Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

UPDATE!

I'm so glad we did this; it's not at all what we expected! We had no idea what Margot was. She was listed as a terrier mix, but she looks remarkably like a basenji and really doesn't bark. She is capable of barking, is larger than a basenji, and has a straight tail, so we knew she wasn't a pure basenji, but we had ourselves convinced that she was at least a basenji mix. I have also had multiple people ask me if she is a huge basenji while we were out on walks, so it's not just in our heads, lol.

The great reveal......26% Australian Cattle Dog, 24% Blue Lacy, 13% Lab, 10.7% Pit Bull, 6% Bull Terrier, 5% Boxer, and 15% Supermutt. Apparently one parent was Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Lacy, and the other was a mix of all of the others. The funny thing is that the Australian Cattle Dog was on the quiet dog list, and they are readily available here in Texas, but we decided against hunting one down because of the shedding. Funny how things work out. We now have a short haired Australian Cattle Dog who is indeed quiet (yay!), but sheds like crazy. This breed information could explain some of her behaviors. I had actually thought that maybe she had some sort of herding breed in her, and that she was herding the iggies and not so much stalking them. I still think she is stalking Olive a little, but she is definitely herding Tucker.

ETA: She did not have any major health conditions, but she is likely to have a decreased liver enzyme. This isn't serious, but if she ever really does have liver issues, her "elevated" liver enzyme could appear as normal. Nothing huge, but good to know if we ever suspect liver issues.

One of the funniest things about this is seeing her "relatives" that have popped up on Embark. Her "first cousin" lives in Austin and is a pit bull named Larry David. The rest of the relatives that have come up are all bull terriers, which is really surprising. I'm hoping that one of her litter mates eventually does the testing. It would be really fun to see what the rest of them look like, and to see if they exhibit the same behaviors.
    Last edited by zukeypur; 02-08-2021 at 12:05 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How fun!!!! Have you gone through the description of her traits and what she inherited in terms of coat color, markings, etc? That is SUPER interesting to read through. We're in TX too and EVERY DOG I know who has done Embark has some Australian cattle dog, which makes sense given their popularity in Texas. Same with the pit bull/American Staffordshire terrier.

Blue Lacy is fascinating!!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    How fun!!!! Have you gone through the description of her traits and what she inherited in terms of coat color, markings, etc? That is SUPER interesting to read through. We're in TX too and EVERY DOG I know who has done Embark has some Australian cattle dog, which makes sense given their popularity in Texas. Same with the pit bull/American Staffordshire terrier.

This is interesting -- I didn't know TX was "known" for being a popular place for Australian Cattle Dogs....but one of my dogs was adopted in TX, and her dominant breed (among 6) is Australian Cattle Dog.
    Lizi

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Pit bull named Larry David. Love it!

We did Wisdom panel with our rescue but now you make me want to do Embark.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post

They were spot-on with the traits, including her black masking, mostly white coat, seasonal shedding, short hair, long snout, dark eyes, etc. Much better than ancestry!

Another funny thing....an Australian cattle dog named Sabrina left her family and came to live with my parents many years ago. She was my step dad's doggie soul mate. She died this past summer and they immediately drove to missouri to get another one. Take a guess what Margot's name was before we adopted her.....Sabrina!

Blue Lacy is apparently the official state dog of Texas, although I don't ever remember seeing one in my years of working at my dad's clinic or at the clinic in college. They kind of look like a cross between a lab and a Weimaraner, and they can have colors other than blue. I guess that's where her shorter coat comes from.

I have a referral link for $40 off if anyone wants one. Full disclosure, I also get $20 to amazon, but it's cheaper than the $30 off I was able to find when I ordered.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would love a link. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would also love a referral link! Thank you for posting this! We’ve been sooo curious about our crazy little terrier mix’s generic make up!

Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I would love a link. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    I would also love a referral link! Thank you for posting this! We’ve been sooo curious about our crazy little terrier mix’s generic make up!

Sent you both a link. Let me know if you have any problems, and please update us with your results!

I would love one also. We’ve been dying to find out what Cisco is!

Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast