Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mamma2004 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Recommend your anti-aging skin care, please!

I am 51 and look tired and old. Slight exaggeration, but the fine lines - especially around my eyes - make me crazy. Sun damage in my youth, coupled with inheriting my dad's skin (rather than my mom's soft, olive, Italian skin). My dermatologist is retiring and seems less than engaged, so I am here to ask you! (the post about "old timers" prompted my coming here to ask)

I was all ready for Retin-A until I heard that retinol is actually damaging. I have heard great things about $$$ lines such as Beauty Counter and Osmosis for more natural ingredients to combat wrinkles. I just don't know.

I welcome your thoughts and experience!
    Stephanie

Mamma to James

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following...and would love help with dark spots if anyone has tips to share.

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Retin-A (tretinoin) and Vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) are the only things that have any data behind them. Also, retinol is not Retin-A, it's a less potent derivative. A good vitamin C serum in the morning (with l-ascorbic, not the alternatives) and sunscreen. Retin-A at night. Anything else is gravy but I use a lot of gravy on my 51 year old face. I recommend the book Skin Care by Caroline Hirons, and check out her YouTube channel. If you are a science nerd like me watch Lab Muffin Beauty Science. She's a chemist and picks apart myths. Neither of these women tolerate the green washing, chemicals are toxic garbage that it so popular right now. Tretinoin is expensive in the US, and a really good Vit C serum can be pricey but Maelove makes a great one under $30.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    Retin-A (tretinoin) and Vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) are the only things that have any data behind them. Also, retinol is not Retin-A, it's a less potent derivative. A good vitamin C serum in the morning (with l-ascorbic, not the alternatives) and sunscreen. Retin-A at night. Anything else is gravy but I use a lot of gravy on my 51 year old face. I recommend the book Skin Care by Caroline Hirons, and check out her YouTube channel. If you are a science nerd like me watch Lab Muffin Beauty Science. She's a chemist and picks apart myths. Neither of these women tolerate the green washing, chemicals are toxic garbage that it so popular right now. Tretinoin is expensive in the US, and a really good Vit C serum can be pricey but Maelove makes a great one under $30.
    Is there an easy way to get Retin-A? Does it require a rx? Dermatologists around here aren’t easy to get into so I’d love to know if there’s another way to get it. Maybe a tele-health derm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Is there an easy way to get Retin-A? Does it require a rx? Dermatologists around here aren’t easy to get into so I’d love to know if there’s another way to get it. Maybe a tele-health derm?

Also wondering about this. Anyone know if Curology can prescribe it?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Also wondering about this. Anyone know if Curology can prescribe it?
    Yes. This is their business model. There's a list on their site of what states they can ship to.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

I just got some from my Derm at my annual skin check visit. If you have seen one in the past year they should prescribe with just a phone call. It was $100 for a tube that should last 9-12 months.

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    2nd this. Retinol goes through a 3 step chemical change process that can be more harsh that using Tretinoin. Tret and Vitamin C are proven actives that actually work. Better to spend the money on these than less potent and marked up OTC retinol products.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following too!! I remember reading a thread on here where someone posted that their derm said there were only 3 things you really need for 40+: sunscreen, hyaluronic acid, and something else but I don't think it was retinol...off to see if I can find it...

I ordered myself hyaluronic acid from Paula's Choice but haven't used it yet...
    Last edited by twowhat?; 12-16-2020 at 10:28 AM.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following. Turn 46 in Feb. Having had to record a few virtual keynotes/addresses and several publicity pictures I've found myself my god when did my face start looking old?! I seriously think the pandemic has aged me. My #11 between my eyes and my marionette lines are more pronounced and my skin just feels overall saggy. I definitely now get the allure of botox and a face lift...not that I personally would do either...but man I get whey famous people get that work done!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast