Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    i have become so disgusted by some people's comments and actions as of late. i want to "unfriend" so many people...
    If you can't unfriend without drama then unfollow and limit your social media time. (I have had to limit my social media time, otherwise I get really angry about everything.)

... these past 9 months we have been strict with the social distancing and kids have not been going anywhere, and we have not traveled to visit family. My company has cancelled every social event and has encouraged everyone to work from home which i have been doing. Feel like we are the kids stuck with doing all the work for a group project , needing to be the "responsible ones" while so many others go out
    YES! I hate group projects for the bolded reason and this is a good description of how I feel, too.

I see that lack of seriousness here, too, and we were SLAMMED in the early days. The hospital a mile from my brother's house was overflowing!

DD's bestie's family has been gathering with extended family, indoors, and unmasked. We're at the point where we are considering barring the kids from getting together in person at all because that exponential tree is still going crazy in my head.

i am in TX where the cases are pretty high in our area. From an online tracking tool (maybe NYtimes?) i saw that there was very few open ICU beds left in our county. Yet people roll out with the holiday parties. It just feels so incredibly irresponsible. If that makes me a judgy person, so be it.
    It is irresponsible and it's a part of the reason the "flatten the curve" messaging from March/April was both helpful and hurtful to keeping community spread low - helpful, in that it made the general population aware of the concrete steps individuals can take to reduce viral spread, but also hurtful, in that far too many people believed that flattening the curve meant after the curve was flat, everything was hunkydory. And that was never the case - flattening the curve helps free up hospital capacity for other patients, while spiking numbers mean there are fewer beds for surgical recovery or admissions from the ER or whatever else.

It's frustrating.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

no worries. dh and i already talk about moving to west coast after kids are out of the house. i think i'd love to live in the PNW!

main reasons we are here is lower cost of living and to be near (dh's) family. and, my job (which i love) is here. after March this year though i've been fully remote, we haven't traveled to visited family. though, i am glad to have a big new house during this quarantine - very useful for 2 remote learners + 2 WFH parents.

dh tries to make the point that there is lot of people with backwards beliefs in CA (where i grew up) and other areas too. and i do see his point. the bay area + LA/oc are the main places i'd want to live that have less of that, but then they are more congested and ridiculously expensive, and public schools aren't as great.

the thing with the pandemic that has made things hard that i haven't been able to socialize with coworkers and friends (most with like minded beliefs). they've all been quarantining and social distancing as well. so, any interaction i have these days is limited to social media. which is apparently where so many people tend to repeatedly flaunt their carelessness.

also, i should point out that my perspective is based on interactions of mostly white, Christian women in specific suburban areas and social circles that are rather privileged. Many are SAHMs. They have acted like the shut down orders/3 wks of virtual schooling were an attack on their personal freedom. Different areas in Texas (like Austin, or even Dallas proper) and different circles i am sure are way different.

I just saw a recent trending article from Texas Monthly that perfectly describes the level of privilege and ignorance in this pandemic i have gotten so frustrated with. It is about what some TX wedding photographers have had to deal with during COVID (entitled brides, etc). Worth a read. Sadly, I wasn't surprised by these stories at all.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-t...ave-seen-some/

That Texas Monthly article is really something, especially the first story. I can’t fathom how a person goes forward with a big wedding knowing they are covid positive and tells no one, really shockingly selfish.

Generally things in our area are good as masks are required and worn many places. Things have really gotten tough since outside ceased to be option for teens and young adults as I posted in my other thread.

Also have family that continue to travel even though they have health care background and should know better. It’s all frustrating.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Anyone see yesterday’s news of crowded train stations and mass exodus out of London after they announced the new Tier 4 lockdown starting this morning, due to a new variation in the virus that appears to be extra contagious. Now being spread all over the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry Ms. Pacman, I share your frustration with all of it and how many people are just not even trying to make sense of things, understand science, recognize the potential impact of their actions, etc. Especially now when cases are skyrocketing . I keep telling myself they are operating out of fear, and try to find compassion from that angle but I mostly I just feel angry and sad.
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

I feel like I could have written your post. It's so frustrating and I handle it better on some days than others. North Carolina has gone crazy. Everyone is posting pictures of kids on Santa's lap, no masks. I see gatherings all through our neighborhood. Churches filling on Sundays without masks and distance. A friend posted a church youth group meeting with over 20 teens packed together in a room. DH and I declined an invite for a party last night. 12 couples were invited and we were the only one not there. My poor kids are some of the only ones not carrying on with usual kid socialization. My 15 year old has all but lost his friends since he can't hang out inside friends' houses with the group. There's now a wedge between many of our family friends since we approach everything so differently. At this point, I don't think it's as political as it once was. I'm seeing plenty of my D friends hanging out in large groups and shopping in packed malls without good masking. Guess Santa will keep the Covid away.

My friends in healthcare are drowning. It's bad and they know it is only getting worse. Of course there is hope now with the vaccine but it's still a slap in their faces when so many refuse to change their lives to save others. With the skyrocketing numbers, we should be doubling down but most appear to be going the other direction.

There are others out there acting and feeling the same as you. Hang in there! You are keeping your family safe and potentially saving others in the process.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My judgy moment: a lady I go to church with announced she has Covid. She's also an anti-mask person, etc. And she and her sisters and their families have been all up in each others homes, etc this whole time. They last showed pictures of themselves on Monday night all together baking cookies, before she was diagnosed on Wednesday. Her sister, who should be quarantining due to close contact just started posting pics of her and her family in Walt Disney World as of Friday. How the crap do you decide that that's acceptable???
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    That Texas Monthly article is really something, especially the first story. I can’t fathom how a person goes forward with a big wedding knowing they are covid positive and tells no one, really shockingly selfish.

Generally things in our area are good as masks are required and worn many places. Things have really gotten tough since outside ceased to be option for teens and young adults as I posted in my other thread.

Also have family that continue to travel even though they have health care background and should know better. It’s all frustrating.
    Oh my gosh! This quote:

“I have children,” she told a bridesmaid. “What if my children die?” The bridesmaid responded, “I understand, but this is her wedding day.”

!!!!!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

i have become so disgusted by some people's comments and actions as of late. i want to "unfriend" so many people. lol

i have several doctor friends who posted pics of themselves getting the vaccine. i've also seen these type of posts from healthcare workers/RNs in various health/fitness FB groups. In any case, it makes me so happy - the light at the end of the tunnel, a cause for celebration. I also think it's a celebration of the hardwork of those who worked tirelessly to do the research and also support the manufacturing of it (in such little time). But i was disturbed to see a decent number of negative and *hateful* comments on these posts! People remarking that they just posted this photo to get attention, how they are stupid to trust it, how they are spreading political propaganda, etc. LOTs of comments like this. Um......A healthcare worker working during a global pandemic (who literally risks their lives to help save others) finally getting a vaccine....... and so many roll out ignorant and hateful comments. I get that some are wary of the vaccine, or not everyone can take it.....but i think this goes beyond that. I feel a large segment of our population is hopelessly brainwashed. Maybe that is rude to say, but that's the best way i describe it. The amount of vitriol i see people lashing out right now to Drs getting the vax is just ridiculous.

also, i have several mom friends who keep posting all over IG tons of photos of their holiday parties and social-get togethers. Large groups (think 8-10 families) inside their house, eating/drinking/playing as normal, huddling together for photos, no masks in sight. THey did same thing for thanksgiving. Meanwhile these past 9 months we have been strict with the social distancing and kids have not been going anywhere, and we have not traveled to visit family. My company has cancelled every social event and has encouraged everyone to work from home which i have been doing. Feel like we are the kids stuck with doing all the work for a group project , needing to be the "responsible ones" while so many others go out

what gets me is that not only people have these big parties during COVID, as if nothing is wrong- they are PROUD of it (!)and spread it over social media. this keeps coming back to the brainwashed theory. Why else would someone do this (repeated host large, indoor get-togethers), and be proud if it, if they literally didn't believe COVID was a serious threat, especially in DECEMBER?

i am in TX where the cases are pretty high in our area. From an online tracking tool (maybe NYtimes?) i saw that there was very few open ICU beds left in our county. Yet people roll out with the holiday parties. It just feels so incredibly irresponsible. If that makes me a judgy person, so be it.
    Hello from the midwest, where people still think that covid is a hoax and that the election was, "stolen." We are the ONLY purple county in the entire state still left and people are crying that it is, "no fair" and a conspiracy. Meanwhile, basic social distancing and mask wearing are scoffed at as a violation of their, "freedom." Many people have been hospitalized and have died, I have even had those who have had loved ones who died, still tell me to my face that this is a hoax and, "masks don't work." No, they don't work if you effing wear them around your neck or under the nose, and use it simply to get into stores, because of the mandatory mask mandates! I am so mad, I just generally want nothing to do with people. The only ones who I am friends with who are being super careful are all my liberal friends. We live in trumptown, so there is no surprise that it is idiot central where I live. DH is hoping to get the kids through college before we move away from this area, but ugh I have struggled the entire 18 years we have lived here.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh my gosh! This quote:

“I have children,” she told a bridesmaid. “What if my children die?” The bridesmaid responded, “I understand, but this is her wedding day.”

!!!!!
    I saw that! How clueless can people be???

SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I am with you on this . I am in IL . Same thing !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast