Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    I keep hearing people say they got it grocery shopping but they were wearing a mask, etc. How does that happen then?
    It's possible that they got unlucky and a big glob of covid floating in the air happened to get around their mask. (Most people don't wear a particularly well fitting mask). But the grocery store is big with a lot of air, and you don't tend to stand near any one person for very long at all, so those globs get dispersed pretty quickly.

It's more likely that they had a friend over to help them learn about an instant pot, thought they were being safe but took their mask off to have some coffee, got a bit closer than 6 feet in a small kitchen, and stayed for 90 minutes with no air flow. But they didn't think it was a big deal because it was their friend...(I'm not trying to pick on Bisous's mom, but a lot of people make that mistake that familiarity = safety, and it isn't true)

But still, I know several people who got it despite very good mask wearing and don't know where they got it.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I keep hearing people say they got it grocery shopping but they were wearing a mask, etc. How does that happen then?
    You guys, I'm wondering about all these cases. My parents' friends caught an AWFUL case of COVID and according to my mom "they have NO IDEA where they got it". But also they've been visiting their grandkids (I'm not judging--their daughter is going through cancer and they're babysitting). Still, this same couple just visited my parents without masks because "they already got COVID". It has literally been a few weeks. They probably are NOT infectious at this point but it makes me wonder about what sources they were exposed to in circumstances similar to what my mom just did? But don't even think to count that as "exposures" because...they know the person? The person is similarly "careful"? I don't know. This whole thing has made me realize that there are probably a lot of people engaging in risky behaviors that have no idea that they are doing so. Though even here apparently masked and distanced is not risky?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    You guys, I'm wondering about all these cases. My parents' friends caught an AWFUL case of COVID and according to my mom "they have NO IDEA where they got it". But also they've been visiting their grandkids (I'm not judging--their daughter is going through cancer and they're babysitting). Still, this same couple just visited my parents without masks because "they already got COVID". It has literally been a few weeks. They probably are NOT infectious at this point but it makes me wonder about what sources they were exposed to in circumstances similar to what my mom just did? But don't even think to count that as "exposures" because...they know the person? The person is similarly "careful"? I don't know. This whole thing has made me realize that there are probably a lot of people engaging in risky behaviors that have no idea that they are doing so. Though even here apparently masked and distanced is not risky?
    You said it was only a few minutes, inside and masked. So, yes, I don’t think that is very risky at all. It wasn’t hours of eating, hanging out,...
    We replied based on your description.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They can't say for sure that they got it grocery shopping. To them, grocery shopping is higher risk than having a "trusted friend" over unmasked. But it's more likely that they got it from the "trusted friend". It's the same as when people say they aren't leaving the house for anything non-essential. But they are visiting grandkids, friends, having people over and having it be ok because it's less than 10 people. Etc. When people say they are "careful", I take that with the biggest grain of salt ever.

I'm also in the "I don't think what they said happened is what really happened" camp. Only you can know for sure if you witness it in person, especially when you are dealing with those who don't really understand risks of transmission.

I'm so fortunately that our kids' grandparents really understand the risks and HAVE been super careful. We haven't gathered indoors with them in months. I even offered it up as an option (with a strict quarantine prior to Thanksgiving) and both sets of grandparents passed and said they'd rather stay home and just be extra careful. We're just waiting on vaccination but I don't think I will truly be able to breathe until everyone (including kids) is vaccinated.

I'm so sorry you're wrestling with this with your parents!!!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default WWYD? COVID exposure issue

I’d see them, but keep it outside and masked. We haven’t had anyone inside since March. We did see friends outside and we went inside to use the bathroom then straight back outside again. I’m the only one in the group that has had the vaccine, but I’m also the most at risk of exposure through my work. So I’ll stay outside with my mask and not go into anyone’s home until they’ve all been vaccinated. I don’t want to give it to anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

My parents have been super careful, have not seen them since September. But then my mom went and got her teeth cleaned, which is something I wouldn’t do right now (her hygienist told her during this cleaning that she won’t be getting the vaccine, so who knows What her level of caution is). Most people aren’t experts at judging covid risk.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Though even here apparently masked and distanced is not risky?
    I think you got so many "not concerned" responses because what you said made it sound like appropriately masked the full time, fully distanced, and a short time duration. Nothing is 100%, but in the realm of risk, that one is pretty darn low. I choose not to routinely enter friends' houses, even masked, because "not super risky" doesn't equal "no risk" -- but ultimately I also don't stress a lot about exposure risk when I've had a reason to do it a few times (friend had surgery and I brought food and needed to get it into the kitchen -- but we were masked and truly did stay apart) because of the mask/distance/short time combo.

My "not concerned" definitely does not equal "I'm fine doing this all the time and think as long as you have a mask on it's totally safe indoors" AT ALL. Just saying that one particular situation, as described, didn't sound terribly risky.
    Lizi

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    It's possible that they got unlucky and a big glob of covid floating in the air happened to get around their mask. (Most people don't wear a particularly well fitting mask). But the grocery store is big with a lot of air, and you don't tend to stand near any one person for very long at all, so those globs get dispersed pretty quickly.

It's more likely that they had a friend over to help them learn about an instant pot, thought they were being safe but took their mask off to have some coffee, got a bit closer than 6 feet in a small kitchen, and stayed for 90 minutes with no air flow. But they didn't think it was a big deal because it was their friend...(I'm not trying to pick on Bisous's mom, but a lot of people make that mistake that familiarity = safety, and it isn't true)

But still, I know several people who got it despite very good mask wearing and don't know where they got it.
    OMG! I'm at the center of a family conflict right now because I declined an invite to my niece's birthday party-- it's a 'Nailed It' party where the guests will all be seated around a table in a small kitchen decorating cookies and cupcakes that will then be judged and eaten. And I know masks won't be part of it because my brother and SIL are trump fans.

I keep getting asked, "But you go grocery shopping....how is that any different than coming to this party?"

And then I want to die at the stupidity of that question.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Your parents seem to consistently not get the true risks of Covid, probably through a combination of active and passive thought processes, so I would give up at this point and just assume they are risky for you.

As for other posters:
    How virulent a person is with Covid varies widely, so if you hit the right person at the right time you can absolutely get Covid while being inside masked. Your mom didn’t always stay 6 ft away and the friend was there for at least 15 min

There is at least one new variant out there that is more contagious, the UK is downright scary right now. It’s here.

It looks like half the cases of Covid come from people without symptoms.

I just had a patient who got Covid from a friend who had it for their second time. So friend had it, got it again several months later, the spread it.

Oh, you still have to wear masks with the vaccine. It keeps you from getting really sick, but you can still spread it.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post

It looks like half the cases of Covid come from people without symptoms.

I just had a patient who got Covid from a friend who had it for their second time. So friend had it, got it again several months later, the spread it.

Oh, you still have to wear masks with the vaccine. It keeps you from getting really sick, but you can still spread it.
    Have you seen any recent data about how many people who recover from Covid have a recurrence? Or is it possibly a flare up of the original infection that was undetectable for a while, then was symptomatic again?

As I mentioned in a different thread, I’m concerned that some of my neighbors will become complacent because by early next week, most all of the residents at my CCRC and a high proportion of staff will have their first vaccine dose. For the most part, everyone here has been very good about mask wearing for the past 10+ months but some are getting tired of masks, not socializing, and especially, not being able to join friends for meals in the dining room.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast