Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That sucks. Behavior like this will automatically mean kids from vulnerable families can’t participate, alienating them even more than isolating, virtual learning and quarantining have done. WTH?

In October our Scout Master decided it would be fun for the girls to all camp in the same tent. This was when cases were rising quickly. When I asked him why he could think this is a good idea he thought all the local schools were doing a good job of distancing kids so everyone sharing a tent would be low risk. One of the other parents (a doctor) chimed in that she was ok with it. For goodness sake, all summer the girls were camping in their own tents. What benefit would they get from all sleeping in a large troop tent that would be worth the risk of sharing COVID19?

I’ll admit, I sabotaged it. I called the campground and asked if they had rules about tent-sharing right now with local COVID19 cases rising. They of course don’t want a super spreader event at the campground so they said it tent-sharing wasn’t allowed except among family. The Scout Master scrapped the idea, thank goodness. Bunch of brainiacs.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 12-19-2020 at 04:24 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    That sucks. Behavior like this will automatically mean kids from vulnerable families can’t participate, alienating them even more than isolating, virtual learning and quarantining have done. WTH?

In October our Scout Master decided it would be fun for the girls to all camp in the same tent. This was when cases were rising quickly. When I asked him why he could think this is a good idea he thought all the local schools were doing a good job of distancing kids so everyone sharing a tent would be low risk. One of the other parents (a doctor) chimed in that she was ok with it. For goodness sake, all summer the girls were camping in their own tents. What benefit would they get from all sleeping in a large troop tent that would be worth the risk of sharing COVID19?

I’ll admit, I sabotaged it. I called the campground and asked if they had rules about tent-sharing right now with local COVID19 cases rising. They of course don’t want a super spreader event at the campground so they said it tent-sharing wasn’t allowed except among family. The Scout Master scrapped the idea, thank goodness. Bunch of brainiacs.
    WOW, i am just wow, that a Scout Master would encourage that, amidst the rise in cases! i mean, WHY do people need to be sharing a tent?

And Thank you for stepping in and quashing that. That is the right thing to do.i'm sure other parents felt wary but didn't want to be outlier. it's exhausting always having to be the "adult" or "bad guy" in these situations.

Wow, I can't believe your Scout Master would think that was even remotely okay. Our council has outlined very strict rules and no sharing tents among non-family members is definitely one of them.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In October our Scout Master decided it would be fun for the girls to all camp in the same tent. ... What benefit would they get from all sleeping in a large troop tent that would be worth the risk of sharing COVID19? ...
    We aren't allowed to have Girl Scout overnights here; it's my understanding that local BSA troops & Cub Packs are bound by similar restrictions.

Heck, our GS Council doesn't allow indoor meetings & activities, so I took my troop online just ahead of the original hybrid learning date for our school district (we're currently 100% remote) to account for the increased exposure from any girls whose families chose hybrid vs remaining remote, the changing weather, and the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

Of the 6 Scouts in my troop, I have two whose schools have returned to in-person school (one's at a small Catholic school; the other's in a different school district); one whose family attends in-person church services (in a town where the local PD won't enforce gathering limits); one whose mother over-schedules her (so she's pretty much booked every weeknight and most of the weekends; though all of her activities have moved to virtual, so mom is overwhelmed by email times 3); one whose in-school status I'm not entirely sure about (I'm pretty sure her district is also 100% remote); and DD, who will remain 100% virtual through the spring because we're trying to limit our exposure to unknowns for the ILs' sakes (ILs are over 70; MIL is in remission from leukemia while FIL has heart issues.)

We're hopeful that numbers will be low enough in the spring to resume outdoor, in-person meetings so they can practice their campfire building skills, but we don't expect to be allowed to stay overnight until 2022 the earliest.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    We aren't allowed to have Girl Scout overnights here; it's my understanding that local BSA troops & Cub Packs are bound by similar restrictions.

Heck, our GS Council doesn't allow indoor meetings & activities, so I took my troop online just ahead of the original hybrid learning date for our school district (we're currently 100% remote) to account for the increased exposure from any girls whose families chose hybrid vs remaining remote, the changing weather, and the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays.

Of the 6 Scouts in my troop, I have two whose schools have returned to in-person school (one's at a small Catholic school; the other's in a different school district); one whose family attends in-person church services (in a town where the local PD won't enforce gathering limits); one whose mother over-schedules her (so she's pretty much booked every weeknight and most of the weekends; though all of her activities have moved to virtual, so mom is overwhelmed by email times 3); one whose in-school status I'm not entirely sure about (I'm pretty sure her district is also 100% remote); and DD, who will remain 100% virtual through the spring because we're trying to limit our exposure to unknowns for the ILs' sakes (ILs are over 70; MIL is in remission from leukemia while FIL has heart issues.)

We're hopeful that numbers will be low enough in the spring to resume outdoor, in-person meetings so they can practice their campfire building skills, but we don't expect to be allowed to stay overnight until 2022 the earliest.

Wow, 2022 seems like a long ways away. Your scouts can’t even camp with family members in their own tents?

The scouting organizations must be allowing troops to make their own safety decisions. Dd and DSs are all BSA scouts. All meetings are left up to the troop but ours have been via zoom or outdoors. Back in August our DD’s troop planned a winter camp for this January. It included sleeping in a lodge together the first night and then in an outdoor shelter grouped together in non-family units the second night. When the Troop Master tonight went around asking who was comfortable with this, I was shocked to hear the doctor and nurse parents in our troops give their ok to this. Dh and I agreed that we would only be ok with outdoor winter survival activities during the day. Our troop master had been saying for weeks how great this would be. I was pleased and surprised that in the end he agreed that we didn’t need to have an overnight to do some rank advancement and winter survival activities safely outdoors.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 12-21-2020 at 02:29 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Wow, 2022 seems like a long ways away. Your scouts can’t even camp with family members in their own tents?
    Families can reserve campsites on their own, but we can't do it as a troop activity. (Our 6-girl troop would fall under the maximum state guideline limit with 8 people - we need to have a minimum of 2 Adult Volunteers, one of whom is First Aid certified/one of whom is Campout Certified to chaperone - but that doesn't matter.)

I could take DD with me on our own, but I wouldn't be allowed to take the whole troop for an overnight within current state and council COVID-19 safety guidelines.

The scouting organizations must be allowing troops to make their own safety decisions. ...
    I think it varies by governing organization; GSUSA leaves decisions up to individual councils.

Even within NJ, the 4 Girl Scout councils handled the pandemic differently - Girl Scouts of Northern NJ (GSNNJ) closed their camps for anything but virtual programming over the summer. I'm fairly certain that both Girl Scouts Heart of NJ (GSHNJ) and Girl Scouts of the Jersey Shore (GSJS) did the same, but Girl Scouts of Central & Southern NJ (GSCSNJ) - the council which my troops are part of - opened day-camps within state restriction guidelines, which meant no overnights, and allowed family camping reservations.

Troops are limited to day-camp options at Council properties, which max out at 20 people, including chaperones.

Overnights of any type, on Council property or not, are not permitted at the present time due to state restrictions and Council interpretation of their responsibility to the girls they serve. (Also, since they provide the insurance for troop meetings/activities, we need to follow their restrictions.)
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

1. I'm shocked when people want to have these big events. One of the local high schools shut down for a month because there were a large group of students who threw a Halloween party. They found out about the party when kids were discussing it on Monday morning and sent everyone home. The end.

2. As for Scouts, my daughter's troop can meet inside, no camping though. My son is BSA. They can camp in separate tents only. The camp has closed the cabins except for emergency weather conditions.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I feel ya. My mom called me last week all upset because her friends at work were all bragging about how fun their family Christmas parties were this year. Meanwhile, my mom decided to be responsible and cancel ours. We did a virtual one on Zoom yesterday but it wasn't quite the same.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by Dayzy View Post

As for Scouts, my daughter's troop can meet inside, no camping though. ...
    In our GS council, indoor meetings/activities are currently prohibited.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

cagey is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I’ve lost track of the “unsanctioned homecoming/winter formals” that I’ve seen. These are also the same people
    Upset that sports are cancelled, and I’m realizing that they’ll never get it.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast