Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default School in covid times woes.

Wednesday/Thursday at midnight DS3 woke up at midnight with a fever. No other symptoms. No covid exposures that I know of. (He does go to preschool but their positive covid numbers have miraculously been pretty low so far. I think only one or two kids out of 100+ in both AM and PM and that's since August.) Out of an abundance of caution, I kept all 3 boys home from school that day because if he did get other symptoms I didn't want to send the older kids to elementary school to expose everyone else. DS3 didn't have fever again since mid morning Thurs and was fine all day, no other covid symptoms, no one else sick, so we sent DS1 and DS2 back to school on Friday. (Our community numbers overall are really high but the district doesn't care. We did opt for in person for a variety of complicated reasons.)

We've made it since August with only one email "someone in your kid's class but not a close contact" and DS1's teacher quarantined for 2 weeks where he had a different sub every day. So I'd considered it going pretty well but knew the bottom would probably fall out after Thanksgiving break.

Sure enough, today I get a call to pick up DS1 because someone he is a close contact with (the kid who sits across from him in their "pod", has covid, last exposed *Friday*.) OF COURSE the kid who loves school and cried to be signed out is the kid who is now quarantined. And it's going to make it 100x harder to get DS2 to school because every day he wakes up asking how many more days until weekend and now he knows his brother gets to stay home for the next 2 weeks. And if I hadn't sent them Friday his last contact would have been Wednesday and probably prior to the sick kid being symptomatic. (DS1 says sick kid left school early Friday so I'm assuming didn't feel well or something..) Also, the district and health dept etc. all say it's FINE to keep sending DS2 and DS3 to school as long as no one has no symptoms (so far so good), I still feel guilty about it, but yeesh. DS2 needs to be in school, he just got his IEP for reading/writing last week after a 3 month ordeal, and DS3 is the biggest busybody and NEEDS to be in preschool as much as he can. On the bright side, the best/easiest kid to be quarantined is DS1 because he can stay home by himself for a bit, is pretty content to just stay in his room, minimal academic concerns so it's not going to be too miserable having him home.

I just wanted to whine that this sucks and I am over 2020. I know it could be so much worse and I'm thankful it isn't, but geez, we were sooo close.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just wanted to pipe in and say I’m sorry. Hopefully you are half way through your DS1’s quarantine and he’s doing ok. It’s almost done! My kids are 100% virtual learning and it is so hard. Not just paying attention to what they are learning for hours on end but the lack of seeing friends is really hard. You are not alone in struggling.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh, this is all so exhausting isn't it?!

I have several friends in district with multiple kids and they are all just taking turns being on 14 day quarantine because someone in the class tested positive. It seems they just get done with one child's class being on quarantine and then the next one falls. I just so so hope with the arrival of the vaccine that the end of this covid-go-round is near!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh. Our district delayed hybrid starting up again twice because of in-school cases; the last push-off was prior to Thanksgiving.

I hope I will never be as happy to show a year the door as I am for 2020; it's been really tough in so many different ways.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Ugh - hugs to you. It sucks all around.
    I kept DD home because of some vague symptoms this week, and then found that it's practically impossible to find the line when it's "safe" to go back. I ended up having to get her a negative test just to be sure.
    We've only been in school since the end of Sept and already I've received THREE letters from the school about exposure "in your child's classroom, but not a close contact." The constant emotional suspense is exhausting.

I wish you well with the quarantine, and juggling the multi-kid dynamic.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

UPDATED: DS1 survived quarantine just fine (living his best life really, hours of fortnite and minimal work) and no symptoms BUT a week into his quarantine I got a call from DS3's preschool and he ended up being quarantined. (Along with his entire PM preschool class.) I think that quarantine was more bs..(how is it that the entire pm class is quarantined due to "an adult in the class testing positive" and yet his teacher was still able to teach the AM class?! Shouldn't she have been quarantined too?! Anyway, it was annoying (especially because holy cow DS3 being quarantined is miserable), with a bonus of DS2, my only school-hating child having to be dragged to school each day knowing his brothers weren't going (vbucks helped though). Glad that's over. I am so glad we chose in person learning and they aren't virtual even with quarantines and all.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    UPDATED: DS1 survived quarantine just fine (living his best life really, hours of fortnite and minimal work) and no symptoms BUT a week into his quarantine I got a call from DS3's preschool and he ended up being quarantined. (Along with his entire PM preschool class.) I think that quarantine was more bs..(how is it that the entire pm class is quarantined due to "an adult in the class testing positive" and yet his teacher was still able to teach the AM class?! Shouldn't she have been quarantined too?! Anyway, it was annoying (especially because holy cow DS3 being quarantined is miserable), with a bonus of DS2, my only school-hating child having to be dragged to school each day knowing his brothers weren't going (vbucks helped though). Glad that's over. I am so glad we chose in person learning and they aren't virtual even with quarantines and all.
    Some areas are considering teachers essential workers, so they only have to quarantine if they have symptoms, not just an exposure as they are so short of teachers/substitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Some areas are considering teachers essential workers, so they only have to quarantine if they have symptoms, not just an exposure as they are so short of teachers/substitutes.
    That's interesting. Our area requires a quarantine for exposure for teachers, the reason stated by the school board for reverting to all virtual for at least 2 weeks upon return from winter break. The schools were having trouble staffing classrooms in December due to sick and/or quarantined teachers.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    That's interesting. Our area requires a quarantine for exposure for teachers, the reason stated by the school board for reverting to all virtual for at least 2 weeks upon return from winter break. The schools were having trouble staffing classrooms in December due to sick and/or quarantined teachers.
    It’s been scary reading my teacher FB pages. What some districts are doing is downright dangerous!

I just read the Ohio governor decided classroom contacts don’t need to quarantine as long as they wore masks and exposure to infected person was in a classroom setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast