Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    .
    Posts
    6,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    I think this is most likely phase 3 testing as phase 1 and 2 testing only involves several hundred (or fewer) people. Explanation of phases explained here: https://discoveries.childrenshospita...vaccines-kids/
    Thanks for this; that cleared some things up for me! I had not thought about the fact that they will also be giving a placebo and you wouldn't know if your child has a placebo or actual vaccine. I get why they need to do that for research purposes, but had not considered that and am not sure I would be comfortable with it. I am also wondering how far away we are from them making a determination that the vaccine is safe for teens/older kids. I saw Dr Fauci being asked questions by kids and he indicated that he thought he might have an answer in a few months, but I have not heard anything about this and wonder where we are with this.
    lucky single mom to 18 yr old dd and 15 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

  2. #12
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Thanks for this; that cleared some things up for me! I had not thought about the fact that they will also be giving a placebo and you wouldn't know if your child has a placebo or actual vaccine. I get why they need to do that for research purposes, but had not considered that and am not sure I would be comfortable with it. I am also wondering how far away we are from them making a determination that the vaccine is safe for teens/older kids. I saw Dr Fauci being asked questions by kids and he indicated that he thought he might have an answer in a few months, but I have not heard anything about this and wonder where we are with this.
    One of my biggest concerns is that we would do a trial and then DS would end up getting the placebo and then not be able to get the vaccine if it became available to teens before his trial was over. If we decided to apply for one, I'm leaning toward the Moderna because they are doing a 2:1 trial and Pfizer is doing a 1:1, so we'd at least have a better chance of getting the actual vaccine.

  3. #13
    AnnieW625's Avatar
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    32,692

    Default

    The Pfizer nearest location is 30 miles away, and there is one in our old area. I filled out the form for DD1, but they said they would contact me if one opens closer to us.

    For the Moderna trial we are about 30 miles from a future location.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 13

    DD L, 9
    (Peg Perego Viaggio low back, and a Graco Turbo low back)
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

  4. #14
    nfceagles's Avatar
    nfceagles is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,950

    Default

    I’d be tempted for my 15yo but like posters above I doubt he’d qualify. He has allergies to milk, egg, peanut, amoxicillin (epi’d for amox), has asthma, and EoE.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #15
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    One of my biggest concerns is that we would do a trial and then DS would end up getting the placebo and then not be able to get the vaccine if it became available to teens before his trial was over. If we decided to apply for one, I'm leaning toward the Moderna because they are doing a 2:1 trial and Pfizer is doing a 1:1, so we'd at least have a better chance of getting the actual vaccine.
    Usually, when you enroll as a clinical trial participant, you can withdraw for any reason. Vaccine makers know this, and I believe they're doing their best to ensure timely vaccination of trial participants when they become eligible to be vaccinated (that could mean you stay on the trial and you are guaranteed to get the vaccine but that you stay blinded...so you won't know if you got the vaccine in the first round, or if you got it in the next round, but you would know that you got it). Sometimes that is at the detriment of the study (the study loses statistical power to make assumptions when there are deviations from the original design) but the ethics argument is always there and carefully considered. So if you're seriously considering participating, read all the paperwork and ask this question before committing. And THANK YOU for considering it!!!

    There's not a trial site close to us for the Moderna study, darn it! Also, both kid and parent has to consent and I don't think I could get my kids to agree hahaha.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-16-2021 at 09:36 PM.

  6. #16
    gymnbomb is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    One of my biggest concerns is that we would do a trial and then DS would end up getting the placebo and then not be able to get the vaccine if it became available to teens before his trial was over. If we decided to apply for one, I'm leaning toward the Moderna because they are doing a 2:1 trial and Pfizer is doing a 1:1, so we'd at least have a better chance of getting the actual vaccine.
    My uncle got the placebo last fall in the Moderna trial. He recently asked to be “unmasked” to find that out for sure, though he had guessed based on lack of reaction of any kind to the shots. And he is getting the real vaccine next week, which is the soonest he could have gotten it based on his age/occupation/location. I would assume they will offer the same option for younger volunteers once the vaccine is approved and available for that age group outside the trial.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

  7. #17
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,384

    Default

    DS qualifies and there is a site close by but the initial blood draw will make it a no go for him. He’s finally sort of OK with a shot but no way he would volunteer for a blood draw. I’m also not sure he would reliably do the journal... I could foresee that being a battle that I would have to take over.

  8. #18
    pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    We don't have a Moderna site near us, but do have a Pfizer site a couple miles away. My DH has actually done studies with them in the past. I asked my DS13 this evening, and gave him a basic rundown on what it would entail. He is terrified of needles but had his first lab draw last month and survived that. He wanted more info, but was enticed by the promise of compensation, so I will call the site this week for more info.
    mom to Billy 12/07

  9. #19
    jent's Avatar
    jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Usually, when you enroll as a clinical trial participant, you can withdraw for any reason. Vaccine makers know this, and I believe they're doing their best to ensure timely vaccination of trial participants when they become eligible to be vaccinated (that could mean you stay on the trial and you are guaranteed to get the vaccine but that you stay blinded...so you won't know if you got the vaccine in the first round, or if you got it in the next round, but you would know that you got it). Sometimes that is at the detriment of the study (the study loses statistical power to make assumptions when there are deviations from the original design) but the ethics argument is always there and carefully considered. So if you're seriously considering participating, read all the paperwork and ask this question before committing. And THANK YOU for considering it!!!
    Two of my colleagues who are healthcare workers participated in a vaccine trial and got their first vaccine doses just before the commercial vaccines became available. Once the commercial vaccines were available, they were allowed to find out whether they got real vaccine or placebo. Turns out, both got placebo, and both decided to get the real vaccine through our workplace once it was available.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,006

    Default

    FYI, if anyone in the Austin area is interested, let me know. The same place I went to for the Moderna trial is going to be doing the trial on teens there as well, although they don’t know when. I have DD2 on the list, and they took DD3’s info just in case they lower the age to 11.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •