Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Final Update! - Mask for outdoor exercise and cold weather -

The Underarmor sport mask for the win. I skied full out skate style nordic for 2 hours and while it was hot, I never felt like someone was holding a plastic bag over my mouth. It never touched my face. I am very happy with it. Once the snow really comes, and we are in the woods, on longer more spread out trails I can lower the mask, but at the prep school we ski at, they have a 2K loop and make snow and have lights and have a mask on or leave policy that they enforce. I feel very safe skiing there while older DD jumps.

It feels dry even after hard exercise and really keeps away from your face. I feel like I can really talk in it.

Cons: you have to hand wash- that gets annoying every night. I will have to order more.
    With the cold upon us, none of my cotton masks are working for Nordic ski or long walks, snowshoeing and being outside. Even standing outside today, my cotton mask got wet fast, then froze to my face. We just bought Skida double layer neck gators, but those are too hot for most days, those are good for long skis when we will see few to no people, days less than 10 and when standing around outside for long periods.

I need something for 15-20 degree days when we are outside for a few hours. We Nordic ski pretty much every Saturday and Sunday, 2-3 afternoons a week and we will need masks for parts of it. DD1 ski jumps, so I will need a good winter mask for those days, there are no inside spaces this year. I snowshoe with the dog and friends. They all work in the hospital so we wear masks when together even snowshoeing outside.

Short of buying lycra and stretch polyester from Joanne's, I have no idea what to buy that dries well and is comfortable and effective. I really hate sewing with lycra. I have made some cotton masks, but I want to buy us all winter athletic masks.

DD's will have to ski, race, jump, practice with masks the whole time. So we need quick dry and I need them yesterday (of course- I only had months to think about this).
    Last edited by trales; 01-16-2021 at 08:54 PM. Reason: update
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Costco has 32 degree brand masks. They had them in store (4 pack) and online (8 pack). They are a synthetic material that reminds me of my neoprene ski mask, but thinner. They run about $3 per mask.

The kids and I like the regular size ones. DH can use those, but the fit isn't as good on him, so I may get him the extended size ones next time I go.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have those 32 degrees masks mentioned above and my kids have worn them for sports and sledding with friends. They do sometimes get damp but dry quickly and are much better than their cotton masks for exercise and cold. We also have the Under Armour masks which is what I am planning for us to wear skiing. They are comfortable, are sporty type material and leave some space in the front. They are also have thicker (but soft) ear straps, which my kids find stay on easier with their baseball/softball helmets and im thinking that might be true of a ski helmet too. They are also thicker so I’m thinking they will handle the wind/moisture better. But we haven’t actually tried them for skiing yet.

I would go look at Seirus winter masks at Dick's or REI. They are made for outdoor winter use before COVID but I think some would work for your needs. For full disclosure, the reason I know about them is because I do merchandising and audits for thrm , but I have no financial interest otherwise.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just finished our 3rd day of skiing. Masks are required while in lift lines... temps have been 18-30 degrees. We have a variety of neck warmers that we have been pulling up and tucking under goggles while in line. They all get wet! The moisture from your breath makes it impossible to keep anything dry. I have seen every kind of face covering over the last few days and nothing stays dry in these conditions. We put ours in dryer when we come in for lunch and wash and dry at end of day. I asked one of the people working the life line about her face cover (employees are all wearing branded neck gaitor type masks and she said they get wet and they change frequently.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For skiing, I’d invest in the MFI goggles from Anon.

https://www.burton.com/us/en/c/mfi-facemasks

https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/kids-...21-185371.html

I switched my mask twice a day and used the Athleta masks or my Tory Burch. They worked the best with the goggles but they end up wet.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 12-23-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mine get damp just from walking, so I can’t imagine more strenuous exercise. I started wearing these under my mask when walking g for exercise. While not perfect, it is a big improvement.
    3D Face Inner Bracket for Comfortable Breathing,Face Internal Support Frame|Under Frame Lipstick Protector Keep Fabric off Mouth to Create More Breathing Space[Washable|Reusable|Translucent,5Pcs] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08D7KNCCF..._xt04FbKZYW8AE

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    For skiing, I’d invest in the MFI goggles from Anon.

https://www.burton.com/us/en/c/mfi-facemasks

https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/kids-...21-185371.html

I switched my mask twice a day and used the Athleta masks or my Tory Burch. They worked the best with the goggles but they end up wet.
    I also invested in the Anon MFI goggles this year for me and the kids, but haven't had time to test them out yet since they are wrapped under the tree!

When we skied this weekend, we all wore a paper mask under a buff or a gaiter. We only skied for the morning, and the masks were wet by the end, but I would have changed it out for another 20 cent mask if we had continued to ski. I think the paper masks offer some additional protection for the wearer versus most stretchy cloth ones, and are easy and comfortable for me. The paper is a little stiffer and stays away from my face more than any of the cloth masks I've ever tried. I admit I did not expect this to work, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not the cutest look in the world, but whatev...
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I also invested in the Anon MFI goggles this year for me and the kids, but haven't had time to test them out yet since they are wrapped under the tree!

When we skied this weekend, we all wore a paper mask under a buff or a gaiter. We only skied for the morning, and the masks were wet by the end, but I would have changed it out for another 20 cent mask if we had continued to ski. I think the paper masks offer some additional protection for the wearer versus most stretchy cloth ones, and are easy and comfortable for me. The paper is a little stiffer and stays away from my face more than any of the cloth masks I've ever tried. I admit I did not expect this to work, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not the cutest look in the world, but whatev...
    I was wondering if paper masks might be the solution. Thanks for experimenting for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is all good info. The nearest Costco is over an hour away, but I can order online and try them. I will look into the googles, she wears the helmet and googles for jumping.
    Thanks all, keep it coming. That bracket looks intriguing.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast