robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Tell me about your induction range.....

Advice, please!

I have to pick an induction range in short order - this week! - we can do a slide in or a freestanding one (no drop-ins), standard 30". I want true convection as well. Not sure about 2 ovens or not - it might be nice, but I worry about hauling stuff out of a low oven, which is usually part of having 2 in a range. I prefer knobs generally, as electronics in hot or wet appliances seem to die young. I would actually prefer a "dumb" appliance, but that is getting hard to find in more expensive items like induction ranges. And I probably want a regular stainless finish - not black or some other faddish color. And I know that I may have to give up on one or more of these wants to get other features and a stove that I can actually purchase nowadays - it's a balancing act, esp with supply lines the way they are.

We bake a fair amount, especially now, and roast veggies and potatoes. We don't eat a lot of meat, we do eat fish and small holiday turkeys are about it for us for meat. I drink an enormous amount of tea, and use a kettle on my stove for water frequently. We use our stovetop heavily for cooking, esp now.

Do you have an induction range you love? Has it been reliable? Please, do tell!

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes! Mine ticks all the boxes but it has electronic controls. It’s the GE profile slide in induction range with convection. We don’t have the warming drawer but it’s like this https://www.geappliances.com/applian...wer-PHS920SFSS

It heats up so fast, cleans beautifully and is a gem. Can’t imagine not having it during quarantine since we cook nonstop.

Up above is my favorite appliance though. The GE profile advantium over the range 240v microwave oven is a complete rockstar. It’s a second convection oven, obv a microwave, and also a speedcooker with halogen. It serves the same purpose as an air fryer, so no need for that on the counter. https://www.geappliances.com/applian...ven-PSA2201RSS

You didn’t ask, but I Highly recommend the insinkerstor instant hot water dispenser at the sink. It’s useful fir tea, cleaning, and so much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! I will see if they have a countertop version of the microwave - it will be a regular range hood as that is the cabinet layout.

I have other friends who swear by their instant hot water as well. For me, tea is a self-care thing, and "putting the kettle on" is a big part of the comfort routine for me. My sister tried to convert me to an electric kettle years ago and failed (mostly because every electric kettle available at that point had plastic of some amount in it, often touching the water). I really look forward to an induction stove for heating tea water, though - we have a coil top now and I expect induction will be so much faster.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    Thank you! I will see if they have a countertop version of the microwave - it will be a regular range hood as that is the cabinet layout.

I have other friends who swear by their instant hot water as well. For me, tea is a self-care thing, and "putting the kettle on" is a big part of the comfort routine for me. My sister tried to convert me to an electric kettle years ago and failed (mostly because every electric kettle available at that point had plastic of some amount in it, often touching the water). I really look forward to an induction stove for heating tea water, though - we have a coil top now and I expect induction will be so much faster.
    Remember that you will need a teapot that works with induction. When we switched to an induction cooktop (which I absolutely LOVE), I realized my stainless steel kettle didn't work on it. It's not magnetic. So I now use an electric tea kettle (which I also love. It's an older version of this Hamilton Beach. The inside is all stainless steel. The only plastic touching the water is the edge of the metal filter in the spout: https://smile.amazon.com/Hamilton-Be...0389082&sr=8-1)

Hope you love your induction appliance as much as we do.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

When our current range needs to be replaced, I’m going with induction 2 ovens. I have 2 ovens now but electric range. I can’t go back to only one. I can broil something in top oven while baking in bottom oven or vice verse. I only have to get heavy pan out of bottom a couple times a year - think 20 lbs turkey. Everything else hasn’t been a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

No countertop version of the microwave unfortunately....only a wall oven the width of a regular oven or the over the range version. Yeah/ forgot about the cookware. We have all clad and cast iron but mixture/non pure Ss stuff doesn’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    When our current range needs to be replaced, I’m going with induction 2 ovens. I have 2 ovens now but electric range. I can’t go back to only one. I can broil something in top oven while baking in bottom oven or vice verse. I only have to get heavy pan out of bottom a couple times a year - think 20 lbs turkey. Everything else hasn’t been a problem

I am looking at this, too. The GE Cafe with two ovens looks nice, but I am not sure about reliability for the stovetop part - and for that price, only a one year warranty?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post

Having that advantium I described above makes it so I have 2 ovens and they’re both very functional for daily use.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Having that advantium I described above makes it so I have 2 ovens and they’re both very functional for daily use.

I hate an over the range microwave hood. Can you get it as a countertop model? I have the microwave in the pantry as I don’t want it on the counter either

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a GE induction range that I like very much but it's over 9 years old (there were exactly 2 ranges on the market when I was buying). Two friends of mine have gotten them recently - one GE Cafe slide in, one Frigidaire freestanding. They both seem very happy but both were going from coil.

I actually use this pot as my tea kettle and so much more - it has cup markings on the inside. https://kuhnrikonshop.com/products/4...ner-pot-12-cup A cup of water will boil in less then a couple minutes on induction.