Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen knives

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Kitchen knives

Thinking of getting DH a nice set of knives for Valentine’s Day and birthday gift (same week). We have a set of Henckels from Target that we got for our wedding in 2004. They’ve been good and DH sharpens them but at 16yrs old I feel like they don’t owe us anything and it’s time for an upgrade. Our current set is similar to this only with steak knives included. https://www.target.com/p/henckels-fo...t/-/A-54264137

So what kind of knives should I look at? I could keep the steak knives from our current set and focus on good prep knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My Henkles Pro S bought from Williams Sonoma in 2000 is still going strong.
    My brother loves to cook and bought me a Global brand knife a few years ago. Came highly recommended from America’s Test Kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Kitchen knives

I invested in Cutco knives last year and I love them. Prices are similar to Zwilling JA Henckels Four Star and or Professional lines. Start small with your first purchase because once you have bought one you qualify as an owner and then you get owner discounts. They run %off specials through the year, buy $x amount and get a free knife, or buy two get one free specials. I bought this way vs. buying the whole block set. I couldn’t find what I wanted in the block set. All of the sales videos say that the block set is the best way to save money, but I found buying around specials was the best way and you don’t end up with knives you don’t need. I also bought the actual knife block off eBay for 50% off.

I have the petite chef (which honestly isn’t that small), the cheese knife (gets used for everything .....especially great for onions and potatoes as well), the petite carver, two trimmers (one of those were free with purchase on Black Friday), scissors, spatula, and table knives.

Prior to these knives we had a Farberware set of serrated knives DH bought at Wal Mart in 2001, and a few other random Zwilling JA Henckels Twin Signature knives, a carving knife, a santuku, and a few smaller paring knives, which I still use. If you do buy Henckels make sure you get the Zwilling JA Henckels knives (the ones with the two men vs. the cheaper Henckels ones that are sold only have one man on them.....I did get my parents a Henckels knife block with only one man on it and it has lasted quite fine and fit their Henckels Four Star knives just fine). If you can try them in person that is good too....I prefer the slightly lighter feel and handle shape of the Cutco knives and the Twin Signature knives to the heavier feel of the Henckels Four Star knives. The Four Star knives are great as well and my parents set is 25+ years old and still in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-10-2021 at 06:18 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Knives vary a lot. And a lot of it is how it feels in the user's hand. If you want to make it a surprise, make sure they are returnable. What works for my DH (6'1") and myself (5'4") is very different. He won't use my Wusthof classic (heavy German knives) and I won't use his Global (Japanese and lighter than mine, by a lot).

We love wusthoff classic knifes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I switch between Wustoff Classic and Global. I bought a few Cutco from a friend's kid, but I really don't like the grips or the balance.

We have Wusthof. They are 13 years old. DH bought them for me.

DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our Wusthoff (the entirely stainless ones, can't recall the style) from 20 years ago (wedding) are still going strong with sharpening, but my very favorite knife to chop with is a Global brand Santuko knife (also about 20 years old - I bought it after I took a knife skills class at a local cooking school, which to date was the smartest investment I've ever made in my cooking know-how). It just feels amazing in my hand. I also have a set of Henkl's at our house in Portugal and those are also good, I just don't enjoy the hand feel quite as much as my Global or my Wusthoffs.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like Henkels and Wüsthoff myself; I forget which brand's santoku I have, but I like that it is full tang and the balance suits my hand.

I am looking to replace an 18-year-old Cuisinart 11" chef's knife, but haven't decided what feels best ... and I really need to hold knives to test that. Since we're not going anywhere any time soon, I won't be test-driving knives soon either.

Honestly, I have spent a lot of time ogling open-stock knives at Williams-Sonoma and the like over the past 20 years!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I’d recommend either Wusthof Classic (German) or Shun (Japanese) knives. I prefer Wusthof since that’s what I learned to cook with, but my husband has also bought a set of Shun knives that I’ve used occasionally. Both are excellent. If you’re considering Wusthof, be sure you get the Classic line and not the cheaper Gourmet line. Look for full tang steel for better balance. You also want a forged steel knife vs. a stamped knife. Lastly, invest in a steel to regularly hone your knives.

Mommy to DS 2007

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast