, more exposure, etc. For example, dental office makes me nervous because of the need to remove the mask. But if anyone needs cavities filled or major work done because we waited too long, it will be way more time out of mask than just the routine cleaning/exam. All doctor's offices/dental offices I've been to have been taking really good safety measures.

I say schedule them all now -- most of them will likely need to be scheduled out a ways b/c so many providers are booked way out right now, so you probably won't get in right away. Better to do it all when it's preventative stuff and not emergency care.
    Lizi

I'm seriously debating about whether to go to the dentist in the next few weeks. I have an appt scheduled for next week, and two of my kids haven't been in a year. I just noticed DS has super heavy tartar built up.

I have actually had quite a few health appts in the last 6 months, but most of them have been telehealth. I even did PT through telehealth, and had a surprisingly thorough jaw evaluation by video. I went to a new dentist & an orthodontist in June, got a blood draw, had an ultrasound in September and then a CT in November. Each time, I was impressed by the precautions in place and felt safe enough.

But both my new dentist's office and my kids' dentist office do not feel nearly as safe to me. Besides the fact that you (& all the other patients that cycle through in a day's time) can't wear a mask, both offices have sort of a communal space for cleanings. The pediatric dentist has a big room with 8 chairs lined up where the hygienists work. I think they might have curtains between them, but don't usually pull them closed. I'm not sure how they're doing things now, but their usual setup would be terrible. My new dentist's office feels pretty small for the number of people coming and going, and rather than exam rooms they have exam bays with cabinets providing a visual barrier between them but nothing to prevent air exchange. I was there for an hour and had my mouth open most of that time, and was so aware that there were at least 3 other patients nearby, also with their mouths open for an hour at a time. Especially right now, when case numbers are terrible here, going to the dentist feels unsafe. But I hate putting it off even longer, especially for DS.

My husband is an optometrist and his practice has put every possible measure in place for everyone's safety. Plexiglas barriers between doctor and patient in exam room & around reception area, no air puff testing, patients wait in cars instead of waiting room, reduced density in scheduling, distancing/masking at all times by everyone, HEPA filters in exam rooms, trying on glasses frames by appt only and every frame you touch is disinfected afterwards, and more I'm forgetting at the moment. Several friends/neighbors have told me they felt very safe during their appts with him.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RedSuedeShoes View Post

But both my new dentist's office and my kids' dentist office do not feel nearly as safe to me. Besides the fact that you (& all the other patients that cycle through in a day's time) can't wear a mask, both offices have sort of a communal space for cleanings. The pediatric dentist has a big room with 8 chairs lined up where the hygienists work. I think they might have curtains between them, but don't usually pull them closed. I'm not sure how they're doing things now, but their usual setup would be terrible. My new dentist's office feels pretty small for the number of people coming and going, and rather than exam rooms they have exam bays with cabinets providing a visual barrier between them but nothing to prevent air exchange. I was there for an hour and had my mouth open most of that time, and was so aware that there were at least 3 other patients nearby, also with their mouths open for an hour at a time. Especially right now, when case numbers are terrible here, going to the dentist feels unsafe. But I hate putting it off even longer, especially for DS.
    Have you been to the kids' one since this all started? Our pediatric dentist is similar but we went in July and were very impressed. The waiting room is usually packed but parents went back with their kids instead. And that worked our fine because in a room that holds 8 for cleanings, they were allowing 1 patient and their parent (mask for parent required as well as temperature checks for both). They have a few closed door procedure rooms as well and 1 of those might have been in use while we were there.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We had pushed back all medical appointments during the lockdown and slowly got caught up over the summer. We have dentist appointments scheduled for early January. As of now we’re keeping those appointments but may reschedule depending on how numbers are at that point.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Don't go out and party. Be smart with social distancing and masks. But take care of your general health.
    Yes!! If you don't do routine health checks you could end up in a worse situation-- needing emergency care at a time when ERs and hospitals are maxed and full of covid + people. The benefit outweighs the risk here.

We haven't put anything on hold. That is partly because of my insurance-- in order for services to be covered next year, we need to have used them this year. If we let stuff lapse this year we will have to pay for it out of pocket next year.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have kept up with dentist, I have eye doc in 2 weeks, I have a genetic eye condition so I won't let this go. I had a mammogram and physical.

The implications of delayed dental can be life long and whole health impacting, we NEVER delay dental.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Fortunately my kids all had well-checks during the two weeks before everything shut down in March. I squeezed in my yearly this summer and had an eye exam in October. We canceled September dental appointments and haven't rescheduled yet. I'm not so worried about the dentist since he/she will be in PPE but the potential for the aerosols of previous patients in the air. I hate to miss but we won't go much more than a year between. DD needed emergency care post car wreck this week. We obviously went to the ED, they were great and got us into a room but it was crazy packed up and down the hallways with stretchers. We masked and kept our door closed. It's definitely worth actively avoiding a trip to the hospital these days.

In your shoes, I would prioritize and hold off on appointments that could wait until March or so. Covid makes everyday life so much harder.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Fortunately my kids all had well-checks during the two weeks before everything shut down in March. I squeezed in my yearly this summer and had an eye exam in October. We canceled September dental appointments and haven't rescheduled yet. I'm not so worried about the dentist since he/she will be in PPE but the potential for the aerosols of previous patients in the air. I hate to miss but we won't go much more than a year between. DD needed emergency care post car wreck this week. We obviously went to the ED, they were great and got us into a room but it was crazy packed up and down the hallways with stretchers. We masked and kept our door closed. It's definitely worth actively avoiding a trip to the hospital these days.

In your shoes, I would prioritize and hold off on appointments that could wait until March or so. Covid makes everyday life so much harder.
    Oh my! I hope you are all doing ok now.

If you are in a hot zone, as I think you are, I would reconsider routine dental cleaning as it can wait - at least in my experience. Wouldn’t worry about school physical either since there are no school sports right now, and a minor skin tag issue would also not be a priority. I’d go to doctor if there was something out of the ordinary, very sick kiddo, if my child needed a new contact or glasses rx, or to keep up vaccinations. If I was way, way behind on a well child visit and the doctor was super on the ball with precautions, then I’d take them for visit. Otherwise, I’d sit tight and stay home as much as possible and avoid medical or dental procedures as much as possible. If it could wait over summer, most things can wait now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes. Our numbers are horrible but we had an insurance change so I needed to get in numerous appts with the old insurance. Doctors’ offices are safer than Target!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast