Thread: ISO Design help

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default ISO Design help

I have a design quandary for those of you that love to decorate. Our family room has a fireplace with a wall above that has been sitting empty since we moved in several years ago. We knew we wanted a painting for the space and didn’t want to spend anything until we found something we loved. We’ve found an artist and now need to decide on the size of the piece. The wall measures 109” x 74”. We’re planning for a 4” frame on the painting. We think 76” x 36” will fill the space nicely. Any thoughts on sizing? The ceiling is slanted and goes quite a bit higher but we’ve measured the wall from the mantle to where the slant starts. TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jgenie; 02-16-2021 at 08:44 PM.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm a visual person. Can you tape off the perimeter of the size you think you want, with blue painters tape, and stand back to take a picture? Because the size isn't just dependent on filling that wall but in proportion to the fireplace, any mantel, and other surroundings.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I'm a visual person. Can you tape off the perimeter of the size you think you want, with blue painters tape, and stand back to take a picture? Because the size isn't just dependent on filling that wall but in proportion to the fireplace, any mantel, and other surroundings.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Agree to tape off the area, or get a large piece of cardboard cut to that size and tape it up there and then step back to look. I think it's super important for art to have enough space around it to "breathe" and not look squished into the wall space. Take a pic of the space with the tape/cardboard up for us so we can see! My initial gut feeling is that it will be too long unless you have a long fireplace/mantle.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How much do you use the fireplace? I would be afraid of heat damage.

We have metal art above our fireplace, since we heat the house with it.

But I agree with above. Have your kids make a cardboard art and hang it there and see how you like it.