Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    All of the vaccine providers here are trying to be very proactive in saying "YOU MUST CONTINUE TO MASK". But, there are enough selfish people who only care about themselves and feel that once they get the vaccine, they are less likely to get seriously ill, and ditch the mask and resume all the things they wanted to do before, potentially with even more gusto. Eat out! Travel! Go to parties! Gather! I think there are a TON of these selfish people. Yes, I have lost faith in humanity.
    I don't have a background in health care or science. Far from it. But I don't think wanting to do these things makes people selfish.

I understand that once you receive the vaccine -- especially in the early going -- you need to keep masking and social distancing. But surely there will come a point later this year when nearly everyone in your circle has gotten vaccinated, it will be OK to ditch the mask when with those people, invite them inside your home, go see grandma and take a vacation, correct? Socially (not medically), if life is the same with the vaccine as it is without, that's really hard to come to grips with. And super depressing. Again, I say this as a lay person with no background or experience in this field.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I don't have a background in health care or science. Far from it. But I don't think wanting to do these things makes people selfish.

I understand that once you receive the vaccine -- especially in the early going -- you need to keep masking and social distancing. But surely there will come a point later this year when nearly everyone in your circle has gotten vaccinated, it will be OK to ditch the mask when with those people, invite them inside your home, go see grandma and take a vacation, correct? Socially (not medically), if life is the same with the vaccine as it is without, that's really hard to come to grips with. And super depressing. Again, I say this as a lay person with no background or experience in this field.
    Completely agree.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My concern is kids won't be vaxed so any get togethers unmasked would expose them. Children have not been as affected as adults but there have been severe cases in children. Lots of people in my area are planning vacations for this summer after they are vaxed. What is the current estimate on when it is likely children will be vaxed? October? December? Spring 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    My concern is kids won't be vaxed so any get togethers unmasked would expose them. Children have not been as affected as adults but there have been severe cases in children. Lots of people in my area are planning vacations for this summer after they are vaxed. What is the current estimate on when it is likely children will be vaxed? October? December? Spring 2022?
    We went to Florida in June during the pandemic last year and plan to again this year. We drove and didn't have any contact with anyone outside of our family (Walmart grocery pick up and carry out for meals, I think we went out to dinner once but outdoor dining.) I'm vaccinated. DH won't get it (eye roll). I don't *think* I'd get the vaccine for my kids even if I could, at this point. All 3 of our school aged kids have now had exposures in school and have been quarantined (our only one that hadn't, got a call from the nurse yesterday. But since his exposure was with masking and not during eating/mask free periods he is "modified quarantined" and gets to continue going to school as long as he has no symptoms.) Our trip to Florida was a lot safer then them being in school every day and they've been in school since August.

I'm not particularly concerned about their risk. The vast majority of cases among kids are coming from within their families, not much from being around each other. (Even my kid who was around a kid daily unmasked for lunch/snack/water breaks and within a foot of each other, kid went to school sick with symptoms of covid as far as I know - they left school early their last "exposure" day- DS1 still ended up ok and he is far from a germ freak (he once licked something at the zoo.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

We will get more info as we go forward. You might have to mask around high risk individuals but not in general when everyone can be vaccinated. I'm not so worried about kids because, so far, the numbers who get really sick is very small. I really have my fingers crossed for Fall 2021 that we can go many places without masks. But high risk folks will still need to wear them, I think. (Cancer patients on some meds wear them if they have to go out in public--sort of the same idea)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I should've made myself more clear - I'm concerned about the people who are going to ditch the mask after being vaccinated while around unvaccinated people. And I do believe there are going to be a lot of selfish people who don't care or won't try to understand that they could potentially still spread the virus after being vaccinated (see above: loss of faith in humanity ). And will insist on doing all the things they wanted without a mask. That puts pressure on businesses to reinforce mask policies, increasing confrontations, and also makes it less safe for those people who are not yet vaccinated to get the things they need to get done, particularly at businesses that are essential like grocery stores. That's what I'm concerned about.

If you get vaccinated but still wear your mask out in public or when you can't distance, including to do the things you want like traveling and shopping, I am most definitely not calling you selfish! And, I do agree that if you gather with others who are also vaccinated, the risk is quite low. I think that those who are vaccinated should gather all they want among others who are also vaccinated, provided all parties are in agreement (because yes, there IS still some risk, though small). I hope that when people in your circle are fully vaccinated, that you gather and see the grandparents and take your vacations and spend time indoors!!! But please still wear your mask in public or any situation where you may come in contact with unvaccinated folks, at least until community transmission rates look good - that's the point at which I think everyone can start taking off masks. When community transmission rates stay low and a large percentage of people have either been vaccinated or were previously infected. It's not going to be anytime soon, unfortunately.

eta: agree with poster above that masks are here to stay for those at extra high risk or who cannot get the vaccine in crowded public spaces like airports, etc. And that sucks, but it is what it is. Also re: kids. Who knows how long that'll take - trials recruiting kids recruit much more slowly than adult studies. If you're 16+, the wait hopefully won't be long since Pfizer is EUA approved for 16+ so you just have to wait your turn. Next up will be tween/teens ages 12-16. I was hopeful that they could vaccinate this age group in the Fall...but my hope is dwindling as studies struggle to recruit. The younger kids will be the last groups to be vaccinated.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-16-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3