Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Urinary incontinence in tween boy (SSRIs?)

DS1 (11) has been having urine accidents during the day. (he has been peeing a lot, and we chalked it up to anxiety since otherwise no other health issues.) About a month ago I noticed that there were fresh dribbles on the carpet in the basement next to the couch. DS denied it, but it was obviously him since his pants were damp in the crotch. We took him to the pediatrician, and first thought was constipation. (Urine was normal). According to his X-ray, he was moderately constipated and doctor thought 60/40 that was the culprit. She ordered a miralax clean out plus maintenance for a month, and she’d refer him to a pediatric urologist if the problem persisted. Well, three weeks later, I noticed he was still having accidents. Always during the days and by the couch in the basement (where the boys watch movies). So we went back to the pediatrician earlier this week, and his latest X-ray revealed he’s pretty well cleaned out, so it’s not constipation causing the issue. She thinks it could be the Zoloft he’s on. We noticed increased urination starting about 15 months ago, just a month or so after starting Zoloft. (His endocrinologist checked his urine then and said everything was fine.) Since Zoloft isn’t the sort of med you can just go on and off of for “fun”, she suggested waiting until we see the urologist. We don’t have an appointment yet because of the holidays and who knows how long it will take for the referral to go through.

I just was wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue. DS is obviously very embarrassed about it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Urinary incontinence in tween boy (SSRIs?)

Not the exact situation but my DS would have drips and complain that he could not complete get all the urine out. He would go atleast 6 times in 5 minutes for fear of having an accident and it got extremely annoying especially at bedtime. We tried steroid cream for a little bit based on the urologist recommendation but finally gave up and went ahead and got him circumcised at 8 years old about a year ago. The exact condition is called phimosis I believe and it’s something DH faced as a kid as well.
    Sorry no experience with ADD meds but thought I’d mention this as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

diamond is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    Not the exact situation but my DS would have drips and complain that he could not complete get all the urine out. He would go atleast 6 times in 5 minutes for fear of having an accident and it got extremely annoying especially at bedtime. We tried steroid cream for a little bit based on the urologist recommendation but finally gave up and went ahead and got him circumcised at 8 years old about a year ago. The exact condition is called phimosis I believe and it’s something DH faced as a kid as well.
    Sorry no experience with ADD meds but thought I’d mention this as a possibility.

Myira,. Our 9 yo DS has the foreskin issue too. The ped told us at his 8 yo week baby check that he would give us a steroid cream... We Are going soon to his 9 yo week baby check soon and will ask the ped. Our ds also pees a lot, like very frequently and it's annoying. I was worried and got him tested for sugar last year and it's all fine. Want to retake it at the next visit again.. why did you discontinue the steroid cream Was it not helpful? Was having the circumcision much more helpful in stopping the continuous peeing? How is the foreskin even related to peeing?

I know this sounds simplistic, but is he not wanting to stop what he’s watching or playing (if have gaming system set up on TV) and waits to long to make it to the bathroom? And if Zoloft makes him need to go more or have harder time controlling? Good luck, I’m sure this is hard on him too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I know this sounds simplistic, but is he not wanting to stop what he’s watching or playing (if have gaming system set up on TV) and waits to long to make it to the bathroom? And if Zoloft makes him need to go more or have harder time controlling? Good luck, I’m sure this is hard on him too.

I was thinking exactly this

This was my thought.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If it was medication related I'd think he'd be having accidents at night too.

Years ago I wrote about my DS1 having multiple urine accidents, but it was at night only, when he was sleeping. We had multiple urology appointments, diabetes testing, etc but after keeping a food diary for several months it turned out to be a gluten intolerance. Every time he'd eat gluten, in any amount, he'd wet the bed 2 nights in a row. This is common among kids with gluten issues and celiac disease, but I've only heard of it causing nighttime accidents.

If it's only when playing video games and watching movies I'd also think it would be related to him waiting too long to go. Does it not happen when you're out and about, when he's at school, etc?

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    Myira,. Our 9 yo DS has the foreskin issue too. The ped told us at his 8 yo week baby check that he would give us a steroid cream... We Are going soon to his 9 yo week baby check soon and will ask the ped. Our ds also pees a lot, like very frequently and it's annoying. I was worried and got him tested for sugar last year and it's all fine. Want to retake it at the next visit again.. why did you discontinue the steroid cream Was it not helpful? Was having the circumcision much more helpful in stopping the continuous peeing? How is the foreskin even related to peeing?
    The steroid cream was supposed to thin the foreskin and help with eventually pulling it back but in his case that did not happen after using it for a while. So urine would collect under the foreskin, and if he did not get the dribbles out, he’d soil his underwear. Well really it’d be just drops but enough to make him uncomfortable. Finally, it was becoming an obsession of his and so we bit the bullet on circumcision, based on his ped and the urologist recommendations.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

We were thinking about this, but he will pee every 20-30 minutes during a movie or show...so he’s peeing frequently and doesn’t have a problem stopping what he’s doing. He claims he doesn’t notice when it happens. But how can you ignore damp pants?

DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    The steroid cream was supposed to thin the foreskin and help with eventually pulling it back but in his case that did not happen after using it for a while. So urine would collect under the foreskin, and if he did not get the dribbles out, he’d soil his underwear. Well really it’d be just drops but enough to make him uncomfortable. Finally, it was becoming an obsession of his and so we bit the bullet on circumcision, based on his ped and the urologist recommendations.

I will keep this in mind. But I will find multiple dribbles on the carpet, and I can’t imagine that much urine being trapped in his foreskin. He is uncircumcised though.

DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast