Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority but I'd proceed as normal considering this is a potential exposure of an exposure. It's not like the person your DH was with tested positive. Back in March I got a call from my supervisor that a patient I had worked with had been quarantined- back before anyone wore masks and tests were nearly impossible to get. (And I do ultrasound so I was in this person's face scanning them for 30ish minutes.) The consensus was "you can keep working" (unmasked because we didn't back in March) "unless you have symptoms". I actually was scanning several people that were elderly in the following days after my "exposure". I know things have changed a lot since then but I personally wouldn't be that concerned about it unless someone in the family is incredibly high risk (and not like "overweight high risk" but like "going through chemo high risk".) Even when I had a kid quarantined, we sent the other kids in our family to school (and school told us too.) We didn't do anything to isolate quarantined kid(s) from the rest of us.
    I agree, as long as the older relative is not showing any symptoms. If older relative tests negative then there is no reason for DH or any of you to test.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Thanks all for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it. So helpful.

I think DH will keep his distance over the next few days (sleep, hang out in separate room) until we hear about older relative's test result. That also gives the person another day or two to exhibit symptoms (not sure how long for test results). If all clear, DH will probably resume normal activities in the house. I'd feel a bit better if DH got a test, but not sure if he will if the other person's test comes back negative.

I don't think there is a clear need for the rest of us to quarantine. On the regular, we don't get out too much anyway (grocery store, post office), and when we do, of course we are masked.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Like others mentioned, no public health/advisory bodies that I'm aware of would expect your DH to quarantine right now. (that would change if the relative tests positive, of course) My physician husband would be expected to continue going to work in that situation as would my friends who are nurses and teachers. The only time quarantine protocols kick in is if the person you were in direct contact with tests positive. (I even just went and looked at the decision tree that zukeypur posted the other day and it's the same)

That being said, I think those guidelines were built with reality and feasibility in mind, not 100% iron-clad there's-no-chances-at-all situations. So while I wouldn't personally be super concerned about your DH at this point, yes, there's certainly a chance that he was exposed, and so if you wanted to be 100% sure he didn't pass it on, keeping him separate could give you peace of mind. Aside from the fact that this isn't the week I'd plan a visit to a medically fragile friend, I don't think you or your children need to do anything other than normal appropriate behavior (masks, social distance, avoiding indoor activities, etc.)
    Lizi

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    Thanks all for taking the time to answer. I really appreciate it. So helpful.

I think DH will keep his distance over the next few days (sleep, hang out in separate room) until we hear about older relative's test result. That also gives the person another day or two to exhibit symptoms (not sure how long for test results). If all clear, DH will probably resume normal activities in the house. I'd feel a bit better if DH got a test, but not sure if he will if the other person's test comes back negative.

I don't think there is a clear need for the rest of us to quarantine. On the regular, we don't get out too much anyway (grocery store, post office), and when we do, of course we are masked.
    Well, what would be the point of your DH testing if your relative is negative? You can't get covid from a person who doesn't have it. Just think of it that way to help your mind.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

School staff are told to do nothing if a student is exposed and comes to school. Only if the student actually tests positive are we sent home to quarantine and test. So, as crazy as it sounds, I'd probably do nothing until your relative tests and gets a result. If you want to be extra sure and have the ability to do so, isolate your dh and have him wear a mask at home in common areas.

dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2