Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS keeps asking me about this. He's 12 and really wants to do it to be part of history and help out. This is so out of his normal anxious self that I really want to let him do it if he qualifies (I'm waiting on a call back because of his allergies and mild (but controlled) asthma. I doubt he will, but if he does is it crazy to drive 2 hours for this? He's my anxious kid who used to be terrified of shots and blood draws and the last time he had both, he determined that the build up in his head was worse than the actual stick and is fine now. I feel like I need to fuel his desire if it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    DS keeps asking me about this. He's 12 and really wants to do it to be part of history and help out. This is so out of his normal anxious self that I really want to let him do it if he qualifies (I'm waiting on a call back because of his allergies and mild (but controlled) asthma. I doubt he will, but if he does is it crazy to drive 2 hours for this? He's my anxious kid who used to be terrified of shots and blood draws and the last time he had both, he determined that the build up in his head was worse than the actual stick and is fine now. I feel like I need to fuel his desire if it all works out.
    I would drive 2 hours for it if I had a child that age who really wanted to do it. Especially since it sounds like it might help with his anxiety about shots and blood draws. Maybe because it is his choice and he feels like he has control of the decision?

My kids haven’t done any drug/vaccine studies, but they have both participated in multiple research studies, including a longitudinal study that required periodic brain MRIs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Props to the kids/teens who want to help out! Thank them for me!

I checked and we are still not close enough to any of the sites.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

I just tried to sign up DD but the site close to us is not listed as a place where we can go. Not willing to drive 5 hours to the other site. I will keep checking.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Not crazy to drive 2 hours. It would be atleast 2 trips though, depending on the trial protocol. My DS13 asked me this morning when we were going to get his first shot in the trial, and I haven't even called the center near us to get more info. And he is as terrified as yours is of shots and blood draw.
    mom to Billy 12/07

I just checked and the Moderna site has been updated. There are more sites and more have started recruiting. I think we're going to sign DS up and see what happens. I just got off the phone with his allergist and he talked me through it and feels fine with DS getting it if he's eligible. He said he's not worried about anaphylaxis because of a history of food allergies with anaphylaxis. His biggest concern was the same as mine, can he pull out of the study if he gets the placebo and the shot become available before the study is closed. Part of me is nervous that I'm even considering allowing my son to be part of a study but part of me is excited he wants to be involved.

Both my boys are very interested so I signed them up. Ds1 will be at college next year but the site is equidistant between here and where he’s going. We’ll see how the planning works out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Was just checking in to see if anyone who signed up had been contacted. I signed DS up and put that I was "unsure" if he was healthy because I didn't know if his allergies counted. I got an email to call them or they would call me to ask more questions. I think I could have put that he was healthy, because after doing more research and finding the study exclusions on the NIH website, it doesn't look like allergies are an automatic excluder. It's been crickets ever since I filled the form out and they didn't return my message when I called them. Just curious if others had hear anything. I realize it's only been a week, DS just asks me every day if they called to ask more questions. I created a monster!

I signed our boys up last Tuesday. I left a voicemail last Thursday and again on Monday. Haven’t heard anything back yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I decided to inquire at the Pfizer study that is 2 hours away. It only took a few days and they responded that they are no longer recruiting as they have the numbers they need. Moderna studies are nowhere near here
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast