JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Would Alexander Technique help with these alignment issues? Or something else?

I am interested in anything anyone can share with me to help me understand if Alexander Technique would be helpful for my situation. My body is way out of alignment, but I do not want to go to an in-person practitioner right now and online Alexander Technique has been suggested to me. My feet have always turned out (had this evaluated by many different in person practitions with no real help, but it has not really created problems for me until recently) and it is now at the point when even my knees are effected so when I try to do yoga I cannot even do a table top position. Additionally, my posture has never been good and has gotten much worse from pandemic style work and life. I did google Alexander Technique after it was suggested, and watched some videos. It seems to be that you hold your body in certain positions to correct them? I am hoping that is simplistic and way off as my body can't just be held in those positions if this makes sense. To be clear, these are all things that have been evaluated by an in person practiioner at some point, and never really felt that what they did helped much, and things have gotten worse over the past 9 months or so.

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I did private Alexander Technique in person 15 years ago - I went specifically because I had excruciating wrist pain and really terrible posture and I didn't have any options to do more than the most basic modifications (I was in law school so desk/chair positions were fixed). It helped a ton. My mom also ended up doing it specifically for tension headaches and it also pretty much solved that for her. I don't remember exactly what I did though - some exercises, and then I would lay on a massage table and she'd make some subtle adjustments. I do remember feeling like my head was floating on top of my spine and I was an inch taller when I left!