Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Nobody asked for LEGO this year

In a year full of sadness I know this doesn't even register. Still, I can't help but mourn a bit for the first year in more than a dozen that nobody put a single LEGO set on their list!

I picked up a set for DD but the truth is, she won't play with it a ton and it is comparatively quite expensive! I think I should probably return it. DH is not sad about this. He hates stepping on LEGO and cleaning up LEGO and thinks we have ENOUGH for one household (probably true) but I just love that product. SO creative and imaginative and durable.

Anyway, I thought some of you would "get it" here on the board. I'm trying to move on and fulfill their creativity in other ways but I am a little sad!

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Aw, big hugs!!! I do get it.

This will be the first year DD doesn't make gifts for or Santa bring gifts to her American girl dolls. That tradition went almost 10 years while she used it to extend the magic. She put the dolls away this summer after not playing with them for a year, with very much second guessing (away being keep them all set up in another room in a closet, not away away, just in case). She's sad about it but requested it.

DH and I request Lego, so it would never occur to DD to not want it. I got it for my dad when he was in recovery after major surgery and not supposed to exert himself.

I'd get DH the tshirt that looks like a lego with spikes instead of pegs. But I find that hilarious. He may not.

I hear you loud and clear. It's the little things that are bringing me significant joy this year (like that lego gingerbread house my family just gave me). And we're around our kids more so it's like these changes are under a microscope. Time to replace it with another good memory builder. I'm trying to come up with some new tradition for under DD's tree so it isn't just nothing when each year before she's made this elaborate scene and homemade hard work for her dolls. Haven't found it yet, something meaningful we can build on like she did with her dolls, I hope.

Huge hugs.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I get it. It’s sad because they are great toys and so good for the kids. I’d much rather spend my money on legos than video games. I experienced that last year for the first time.

But I don’t think it means the kids are no longer interested in Legos, just that other gifts take higher priority on the list. Last year (or maybe the year before- it seems like years before COVID19 happened), I asked for the huge Hogwarts set for my birthday which is around Christmas time. The kids had no problem putting that together for me.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds2 never liked them. Luckily we had a long run with ds1!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    DS2 never liked them either! We had so many sets he got for birthdays that he never even opened! DS1 loved them and still has his favorites displayed on shelves in his room.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD2 (12 yrs old) wishlist was mostly made up of Legos and books, lol! And because she asked for them, her older sister (14) did too, so that they can build together. DD1 is over her AG dolls but DD2 spent last weekend "wrapping" gifts for her dolls (accessory sets she already owned, lol), and putting out their stockings in her room (she has five 18" dolls - only 1 AG but all treated equally, so there are a lot of stockings and "gifts" in her room by her tiny tree right now, lol!). I will miss when this tradition ends. This is the first year they have not eagerly gotten out the Christmas Little People (nativity and santa train sets) and reminisced about it. I'm guessing DD2 would have gladly set them up for decoration but DD1 said no.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    DS2 never liked them either! We had so many sets he got for birthdays that he never even opened! DS1 loved them and still has his favorites displayed on shelves in his room.

Despite my best efforts, neither of my DC got into Lego. We had the 900 piece sets from Walmart that were Black Friday specials (regular and Duplo) and many, many sets from birthday parties. Many sets were never opened. DD had some Lego Friends sets as well. We did build some sets but they would only be played with for a day or so. DD loved to dump out that box of 900 and make “toy soup” and it took forever to clean up. When we moved we gave the non-set pieces to our elementary school librarian who had a lego club and the sets to a first grade teacher friend who used them in her classroom.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Awww - I get it. Lego and Playmobil reign supreme here. The mess is crazy but I know I will miss it when DC move on to other interests. I didn’t have Lego growing up and have enjoyed playing with them with DC. Enjoy your clear floors now that they’ve moved on!

We're in a similar boat here - I did end up buy several small and mid price lego kits even though DS didn't really put any on his list. DS got a little kit a couple weeks ago and DS very enthusiastically helped her build it so I'm hopeful. A xmas of just gaming accessories seems so drab and we need something other than screens to do for the 3 (at least!) weeks we're going to be at home and the impending lockdown. DD has just gotten into legos, she asked for them last year but really couldn't build them independently and so she got some as well. They did ask for the advent calendars - DD opens hers first thing every morning, I think DS has forgotten about his. So it's the last year for that I guess.

Honestly I feel like I really mistimed sooo many gifts over the years and bought them too early when they were too young. We got magnatiles a couple years ago and they got a little bit of play but not much. Now DD builds with them every night when I read to her and was asking for more pieces yesterday! I kind of feel the same about legos, like we gave DS big kits before he was really ready for them and if we had held out he might be really interested in them now instead of 'oh I already did that'. I hope he gets back into them in the break. With his ADHD I think he has trouble finding what he needs in the mass of legos we have now.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    Despite my best efforts, neither of my DC got into Lego. We had the 900 piece sets from Walmart that were Black Friday specials (regular and Duplo) and many, many sets from birthday parties. Many sets were never opened.
    Ha! Same here. DS used to receive so many sets for birthdays. They were super easy to regift and I sold a few at consignment sales.

But Bisous, I still totally get it. DS used to LOVE Hot Wheels. He probably had 100 cars at one time. And every time he went somewhere, he always took some with him. I would carry a spare or two in my handbag. lol The other day, a FB memory popped up. We were visiting my Granny, who has since passed on, in her nursing home. DS, who was around 4 or 5 at the time, was standing there holding cars in both hands. I think he was 7.5 when he stopped playing with them (he just turned 11 a few days ago).
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast