Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I miss quiet

What’s that? I really have forgotten what a quiet house feels like and can’t even remember last time I was alone in my own home.

I was about to take my solo 2 night trip end of November but broke my foot. So that trip was cancelled and my world went down from whole house where I could escape to my room, master bath or go out for walks/solo drive to think to just my recliner in the den. So of course everyone is around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

I do get quiet time as my kids are older and will do their own stuff, but it's not the same as being alone in the house, which I really miss. DH works from home so is at home basically all the time. My kids are in different cohorts in school, so I don't even have both kids in school at the same time.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Solidarity! My DD2 (11) is nonstop talking or making noise. She has to fill the void with sound. All.day.long.

I got up at 6am the other day (vacation day) just to do yoga in peace. 5 mins in and DD2 comes downstairs. Today I did yoga in my bedroom with the door closed. 10min in and she comes into the room to pet the dog (who follows me everywhere). Yesterday I sat down to read a book and literally opened to the page and both DDs came up and asked if I wanted to play a game.

And now that they are getting older they stay up later so what used to be my evening quiet is no longer my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Amen! dd1 stays in her room most of the time but when she comes out its to scream and throw teenage tantrums. During dinner, she talks NONSTOP. I finally told her one day that teens are supposed to be morose and silent and not to want to talk to their parents after she kept going on and on and on about some story. DD2 makes noise incessantly. She talks, she hums, she sings. She talks to the dogs in baby talk. She plays her violin or her flute.

At the beginning of quarantine I started walking daily. Alone. I started at a mile, then bumped it to 2. Now, I walk between 3-6mi a day. just so I can escape the talking
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Ladies...I figured it out!!

QUIET TIME is reinstated! An hour or more each day is saving my sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have done this since March and I do often reflect on how this has saved us all. We have a little house and I think we ALL need the separation. We have FIVE rooms (3 bedrooms, living room and dining/kitchen) and 6 people. So it is REALLY hard, even in quiet time to be truly alone.

My other "hack" is getting up at 5:00. I CRAVE it. To the point that my sisters asked my NYE plans and my response was "I'm planning on trying as hard as I can to get to bed at a regular time so that I can still get up early without being grouchy so that I can have my alone time" which sounded really pathetic when I typed it out as a text.

And I still think that having a quiet house will be one of the things I most look forward to! I LOVE being with my people, but a quiet house sounds magnificent!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I have done this since March and I do often reflect on how this has saved us all. We have a little house and I think we ALL need the separation. We have FIVE rooms (3 bedrooms, living room and dining/kitchen) and 6 people. So it is REALLY hard, even in quiet time to be truly alone.
    t!
    We have more rooms than people here. Yet we were all squeezed into one room this afternoon. I was on the phone on hold this afternoon. DC brought their lego sets to my office to keep me company. DH follows shortly after with a book to read in my glider. They have music on, DS2 has a constant monologue going, DS1 is commenting on the monologue, hold music playing and not a one of them was bothered by the noise. Meanwhile I can’t hear the woman on the phone and I have to bypass all the land mines they’ve dragged in with them when I get up to do anything. I couldn’t help but laugh at the irony of us all basically on top of each other and the rest of the house completely empty!

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    We have more rooms than people here. Yet we were all squeezed into one room this afternoon. I was on the phone on hold this afternoon. DC brought their lego sets to my office to keep me company. DH follows shortly after with a book to read in my glider. They have music on, DS2 has a constant monologue going, DS1 is commenting on the monologue, hold music playing and not a one of them was bothered by the noise. Meanwhile I can’t hear the woman on the phone and I have to bypass all the land mines they’ve dragged in with them when I get up to do anything. I couldn’t help but laugh at the irony of us all basically on top of each other and the rest of the house completely empty!
    Aww. Part of me smiles that they love you so much (even if it gets a little too much sometimes!) Good to know that even in a big space we might be on top of each other!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Aww. Part of me smiles that they love you so much (even if it gets a little too much sometimes!) Good to know that even in a big space we might be on top of each other!
    I grumble but it sure is nice to feel wanted. (Currently paying bills as DS2 (nearly 11) plays on the floor while he's on break from school. He runs up here after each class session.)

My other "hack" is getting up at 5:00. I CRAVE it. To the point that my sisters asked my NYE plans and my response was "I'm planning on trying as hard as I can to get to bed at a regular time so that I can still get up early without being grouchy so that I can have my alone time" which sounded really pathetic when I typed it out as a text.

And I still think that having a quiet house will be one of the things I most look forward to! I LOVE being with my people, but a quiet house sounds magnificent!
    oh wait--you didn't count the bathroom :-)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    oh wait--you didn't count the bathroom :-)
    That should be my spot. The OG original solace for "alone time" for moms everywhere...

Really though, most days I can send someone to front carport or backyard so I shouldn't complain!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast