Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default THIS is why we can't be normal.

I was working yesterday (I'm PRN so just fill in here and there) and another PRN person called the main person and casually mentioned how her family members - that she had been with for 4 hours unmasked the day before- tested positive for covid yesterday (rapid test, so she had been with them the day before their positive tests and I assume they were obviously symptomatic or why else get tested....) PRN person has been baking and stopped and dropped off some stuff for coworker. And then she is supposed to go to our workplace health in our home hospital (we are an outpatient imaging center affiliated with hospital but 30ish min away) to get her covid shot today. HELLO YOU IDIOT, if you spent four hours with someone who tested positive for covid YOU SHOULD BE HOME QUARANTINING.

I can't really get involved as I wasn't on the phone call and I don't have to work with her. (Generally if she's working I'm not and vice versa.) The health department is overwhelmed and may not catch up to her or if they do it may be day 10 or so. (When my kids were quarantined from school exposures I didn't hear from health dept until 10ish days later and I suspect that's mainly bc we have to--kids can't return to school without the letter giving their release dates,etc.) So this person is scheduled to work (with patients) Wed-Fri this week and here she is going on possibly exposing lots of people (she is kinda dumb so.....it may be ignorance.) I already told coworker that I can help fill in Thurs and Fri "if she's quarantined" but if she works Wed and possibly exposes everyone then I'm NOT then coming in Thurs/Fri and then risking being exposed/quarantined. I am tempted to point out to mutual coworker that if she works with her Wed and then PRN ends up positive in a few days, she'll end up quarantined too so she probably should tell her to call workplace health and make sure it's okay for her to work....but I'm also torn on not getting involved. This is freaking ridiculous and why I don't trust people anywhere- especially medical like this- at least until the majority is vaccinated! There are too many ignorant and willfully ignorant people being jerks out there.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is so angering. I just read a kid's sport coach send an email about indoor practice saying: "my family had a great break visiting with friends and family, even though we have made our bubble smaller recently because we are about to have a baby." How big was the "bubble" before?

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    This is so angering. I just read a kid's sport coach send an email about indoor practice saying: "my family had a great break visiting with friends and family, even though we have made our bubble smaller recently because we are about to have a baby." How big was the "bubble" before?
    Seriously!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I love how people use the word bubble wrong. Cause if I see your family, and your family works, goes to school, shops, and my family works, goes to school, shops then IT ISN'T A BUBBLE even if you are the only family we socialize with. Not.a.bubble.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

One of my friends was telling me that everyone at her son's workplace was coming down with COVID, so they were being extra careful around her son. (yeah right) They had him over for dinner, and he said that he couldn't smell that well. She blew him off as being silly, knowing that he had been exposed to numerous positive people, and allowed her daughter to have a friend sleep over. Then they all proceeded to gather around a kitchen table playing games together, unmasked. The next day, she was out with the son buying stuff for his new apartment, when she said "smell this candle!" He said, "Mom, I can't smell anything, seriously." He had to demand that she take him to get a test. Of course he was positive. She was so shocked that it happened. I was so shocked that it took so long. She was pissed that she ended up having to quarantine for 14 days, and said that she would have gone to work (she's a teacher, although she is not working directly with kids right now, but it working at the school) because she couldn't afford to loose the income, but they had to report because her daughter is on the high school swim team which is at the same school.

It's absolutely mind blowing. So many people are mad about school reopening, worried about getting COVID from students, etc, but so many think they rules apply to everyone else and not them.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    She was pissed that she ended up having to quarantine for 14 days, and said that she would have gone to work (she's a teacher, although she is not working directly with kids right now, but it working at the school) because she couldn't afford to loose the income, but they had to report because her daughter is on the high school swim team which is at the same school.

It's absolutely mind blowing. So many people are mad about school reopening, worried about getting COVID from students, etc, but so many think they rules apply to everyone else and not them.
    So selfish. The bolded part irks me the most. It’s very simple and people have had 9 months to figure this out. Choices have consequences. If you refuse to listen to your son who says his workplace has covid19 AND he can’t smell, then he might be positive. If you then ignore that and not quarantine him, then you might catch it from him. Now you have to quarantine and if you don’t have sick time or paid vacation built up, then you might lose income. And no, it’s not the company’s fault. It’s yours. The friend who stayed overnight probably has it now too. Although, her parents were stupid for letting her stay overnight. Choices have consequences.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

ARGH!! I hope she follows the quarantine procedures properly. We have people from work (NorCal) who are coming down for a one day site visit next week (LA COUNTY). What about the 10-day quarantine now required for anyone entering LA county from outside? I guess they think they are the exception bc it's work related?

I truly believe there are only a few number of people who properly follow the quarantine requirements and it's so so so frustrating. People posting that they are quarantining and then post pictures of them AT THE BEACH? I get it, that it's outdoors - but that's NOT staying home. My friend's family had it - I offered to have groceries delivered (bc she always goes to the store)...but she declined. I HOPE it's bc she ordered groceries herself, but i HIGHLY DOUBT IT. The lack of guidance and enforcement is also to blame. But I feel the self-interest of many Americans is the primary culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    So selfish. The bolded part irks me the most. It’s very simple and people have had 9 months to figure this out. Choices have consequences. If you refuse to listen to your son who says his workplace has covid19 AND he can’t smell, then he might be positive. If you then ignore that and not quarantine him, then you might catch it from him. Now you have to quarantine and if you don’t have sick time or paid vacation built up, then you might lose income. And no, it’s not the company’s fault. It’s yours. The friend who stayed overnight probably has it now too. Although, her parents were stupid for letting her stay overnight. Choices have consequences.
    Yep.

So the PRN coworker did go in to the hospital and got her covid shot (today). At workplace health and obviously not telling them or possibly lying. (I got my shot through my other employer but they asked if I had any covid symptoms or exposures within the last x days.) And she's probably dumb enough to think getting her covid shot today is enough to prevent her from getting covid from her exposure Sunday. And I'm sure she didn't tell them she was exposed. (She's just a mamm tech and only PRN at that so it's not like her position is essential to keep the doors open- they could cover it.) I'm a little annoyed with coworker who knows (the one she called/told) for not telling her flat out she needs to get the okay to work. We happened to get an email and it happened to actually have a faq about being exposed to covid between doses of the shot and it said you should still follow cdc guidelines on quarantining so I sent her that and told her..."So if PRN ends up with covid a few days from now, *YOU* will probably end up quarantined if you work with her Wed+" (We share a small office a foot or two apart and generally don't wear masks in there b/c we eat,etc. in the office.) They better not try to call me to help fill in if this all goes bad because nope.

I saw on Twitter awhile ago someone tweeted something like "The phrase 'avoid like the plague' needs to become obsolete because it turns out people don't do that".
    Last edited by AngB; 01-05-2021 at 04:57 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    ARGH!! I hope she follows the quarantine procedures properly. We have people from work (NorCal) who are coming down for a one day site visit next week (LA COUNTY). What about the 10-day quarantine now required for anyone entering LA county from outside? I guess they think they are the exception bc it's work related?

I truly believe there are only a few number of people who properly follow the quarantine requirements and it's so so so frustrating. People posting that they are quarantining and then post pictures of them AT THE BEACH? I get it, that it's outdoors - but that's NOT staying home. My friend's family had it - I offered to have groceries delivered (bc she always goes to the store)...but she declined. I HOPE it's bc she ordered groceries herself, but i HIGHLY DOUBT IT. The lack of guidance and enforcement is also to blame. But I feel the self-interest of many Americans is the primary culprit.
    My cousin (who lives here in Southern California) was diagnosed with COVID and on the way home from the visit, stopped by the grocery store first--so they'd have supplies for their quarantine!!!

On the one hand, this is so crazy. On the other, she has a very small support network and NO money. I can afford grocery delivery but she can't and probably thought she was doing the right thing. It definitely makes me think twice about going to the grocery store!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Right? She did end up not going to work, but I chided her for her intent of going. What about the custodians who clean her office? She can teach from home, but the custodians can't clean from home. She has options; they don't. So selfish.

In other news, my dad's good friend who he hangs out with all the time has tested positive. My dad waited until after he got a negative test (and after he went out with friends for a drink to celebrate his negative test) to tell me. Come to find out, he got an antigen test, not a PCR test, which has an abysmal sensitivity rate for asymptomatic patients. I raised my voice with him for not checking with me first about the best test to get, and for going out for drinks. Then today he went to the gym. He is an immunocompromised cancer patient. I suspect that he is tempting fate on purpose, but selfishly doing so putting others at risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast