Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PSAT Dilemma!

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Another upside of taking the PSAT is that once scores are posted in a student's College Board account, you can click through to Khan Academy to practice for the SAT. Khan customizes the content based on the strengths/weaknesses of each student's PSAT scores. This is the main prep my DS did before taking the SAT last October, and he did well.
    Wow, this is amazing! Is that a part of Khan Academy's free services or is there a cost?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Wow, this is amazing! Is that a part of Khan Academy's free services or is there a cost?
    Free

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks guys! We've already taken the PSAT twice so he can use Khan. Still haven't talked to DS. He has had finals all day today. He'll be done in an hour or so and we'll have a chat!

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks guys! We've already taken the PSAT twice so he can use Khan. Still haven't talked to DS. He has had finals all day today. He'll be done in an hour or so and we'll have a chat!
    You should have a reasonable idea if he's within striking distance of National Merit then. If he took it in 10th and got 1100, he's probably not going to go up enough, but if he got 1400, there's a much bigger chance, especially if he's been studying for it.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    You should have a reasonable idea if he's within striking distance of National Merit then. If he took it in 10th and got 1100, he's probably not going to go up enough, but if he got 1400, there's a much bigger chance, especially if he's been studying for it.
    He’s 13xx something (I’m waiting in the car and don’t remember). And he’s a basket case right now. I don’t see him improving his score that much honestly. Maybe I’ll call his counselor?

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

He’s 13xx something (I’m waiting in the car and don’t remember). And he’s a basket case right now. I don’t see him improving his score that much honestly. Maybe I’ll call his counselor?
    Then I would skip it, honestly. It's not worth the stress right now (I'm also going by what you've told us about his overall anxiety right now..). In CA I think it has to be fairly close to perfect (out of 1520) to qualify, and if he is already anxious I wouldn't push it. Could he do one more practice test at home to gauge for sure, so you don't regret it later?
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Hmm. I think that's a harder one to compare. If he's willing, take one at home. Even if it's a section at a time over a couple days and not the full amount of time all at once. It would tell you more. Or do the SAT and alternate entry instead.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Then I would skip it, honestly. It's not worth the stress right now (I'm also going by what you've told us about his overall anxiety right now..). In CA I think it has to be fairly close to perfect (out of 1520) to qualify, and if he is already anxious I wouldn't push it. Could he do one more practice test at home to gauge for sure, so you don't regret it later?
    Maybe? But that would have to be a pretty big leap...He has the next 5 days off school so maybe we could try a practice exam. I’ll see what his counselor thinks!

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve had a lot of experience with teens and anxiety. It sounds like he needs to decompress following finals and cramming for the PSAT won’t help lower his overall anxiety, but will postpone his ability to manage/cope with all of the anxiety he is already feeling. Anxiety snowballs and builds and builds until it is overwhelming. If he is a basket case now, just pass.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I’ve had a lot of experience with teens and anxiety. It sounds like he needs to decompress following finals and cramming for the PSAT won’t help lower his overall anxiety, but will postpone his ability to manage/cope with all of the anxiety he is already feeling. Anxiety snowballs and builds and builds until it is overwhelming. If he is a basket case now, just pass.
    This is my inclination. Honestly, I have a couple of big yard work projects that we need to get done. He LOVES to work outside in the yard and I think I can convince DH to offer to have him accomplish some of the bigger projects. I think it will do him a world of good to be outside, doing physical work, as opposed to his normal day inside and plugging away at his laptop!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast