Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What do we know about how long the vaccine provides immunity for?

What do we know about how long the vaccine protects us for? I believe there is no conclusive answer to this at this point, but just interested in what reputable sources to know to be true or what they are thinking. I have not seen much info about this. I also know vaccinated people may still transmit the virus.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    What do we know about how long the vaccine protects us for? I believe there is no conclusive answer to this at this point, but just interested in what reputable sources to know to be true or what they are thinking. I have not seen much info about this. I also know vaccinated people may still transmit the virus.
    Where have you seen reputable sources saying definitely that vaccinated people may still transmit the virus? I certainly haven’t read all the latest info, but I thought that this was still an open question.

I am particularly interested because I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine the other day (because I’m old!!) and within the next week, all my CCRC neighbors will be vaccinated. I know that some folks will think that, at least after their second dose, they can do anything they want.

Many of us are looking for definitive info about whether fully vaccinated people can transmit the virus, to educate our neighbors who are eager to throw away their masks and start congregating. I hope someone can provide a reliable reference.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Where have you seen reputable sources saying definitely that vaccinated people may still transmit the virus? I certainly haven’t read all the latest info, but I thought that this was still an open question.
    If you listen to the This Week In Virology podcast they talk about this almost every episode. All we know so far is that the vaccines prevent disease, not infection. They prevent severe disease in up to about 94-95% of people vaxxed. I think there was one small study on the Moderna vaccine that showed it prevented infection in about 67% of the recipients, which the TWIV hosts were not too happy about and said there definitely needs to be more in depth studies on infection and transmission rates. For this reason, people would need to continue wearing masks and physical distance even after they get the vaccine.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Here's the link to the TWIV podcast where they discuss the vaccine's efficacy against both infection and disease. The question comes up at the 0152 mark. https://podcastaddict.com/episode/116776465

This talks about the college transmission studies mentioned on TWIV that are being planned in the fall in order to try and figure out infection rates in students who have received the vaccine.
    https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/ce...nsmission.html

I have continued to be cautious and still wear a mask when I go out. While I am fairly certain that I won't get ill from the virus, I would certainly not want to bring the virus home to DH, as he is high risk.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

NCGrandma, it is still an open question about if those vaccinated can transmit the virus to others, which is why I used the word "may"not, does or something like that. Sorry I didnt save my sources, so I cant provide them here, but I have not really heard anyone say definitively that it protects others, have you?

Essnce629, thanks for the links and I will definitely listen/read later today.

For anyone wondering, I do still plan to wear a mask/be extremely careful/protect others after vaccinated, but I am still wanting to know how long the vaccine is thought to protect me from others. I would just like to know in general and, both dd and I will probably be able to be vaccinated somewhat soon (we both qualify for the first phase) while my soon to be 15 year old with asthma will be vaccinated who knows when since no vaccine has yet been approved for his age group...so that just has me wondering if ours will be wearing off (possibly) by the time he can get vaccinated (and I am one of those who does not feel convinced kids are safe from Covid). Anyway, that's just my individual reason for wanting to know these things, but mask wearing and other related safety precautions will most definitely continue for me.
    Last edited by JustMe; 01-13-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks, Latia, for the references. Those look very useful.

It's hard to keep up with the ever-changing landscape. I get the CDC MMWR emails which seem to come out a lot more often than the "weekly" in its title. I’m still on the med school faculty email list which includes updates about the COVID related research going on at the medical center, and the ever-changing university wide reopening plans. Information overload at times! (For the first time, I’m glad I’m retired!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Has anyone heard anything about what happens if someone is only able to get the 1st dose? What kind of immunity might that confer?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about what happens if someone is only able to get the 1st dose? What kind of immunity might that confer?
    One of the hospitals I work at sent out an email that people were to follow CDC guidelines on quarantining,etc. as far as exposures if they only had one dose. But I have read somewhere around 40ish % effective which is actually about as effective as a flu shot many years to put in perspective so definitely better than nothing. I'm curious what the ladies who listen to the podcasts say though.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast