Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default driver training simulator

Anxious teen worried about driving- are there any good driver trainer video games or simulators? He's not a gamer in general but I thought this might help.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is he signed up for drivers ed yet? Most do observation with the teacher, but a lot of the hesitancy can be addressed in an actual car.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Is he signed up for drivers ed yet? Most do observation with the teacher, but a lot of the hesitancy can be addressed in an actual car.

Not currently because of coronavirus...thought this might be something he could do in the meantime at home.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would take him to a large empty parking lot and let him try it out. He can just try to park within the lines to begin. Once he gets started he should feel more comfortable.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default driver training simulator

DS had 30 hours of online drivers Ed to get the permit. Because of Covid he couldn’t get an appointment with the driving instructor for 6 weeks. We took him to the parking lot at the community college, it was completely empty and had stop signs, lots of turns etc. by the time he had his first lesson, he had already done hours in the car in the parking lot. Once he had his first lesson, we went to the cemetery- advice from my mechanic as there’s lots of roads to drive on and very little traffic. Then it was our neighborhood and now, anywhere we’re going, he is driving. Covid has decreased traffic, though it is increasing, so it’s been a good time to learn to drive. He did 2 hours yesterday to the beach of highway and then a bit of a curvy mountain road. We’re just having him drive in all different situations with us.

Have him do what’s needed for the permit. Then find a big empty parking lot and go several times until he feels ready for the road. Then you drive to the cemetery and have him drive around the roads there - or find a subdivision that isn’t built yet. Go everyday or every few days. Consistency has really helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-03-2021 at 11:02 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree with large empty lots and new subdivisions or country roads. IL is doing in person 1:1 drivers ed now (usually there are 3 kids and one instructor).

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Been there done that 3x. Empty parking lots here we are allowed to use the drivers training course after hours and weekends. Nothing takes the place of being behind the actual wheel.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

We lucked out and DD got her permit in mid-March, just days before everything shut down. It was a perfect time to learn how to drive since no one was on the streets in late March and April. She started in the community college parking lot, then moved to business campuses that were deserted (Wells Fargo...everyone was surging from home).

Drivers Ed was 1 on 1.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not sure what state you're in but here in CA the teen isn't supposed to drive at all until they've completed both Driver's Ed online AND the behind-the-wheel Driver's Training with the instructor. The instructor actually signs their permit during the first session so it's not even valid till then. My DS1 had never even sat in the driver's seat until his first driver's training lesson. 6 hours is required here but I had him do 10. He started back in August with Covid protocols (temp checks, masks, etc).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Not sure what state you're in but here in CA the teen isn't supposed to drive at all until they've completed both Driver's Ed online AND the behind-the-wheel Driver's Training with the instructor. The instructor actually signs their permit during the first session so it's not even valid till then. My DS1 had never even sat in the driver's seat until his first driver's training lesson. 6 hours is required here but I had him do 10. He started back in August with Covid protocols (temp checks, masks, etc).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Here in CA, they can drive with you after the first one hour lesson with the instructor. Because ds had to wait 6 weeks between getting his permit and the first lesson due to Covid, we took him to the deserted parking lot until that first lesson. Covid is dragging out the lessons. They can’t schedule as many and just cancelled in car lessons for awhile. DS has 3 more to go. He’s got about 36 hours with us in the car so far

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast