Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default 6 Drawer Dresser Alternative to Malm or Hemnes?

I swear I've been trying to go to IKEA for a YEAR. Should have tried harder in January and February of last year, lol! I want the boys clothes off the floor in their room. I've got cash to buy a dresser.

I WANT the Malm. It is $179. Last I calculated it was $99 for shipping. I'm thinking I should have paid it! Currently I can't even select shipping on the IKEA website so I'm not sure what that's all about. Maybe it is completely gone from the site?

I like the Songestad or the Kullen but I get the same error! I CAN get the Hemnes with Click and Connect. BUT it is both $70 more expensive and I don't like it as much. (I don't like the feet--I think my kids will put stuff under it?)

I would LOVE to find a simple, well made 6 drawer dresser at a reasonable price. Anyone got a great source?

I should mention that I've been trying to look at used but much of what is out there is very ornamented.

Thanks!

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

When I ordered my desk back in May I had to fudge on my shipping zip code (I chose an Orange County zip code for our bordering Orange County city 3 miles from my house) and then included my real zip code in the delivery zip code as it was the only way I could get them to deliver it. We tried to do a pick up order at two Ikeas (Costa Mesa, and West Covina) over the summer and we didn’t even get that option, but what was frustrating was that when we were in the store shopping at Costa Mesa there were staff members collecting items for pick up for other orders. I honestly think it was because we lived in LA County and LA County was super locked down so those options weren’t even available for us because we lived in LA County. It was pretty wonky that it didn’t work.

TBH I would probably just bite the bullet and drive to pick it up. Get there an hour before opening to wait in line to get in because (at least back in September when we last went) they did limit the amount of people who could go in the store. I would probably also buy two dressers just in case you decide you need another one. You have 365 days to return something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-09-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You've looked at Wayfair, Overstock, etc? I'd get one of those for the time being if you don't want to go in IKEA and can't get delivery to work.https://www.wayfair.com/filters/furn...~100~250.html?
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 01-09-2021 at 09:06 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think the Hemnes is worth the price difference over the Malm. I think the construction is better. Buy some bins and be intentional with what they store under it. That’s where ds1’s Pokémon cards used to live!
    Otherwise, I never found any other good dressers in that price range. Costco has good stuff in the store (you get “free shipping” online but the same stuff is like $100 less in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have Hemnes China cabinet that we bought in 2007 (iirc) and everyone is always surprised we bought it at IKEA. The thing is very well made.

Dd1 chose the tall 5 drawer Malm dresser (we bought it in September) and she has been really happy with it. She was able to put it together with little help from DH and it does what she needs it do. She looked at the Hemnes as well, but decided on the Malm. She debated between the longer short version and the tall version but we are glad she went with the tall version. She also looked at a few others (don’t recall the names) but they weren’t in stock then.

Also in regards to Wayfair I found their desks we bought this summer a PITA to put together; one of them was soo hard that I ended up calling and requesting a refund on the desk (which they granted and I recycled the thing). I am very wary now of buying furniture that needs to be assembled from Wayfair. Some of the directions made IKEA’s directions look easy.

I just checked and this new dresser with no feet is in stock and when I selected my current address it was available to ship, plus it is in stock at Burbank:
    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/hauga-6...gray-20459238/

I also looked at the Malm and it says it is out of stock; that may or may not be true, but the one I just linked might be an okay replacement if you hand the space. Again I would probably just drive there to get it if you can (like I said Ikea did great at social distancing and making people wait in line for capacity rules).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-09-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

To do Click and Connect the inventory has to be over 10 and the store has to not have shut it down if they have too many orders. I have bought two dressers, two beds, and lots of other things over the last few weeks. It took me five trips between two Ikea stores. I did best watching the inventory and then if there is no inventory many times they have an expected delivery date. Inventory is updated at 7am ET. The day it was in stock I was there the earliest I could or I did Click and Connect. Some items (like the Alex drawers) staff members tell me it is going to be a while as anything in-home school related is tough to get.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you're set on the MALM, try having it in your cart ready to go and then selecting Click and Collect right after midnight. That's when the openings for C&C turn over. I've been able to get hard-to-get stuff this way (like the LOBERGET chair!)

The HEMNES is nice though, and even though there are legs, you could get a couple of storage bins to slide underneath to use that space. I just bought and assembled 2 of the HEMNES chests to stick in our closet since we're more folded-in-drawers people than hanging-on-hangers people.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have the malm in DS’s room and I love it. It’s so sturdy and the lack of hardware makes it so smooth and seamless.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you searched for IKEA dressers on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace? They come up frequently around here.

We have purchased the MALM desk and 6 drawer dresser in the past month for DD, and I am very impressed with how sturdy they are. We also bought the brimnes bookcase bed with storage drawers under the bed. DD is LOVING all of the storage, and I'm loving her clean room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast