Default Urge to pee but not UTI?

DD (3) has been grabbing at her crotch, asking to pee all the time but often not actually needing to pee, and sometimes getting really upset about it especially at bedtime. She says “I’m going to pee my pants” but never has, and gets upset because “the pee won’t come out”. I think she is peeing a normal amount, but feels like she needs to go several times in between.

Went to pediatrician on Monday and was diagnosed with UTI. They Took antibiotics through Wednesday morning, then our doctor (we saw the practice’s on call dr Monday because ours wasn’t in) called and said the more accurate labs they sent out came back showing no infection or other problems (glucose, white blood cells) in urine sample so stop the antibiotics.

She said it could be constipation even though she poops every day, so we started miralax and have done that for 2 days now. Dr. Said we should see an improvement within a couple of days, but seems about the same. It seems less of a problem when she is distracted, and she gets really worked up and upset at bedtime. I am wondering if part of it is physical and part of it is anxiety about it. Going to try to get an appointment to take her back in tomorrow.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Did you get an X-ray to check for constipation? It can take a lot of Miralax to fully clean out a lot of poop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you aren't doing a full on Miralax clean out you may not see improvement, the doctor should have explained to give well beyond the normal dose (DS at age 14 had to do 4x the regular dose, he pooped about 20x but it helped clear the pain).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Could you go back to a bedtime pull=up or something to ease her anxiety about bedtime?

I would also consider finishing the antibiotics anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    If you aren't doing a full on Miralax clean out you may not see improvement, the doctor should have explained to give well beyond the normal dose (DS at age 14 had to do 4x the regular dose, he pooped about 20x but it helped clear the pain).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The doctor had us start at a low dose, but we know we may need to up it after seeing how it goes for a few days. She also said she could order an x-ray, but was giving it a few days to see if it was needed.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Could you go back to a bedtime pull=up or something to ease her anxiety about bedtime?

I would also consider finishing the antibiotics anyway.
    Oh, DH and I tried so hard (on 2 separate days, he was out of town the first night and didn’t know I had already tried) to talk her into wearing a pull-up at bedtime!! She had an epic meltdown at the mere mention of it. We explained she was still a big girl, and it was just because she was “sick” and we wanted to help her relax. I hyped up the special rainbow unicorn pull-ups she had never seen before. And she cried hysterically the second I tried to put her first foot in.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Poor baby! I honestly have no idea, but just brainstorming some other things to consider....

- could it just be irritation, rather than an urge to pee? DD1 has SUPER sensitive skin and when she was young we realized she got very irritated around her genital area from sitting in soapy bathwater.

- DD1 also has had a lot of anxiety around bedtime since she was super little. One of the ways it manifested itself was through the urge to pee. It didn't matter how recently she'd been to the bathroom, she'd be desperate to go again/make a million trips around bedtime, and she'd often be so upset, saying things like "but I feel like there's pee! I don't want to pee the bed!". Once we figured out how to deal with the bedtime anxiety, the issue went away completely.

Good luck figuring it out and hope she's feeling better soon.
    Lizi

DD has this and it turned out she just had some irritation in her vulva. We put aquaphor on it for a while and everything got better
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    DD has this and it turned out she just had some irritation in her vulva. We put aquaphor on it for a while and everything got better
    We went back in today and this was the nurse practitioner’s theory. New urine sample was good and she couldn’t feel any stool in her belly (said we could do an X-ray but she didn’t think it was necessary, though if we don’t see improvement in a week or so we will schedule one). She recommended aquaphor, baking soda in the bathtub, and a potty in her room to help with nighttime anxiety.

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

One more suggestion is homeopathic cantharis. It really helps my issues.
    https://www.amazon.com/Boiron-Cantha...0758532&sr=8-3