Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Body odor in a 9 yr old?

My just turned 9 yr old girl has armpits that smell of B.O....not obvious if you are just around her, but a close sniff of her armpits and it is for sure there. I have to say I am a little shocked by this! Is 9 very young for it? Is this a sign puberty is starting? Puberty was not on my radar whatsoever and she has no other signs. In fact, she is small for her age and maybe weighs 50 lbs. Just to be a little more prepared....is this the beginning of more development to come very soon?

I seriously have just gotten used to her being a real kid and not a toddler, I can't believe I am even typing puberty and my daughter in the same sentence!
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

IME it’s totally normal and doesn’t really mean much as far as puberty timeline. Lots of kids start wearing deodorant that age so I would pick a natural one and not worry about it.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Totally agree with Melanie. Dd had b.o for years before she had other signs. A little deodorant took care of it

My 11-year-old DS started wearing deodorant when he was 7. He wore Tom’s for years, but I recently switched him to an anti-perspirant because he needed something stronger. I’m sure puberty is just around the corner for him but haven’t really seen any signs yet. Ack!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sadly, normal for some kids. Make sure she's washing properly. By 9, dd2 stank at a distance if she didnt shower properly and wear deodorant. After every shower, I'd make her come and I'd sniff her pits. IF they still smelled, I sent her back to reshower.

She turned 11 recently and there are signs puberty is coming but nothing yet.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Body odor in a 9 yr old?

Both of my girls got BO at about 9 or 10. I think I was 10. Myself and my girls were between 10-11 when we started puberty, Dd2 is 10.5 and just started. I didn’t get my period until I was 12, and Dd1 was a few months shy of 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yup, normal. I remember starting to wear deodorant around 9 or 10 yrs old myself. (Teen Spirit.)

DD wears Native because we felt Tom's smelled too strong, but there are a ton of options out there.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree, perhaps a touch early, but normal.

Now might also be a good time to move from 'baby" shampoo and soap to something else, if you are still using.

I just want to say not to let small size and low weight lead you to assume she won’t hit puberty soon. Mine was so tiny when she started to get hair and buds, and was only 80-some pounds when she got her first period. 😕

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    I just want to say not to let small size and low weight lead you to assume she won’t hit puberty soon. Mine was so tiny when she started to get hair and buds, and was only 80-some pounds when she got her first period.
    I agree, DD was about 75 lbs, and slim and the day after she turned 11, got her period. Right before her face erupted in pimples and she had discharge, I felt so awful for her (my entry into puberty was at almost 14 and not a pimple etc).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast