Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PSAT Dilemma!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default PSAT Dilemma!

I signed up a few months back for the PSAT for DS1. He's a junior so this is the PSAT that "counts". They are still offering it, in person! He has accommodations that allow him to take it in his own room (I think?) because he's allowed to stop time and treat his blood sugar if he has a low (type 1 diabetes). He didn't have to use his accommodation last time but I mention this only because it seems like it would be a somewhat safer situation than what is otherwise offered. I actually can't believe they're still doing the test in person! Apparently the college board is not offering a remote version this year. It is this in person test or nothing.

We can still get a refund. And I'm strongly considering. The numbers are CRAZY around me. On top of that, DS1 recently confided that he's super anxious about school in general. I realized that he was nervous about COVID and also had discovered that not being around people (generally) since March has made him more nervous to be out and about in general. What I did not realize is that he's also petrified of gun violence which I honestly did not realize at all. Basically, he's a raging ball of anxiety right now and, though tests are not generally a big trigger for him, I don't see how it could help? (He's recently started treatment for anxiety, both medication and counseling).

I'm inclined to cancel and pull out. Would you keep going?

Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Last edited by bisous; 01-12-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Default PSAT Dilemma!

I’d consider his practice scores. If he’s not seriously in national merit range, I would pass. There is a still a way to take the SAT this spring and qualify for national merit consideration too. At least being in his own proctored room would be fairly safe. But not sure if it is worth it when you are in the epicenter for insanely high Covid levels and he has an underlying condition. I’d skip it based on the status in Southern California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I’d consider his practice scores. If he’s not seriously in national merit range, I would pass. There is a still a way to take the SAT this spring and qualify for national merit consideration too. At least being in his own proctored room would be fairly safe. But not sure if it is worth it when you are in the epicenter for insanely high Covid levels and he has an underlying condition. I’d skip it based on the status in Southern California.

Yes to this. I would explain it to him though so he is fully informed. So many schools are going test optional now also.
    K

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Things are different in different areas of the country. Its no question they are all in person here. I'll have to ask when DS3 is taking his He took the SAT a few months ago ( in person) but wants to retake for a better score. I think he mentioned taking the ACT sometime this spring also
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They were held in person here even though school isn’t in person. I would leave the decision to him. He’s old enough now and it impacts his future so give him your thoughts and let him figure out what makes the most sense at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Has he taken it before? If he’s not a candidate for National Merit, I would allow him to skip if he prefers. He won’t do well if he’s so anxious about it. My son took it this fall, but everyone takes it at his school at the same time and we have been in person all year so it was with the same Covid restrictions that have made in person school so successful anyway. My kid is not National Merit level. It’s just practice and gave us an idea of how to help him improve his real score.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 01-12-2021 at 04:55 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post

I agree with this too. I’ve been stunned by how many of the colleges we are considering are not factoring in ACT and SAT scores. And I went through a lot of trouble to get accommodations Friday Ds’s dyslexia and dysgraphia. If I were you, I’d skip the PSAT.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Agree with canceling/skipping it for all of the reasons others stated, unless your ds feels strongly that he wants to take it; even then it would be a discussion in my house as it is a risk to both the test-taker and the family.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I agree with PP's that if he's not in contention for National Merit, I'd skip it. That's the only real purpose for taking the PSAT. It's also a practice for the SAT but I think many schools will stay test optional going forward.

DS1 has accommodations and took the SAT back in beginning of October. He had his own room with a proctor. The kids without accommodations took them in the gym or cafeteria. Our numbers were still lowish back then so I was okay with him taking it. I didn't know he was going to get his own room; but I did figure he would be in a smaller group because of the accommodations.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I realized that he was nervous about COVID and also had discovered that not being around people (generally) since March has made him more nervous to be out and about in general.
    Not to derail, but this describes my DD and her closest friend. They have always been introverts and with both our families on the extreme side of sheltering at home (no shopping, socializing, etc), their anxiety about being in any public place has severely escalated. They were both always emotionally and physically drained from being at school, so we've been taking the respite as a blessing. Even those that opted in to in person school were only allowed in the building for less than 6 days in the fall.

We had an outside /masked/short visit (come on, the temps are in the teens, I cannot) and we parents were comparing notes. Both girls recently had (separate) medical appointments they had to go around Christmas. Both girls had panic attacks at the thought of being around other people. I cannot imagine either of them taking a test in person and doing well. They are both very driven, academically and I don't know what they would choose.

When we got together, both girls were nervous even to see each other. They are on video calls with each other all the time, but being in person was hard for them to get over. Parents had stuff to discuss, so girls were forced to deal for a little while and soon enough were laughing and having a grand old time. Other mom and I agreed to significantly increase their exposure at least to each other to start working on improving that social anxiety. Our daughters are become recluses. We're going to make up things like needing to drop of X at their house and make DDs go with us and mom-plot pre-plan "impromptu" yard chats... making our coat averse teens go with us and bring appropriate attire "in case" they are home and we can say hi for a minute.

Regarding the PSAT, I'd leave it up to your kiddo and give him the pros/cons if you think they'd help in the decision process. If I just asked DD what she wanted, she'd have anxiety over deciding as well, so I'd have to weigh in before asking the question.

Yes, she's in counseling. Virtually.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast