Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Which doggie DNA company? UPDATE!

UPDATE in post 11!
    We would like to do a DNA test on Margot to see what breed(s) she is and to see if there are any health conditions that we need to be aware of. It seems that the two leaders of the DNA tests are Embark and Wisdom. Embark seems to be recommended by almost everyone, while Wisdom comes in second. However, our vet recommended Wisdom. Anyone wish to share their experiences?
    Last edited by zukeypur; 02-08-2021 at 12:03 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’m not a dog person but was in the car when this Science Friday episode about dog DNA tests was on. Might be a useful listen https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/dog-dna-tests/

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think we did Wisdom but I really don’t think it matters. We first did test about 7 years ago and were surprised by outcome. DH tried to “trick” the system and did the test again a couple years later but of course they knew it was the same DNA. He sent a different name and email but we got a letter with the results saying we have tested this DNA before and here is why you may have different results (basically they now have more samples in database). The 2nd test seemed more accurate.

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We did a test with Wisdom and I honestly think the sample got switched or something. The results didn't sound anything like my dog at all. It was bizarre.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Embark all the way. I know enough about molecular genetics to dig into them a bit. They are more expensive but they do run specials (unfortunately the best prices I saw were over the holidays). I know people who used Wisdom who were less than thrilled with how the company handled results.

If you have questions about your Embark results (your dog will not necessarily LOOK like its breed mix - it is way more complex than that), you can contact them and one of their staff scientists will explain it to you. If after reviewing your results they feel like there's a chance they got your samples mixed up, I've read reviews where people say they have re-run it (accidents can happen even with the barcode tracking system they use).

As a scientist, have done Embark on 3 dogs now, VERY happy each time. And not just because the results "looked" right (sometimes they did, sometimes they were a surprise!) but loved the level of detail on health and traits that they provide. We also found the sibling of one of our rescue dogs - we had a hunch they were siblings when they were first rescued but did not know for sure until the genetic results totally backed it up - these are 2 dogs that looked NOTHING alike other than their overall size, their estimated age, their similar temperaments, and the fact that they were rescued together as strays. They shared nearly 50% of their DNA and both died last year at the same age within a month of each other.

My only complaint about Embark is that they try very hard to use layperson's explanations for everything, to the point of (my opinion) over-simplifying some things. But...that's coming from my inner nerd and really doesn't matter for most people.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-07-2021 at 04:26 PM.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I did Wisdom with our rescue dog a few years back and was satisfied.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Embark all the way. I know enough about molecular genetics to dig into them a bit. They are more expensive but they do run specials (unfortunately the best prices I saw were over the holidays). I know people who used Wisdom who were less than thrilled with how the company handled results.

If you have questions about your Embark results (your dog will not necessarily LOOK like its breed mix - it is way more complex than that), you can contact them and one of their staff scientists will explain it to you. If after reviewing your results they feel like there's a chance they got your samples mixed up, I've read reviews where people say they have re-run it (accidents can happen even with the barcode tracking system they use).

As a scientist, have done Embark on 3 dogs now, VERY happy each time. And not just because the results "looked" right (sometimes they did, sometimes they were a surprise!) but loved the level of detail on health and traits that they provide. We also found the sibling of one of our rescue dogs - we had a hunch they were siblings when they were first rescued but did not know for sure until the genetic results totally backed it up - these are 2 dogs that looked NOTHING alike other than their overall size, their estimated age, their similar temperaments, and the fact that they were rescued together as strays. They shared nearly 50% of their DNA and both died last year at the same age within a month of each other.

My only complaint about Embark is that they try very hard to use layperson's explanations for everything, to the point of (my opinion) over-simplifying some things. But...that's coming from my inner nerd and really doesn't matter for most people.
    Very happy with Embark! Not a scientist, but I agree that the explanations were very watered down. The results "fit" our expectations. Every vet guess Lab/border collie. We were were surprised to learn that she had a significant percentage of GSD. It actually explained her nose/snout and gait. What further surprised us was how little Border Collie she was, yet how 13% Border Collie really dominated her personality, size, white fur and athleticism.

Thank you all for the feedback. I was leaning towards Embark, as I actually AM a scientist with a masters in molecular pathology. The fact that they have a much larger database means that they will have better analysis of results. I took a look at their microarray and it looks pretty extensive.

I did Ancestry for myself and was less than impressed with the results. While they did identify close relatives, they are very bad at identifying traits. What I'm looking for is something closer to the "23 and me" of the dog world, not "ancestry".

I'll listen to the science friday podcast first, but I'm probably going with Embark. Thank you!

ETA: It looks like Target is the cheapest place to get it right now with the red card discount...has anyone seen it cheaper?
    Last edited by zukeypur; 01-07-2021 at 07:31 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback. I was leaning towards Embark, as I actually AM a scientist with a masters in molecular pathology. The fact that they have a much larger database means that they will have better analysis of results. I took a look at their microarray and it looks pretty extensive.

I did Ancestry for myself and was less than impressed with the results. While they did identify close relatives, they are very bad at identifying traits. What I'm looking for is something closer to the "23 and me" of the dog world, not "ancestry".

I'll listen to the science friday podcast first, but I'm probably going with Embark. Thank you!

ETA: It looks like Target is the cheapest place to get it right now with the red card discount...has anyone seen it cheaper?
    Yes, the microarray is extensive, they look at a ton of markers, and you can even download the raw data if you are so inclined. I used to do microarrays! LOL!

The cheapest I've ever seen for breed + health is $135 like 1-2 weeks before Christmas. And if you have multiple dogs, you'll get an offer for something like $10 off another kit (have any friends who also want to do Embark?). I have always ordered directly from Embark - no tax, no shipping, and I feel like if something goes wrong it'd be easier to deal with.

Amazon has them as well but they run the same specials as Embark. I'd sign up for their newsletter and keep an eye out!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Yes, the microarray is extensive, they look at a ton of markers, and you can even download the raw data if you are so inclined. I used to do microarrays! LOL!

The cheapest I've ever seen for breed + health is $135 like 1-2 weeks before Christmas. And if you have multiple dogs, you'll get an offer for something like $10 off another kit (have any friends who also want to do Embark?). I have always ordered directly from Embark - no tax, no shipping, and I feel like if something goes wrong it'd be easier to deal with.

Amazon has them as well but they run the same specials as Embark. I'd sign up for their newsletter and keep an eye out!
    Fun! I could add it to my microarray lab!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast