SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Like herding cats

I've been trying to plan a trip with extended family since August. Finally gave up and decided to just do us but now people are interested. And of course selection is far less than it was in August. And people are being picky. Sigh. Thinking about recalling the invite.
    (and of course there is the concern that Covid will throw a wrench in our plans too!)

I know it’s the bitching post, but I don’t think it’s fair to expect anyone to commit to vacations with people outside of their immediate bubble.

Under normal circumstances that sort of thing drives me batty since I’m a huge planner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I know it’s the bitching post, but I don’t think it’s fair to expect anyone to commit to vacations with people outside of their immediate bubble.

Under normal circumstances that sort of thing drives me batty since I’m a huge planner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For sure! It was the wishy washy that’s frustrating. If anyone had ever just replied to me or said a simple yes/no vs “still thinking.” Last night dh’s mom called to decline. Today she called to say yes. Thus, herding cats. Also, I know my people and they are all less cautious than we are so that isn’t at play.

We would do the isolate/test strategy as we all have the ability to meaningfully do that. Unless we can get the vaccine before then 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    For sure! It was the wishy washy that’s frustrating. If anyone had ever just replied to me or said a simple yes/no vs “still thinking.” Last night dh’s mom called to decline. Today she called to say yes. Thus, herding cats. Also, I know my people and they are all less cautious than we are so that isn’t at play.

We would do the isolate/test strategy as we all have the ability to meaningfully do that. Unless we can get the vaccine before then 爛

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I hate wishy- washy. Just choose one- yes, no, or I’ll discuss and get back to you with a definite answer. My cousin pulled that on me a year ago when we invited her to our house-party in France (that got canceled). Ive never seen anything like it. It took her 2 months to talk it over, tell us yes, then no, then maybe and then, “can we invite my adult daughter (who I have met once) and her boyfriend? Can we invite my boyfriends’ European family members who we’ve never met?” Um no. And guess who isn’t getting invited back when we reschedule the French trip.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So sorry, wishy washy is the definition of every member of everyone in my extended family on all sides, it has nothing to do with COVID for us, just how they are.

My vacation time is extremely limited so I book where we want to go, just for the 3 of us (and sometimes one of DD friends whose family will commit).

About a decade ago (probably longer) I started doing the "we're going to x for vacation for the following dates. We'd love for you to meet us there." Because it was so frustrating and expensive to book a place that we had all agreed to and I coordinated and the rest of the folks that had agreed would change plans or dates or folks that had declined wanted to be added in and there wasn't physical space or wanted us to then coordinate their transporation after I had figured everything else out already. I work 60-80 hours a week plus have a regular life. It was too much. We've had family join us now twice in that entire length of time. Sad, frustrating, better than nothing and WAY better than planning the most stress inducing vacation ever (for me). Good luck. I am so sorry.