Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default What is this - waking bolt upright

My sister told me she wakes bolt upright wide awake in middle of the night every other week according to her new partner. DH says I go for awhile and then I have a cluster of a few episodes when I sit bolt upright wide awake. I didn’t think anything about it until my sister said she does the same thing. We both have bad sleeping habits - stay up later, don’t get enough sleep etc apparently I slept walked as a kid.
    ETA: DH just told me I usually say something when I sit up. Sometimes I answer his question, sometimes I don’t. I didn’t realize I talked when I do this

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 01-15-2021 at 01:34 AM.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That’s probably the aliens who control you just running a system update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My only experience with something like this was when DC was about 3. She had been sound asleep and suddenly sat bolt upright, said (very clearly) "Milwaukee Herald," and immediately went back to sleep. Fortunately I happened to be walking past her room or would have missed it. To this day, no day where that particular phrase came from since since we had no connection at all with Milwaukee...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Any chance you could have sleep apnea, where your body forces you to wake up because you need to breath?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

I'm sorry but this is the the best response I've every read!!! I almost spit out my tea!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

Love this! DH said something similar!

Default What is this - waking bolt upright

Thanks for the replies. I asked DH some more questions as I don’t really remember what happens. He said I’m talking in my sleep and then I sit bolt upright like I’m scared. He usually asks me what’s wrong and sometimes I answer but it doesn’t make sense, and other times I don’t answer and I just lie down and go back to sleep. He said other times I talk in my sleep and don’t sit upright.

I read up on sleep and it sound like it might be night terrors, which can run in families. My dad has night terrors, but he also has ptsd from being a Vietnam Vet. DH said I don’t do it often, he can’t remember the last time so it’s not disruptive to him. It sounds like it happens more often with my sister and it is disturbing her partner’s sleep.

I’ll start tracking how often it happens, and I’ll mention it to my doctor. I’ll also work on having better sleep habits.

Last edited by niccig; 01-15-2021 at 01:07 PM.

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I asked DH some more questions as I don’t really remember what happens. He said I’m talking in my sleep and then I sit bolt upright like I’m scared. He usually asks me what’s wrong and sometimes I answer but it doesn’t make sense, and other times I don’t answer and I just lie down and go back to sleep. He said other times I talk in my sleep and don’t sit upright.

I read up on sleep and it sound like it might be night terrors, which can run in families. My dad has night terrors, but he also has ptsd from being a Vietnam Vet. DH said I don’t do it often, he can’t remember the last time so it’s not disruptive to him. It sounds like it happens more often with my sister and it is disturbing her partner’s sleep.

I’ll start tracking how often it happens, and I’ll mention it to my doctor. I’ll also work on having better sleep habits.

Night terrors was my first thought from your description. Interesting that it runs in families. That's the other thing I noted from your post--that it is affecting both you and your sister (and apparently your dad). I'm glad it isn't too disruptive for you. Hope your sister can figure out a good way to deal with it!

m4nash is online now Silver level (200+ posts)

I sometimes have episodes that sound a lot like what you describe except I usually scream a blood curdling scream. I can usually remember seeing someone in my room who wasn't there and they tend to happen right as I am falling asleep. Sometimes I don't even realize I actually screamed out loud. I have them more often when I am stressed out, drink alcohol before bed, or if I am staying in an unfamiliar place. I have always chalked them up to being night terrors, but we joke that I see ghosts. For awhile they happened pretty much every night, but lately it happens maybe once every other month. The first time I ever remember it happening to me was as I was weaning off of Zoloft about a year after having my 3rd child. I don't know if it's related to that, but I clearly remember thinking my middle child had come into my room and then screaming as I realized it wasn't really him.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by m4nash View Post
    I sometimes have episodes that sound a lot like what you describe except I usually scream a blood curdling scream. I can usually remember seeing someone in my room who wasn't there and they tend to happen right as I am falling asleep. Sometimes I don't even realize I actually screamed out loud. I have them more often when I am stressed out, drink alcohol before bed, or if I am staying in an unfamiliar place. I have always chalked them up to being night terrors, but we joke that I see ghosts. For awhile they happened pretty much every night, but lately it happens maybe once every other month. The first time I ever remember it happening to me was as I was weaning off of Zoloft about a year after having my 3rd child. I don't know if it's related to that, but I clearly remember thinking my middle child had come into my room and then screaming as I realized it wasn't really him.
    That sounds like sleep paralysis to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast