MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Diagnose this: pain at bottom of big toe

DS is complaining of pain on the pad of his big toe, where the toe joint connects to the foot. He says it hurts to walk on and when he lifts his toe up, almost feels tight like it's pulling when he moves his toe up. Apparently it's been going on for quite awhile and he didn't feel the need to tell me while we spent 3 months at the orthopedics office dealing with broke bones and a dislocated knee. I tried to research and nothing sounds quite the same, but possibly sesamoidtis. The thing that gets me if he's been resting for 2+ months because of all of his injuries that he hasn't done much physically and the pain never went away or got better according to DS. Does anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar? And do I take him to a podiatrist or an orthopedic?

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Could it be turf toe? That can take a long time to recover from.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    DS is complaining of pain on the pad of his big toe, where the toe joint connects to the foot. He says it hurts to walk on and when he lifts his toe up, almost feels tight like it's pulling when he moves his toe up. Apparently it's been going on for quite awhile and he didn't feel the need to tell me while we spent 3 months at the orthopedics office dealing with broke bones and a dislocated knee. I tried to research and nothing sounds quite the same, but possibly sesamoidtis. The thing that gets me if he's been resting for 2+ months because of all of his injuries that he hasn't done much physically and the pain never went away or got better according to DS. Does anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar? And do I take him to a podiatrist or an orthopedic?
    I'd do the orthopedic doctor He may be compensating with his walking and have something flared up. DS3 had tendonitis in his foot and was in a boot for ? 2 months then ended up breaking his big and was back in a boot.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Maybe a plantars wart? I had one on my heel in college, I could not see anything on the surface of my skin but it hurt too much to put any weight on that heel. A podiatrist removed it for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I'd do the orthopedic doctor He may be compensating with his walking and have something flared up. DS3 had tendonitis in his foot and was in a boot for ? 2 months then ended up breaking his big and was back in a boot.
    I was going to say the same thing except recommend he see a physical therapist. I had pain in the same spot as your son and she helped me do stretching and exercises to work the pain out. My foot had been in a boot for 7 weeks and I didn’t have pain until I started to walk with it again.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hallux rigidus is my first instinct. It’s arthritis of the big toe.
    https://www.foothealthfacts.org/cond...hallux-rigidus

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Maybe a plantars wart? I had one on my heel in college, I could not see anything on the surface of my skin but it hurt too much to put any weight on that heel. A podiatrist removed it for me.

This is what I thought too. Sometimes you can see a teeny dark dot.
    I've used OTC stuff and then duct tape on top of that to resolve it.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post

This is an interesting thought. He's been getting wart treatment with beetle juice on his other foot for some so it's quite possible he has one there that we can't see.

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

my mom had a Neuroma between her big toe and second toe that caused horrible pain. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20351935

my dad recently had pain in his foot and was shocked to discover he had a hairline fracture (had no idea how it happened).

or, here's a curveball: https://gretchenrubin.com/podcast-ep...ack-in-my-shoe

Just thought I'd follow up in case anyone ever searches for something similar.

DS went this morning and it's seismoiditis. Her original guess was turf toe, but once they did the X-ray they saw that one of his seismic bones has a natural line where it did not completely connect so it's like a break in it. I guess that causes inflammation and pain? DS and DH went and I got two different stories so I"m not 100% sure, but that's the best I can decode. He's in a big boot right now to try and let it rest completely since not participating in sports for 8 weeks while his arm was broke didn't help it heal.