Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would definitely try masks like a KN95. They're not all created equal, apparently, but your situation sounds pretty safe with being outside the whole time.

If you want to try to whip something up: polyester FLEECE! It's easy to sew (I also hate sewing lycra or really any knit), and you could use it as the inner layer (the fabric closest to your face), with a woven cotton or rayon as the outer layer. The outer layer will still get wet, but the fleece may help keep things more comfortable against the skin.

Also, I've heard good things about the Starks masks (Starks vacuums). Some people complain you can still blow out a candle with these masks, but good filter material really should be both breathable and effective and with you being outside the whole time, I would feel safe with these (if you need to walk inside, can then pull a neck gaiter up over the mask).
    Last edited by twowhat?; 12-23-2020 at 10:43 AM.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't think we will need the KN95 bc we won't ever be inside. The jumping center is not allowing anyone indoors, change in your car, jump practice go home. The way the skis and jumps are the kids are never closer than 25-30 feet. Nordic ski, the trails are long and wide and you really can't get too close to people or you will stab them with your poles. My poles are over 5 feet long.

That being said, many of the ski areas are requiring masking at all times, so I want something that is effective and quick drying. Our Skida neck gaiters came today and we ran around outside for about 60 minutes and they are AMAZING, but with the light polar fleece inside and lycra outside, they are going to get HOT fast. It was hovering around 30 and I would roast if I had to wear that the whole day.

Gap was having a sale on masks, so I just ordered their nylon, polyester, lycra ones for $5 a 3 pack- even if they don't work so well, they were cheaper than I could buy fabric. I will report back!

It looks like the Costco ones are available to be shipped, so I will try a pack of those.

Thanks!
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    This is all good info. The nearest Costco is over an hour away, but I can order online and try them. I will look into the googles, she wears the helmet and googles for jumping.
    Thanks all, keep it coming. That bracket looks intriguing.
    DS’s Nordic club and high school teams have been using the bracket under their masks with good reviews. He uses it with either the under armour mask or a neoprene type one.
    We also have a couple local moms making a combo mask/gaiter with the earloops since they have to wear it continuously at the ski track. The top part is a double layer jersey mask and the bottom is a fleece gaiter. The kids really seem to like them and the bracket helps hold it away from the nose/mouth. Older DS won’t use it until it gets colder though...he’s still skiing in smartwool tights and a t-shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    I don't think we will need the KN95 bc we won't ever be inside. The jumping center is not allowing anyone indoors, change in your car, jump practice go home. The way the skis and jumps are the kids are never closer than 25-30 feet. Nordic ski, the trails are long and wide and you really can't get too close to people or you will stab them with your poles. My poles are over 5 feet long.

That being said, many of the ski areas are requiring masking at all times, so I want something that is effective and quick drying. Our Skida neck gaiters came today and we ran around outside for about 60 minutes and they are AMAZING, but with the light polar fleece inside and lycra outside, they are going to get HOT fast. It was hovering around 30 and I would roast if I had to wear that the whole day.

Gap was having a sale on masks, so I just ordered their nylon, polyester, lycra ones for $5 a 3 pack- even if they don't work so well, they were cheaper than I could buy fabric. I will report back!

It looks like the Costco ones are available to be shipped, so I will try a pack of those.

Thanks!
    We are big nordic skiers here so I am very interested to hear when you finally settle on for that. I wore cotton yesterday and sometimes a paper mask. I tried the mask frame but it was too big for my face and didn't stay in place.

chlobo is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by billysmommy View Post
    We also have a couple local moms making a combo mask/gaiter with the earloops since they have to wear it continuously at the ski track. The top part is a double layer jersey mask and the bottom is a fleece gaiter. The kids really seem to like them and the bracket helps hold it away from the nose/mouth. Older DS won’t use it until it gets colder though...he’s still skiing in smartwool tights and a t-shirt

Would you happen to have a picture of this? Sounds intriguing. Is it a club mom making the masks or a high school mom?

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    Would you happen to have a picture of this? Sounds intriguing. Is it a club mom making the masks or a high school mom?
    It’s 2 local moms who have started making them. We’re doing a fundraiser for the HS team in our school colors with them. They’ll have them for the first race. They’ll probably start trickling through EMN soon as I know some have purchased from their site.

Here’s their website - https://fozzimask.com

Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Following. We have a ski trip planned for late Feb and I was not sure what our best option would be since they require masks at all times (which I'm thankful for!).

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Following. We have a ski trip planned for late Feb and I was not sure what our best option would be since they require masks at all times (which I'm thankful for!).
    We just wore our fleece gaiters and balaclavas, but then again, they were only necessary when standing in line or sitting on the patio. Active skiing didn't require masks.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Under Armour or 32 Degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Gap/ BR/ Old Navy ones that are polyester/ nylon/ lycra - well, they work great when standing and watching kids skis, but try skate skiing uphill, every time you suck in a deep breath, you inhale the mask and it is like having a plastic bag shoved in your mouth. It wasn't good.

The Skida neck gaiter so far is the best, but it is HOT if it is over 25.

The school we ski at ordered their kids this mask over with ear loop, but then it is like a neck gaiter and tucks into the jacket and the kids report it does not go in your mouth and you can actually take a deep breath. As soon as I find out the brand I will share.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast