Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ugh, it’s must be frustrating for the people who desperately need and are patiently waiting for a vaccination to hear these stories. My ILs are in their 70’s and have appointments to get their vaccinations (they are in Texas). But they told about a neighbor in her 50’s who’s healthy and retired who got her vax weeks ago. Apparently she was seeing her doctor about something minor and heard they had the vaccination at their office even though it wasn’t a common distribution point. She asked if she could have it while she was there. Apparently they were scrambling to find candidates because a few people didn’t show up for their appointment times. So they gave it to her. She just happened to be at the right place at the right time. The problem is she went back to her group of friends and neighbors and announced loudly that she got the vax from that office. Those neighbors then started calling that office wanting to know when they could get it. They were not happy they she managed to get it. But hey, like pp said, at least it didn’t go wasted.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-18-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

It is pretty chaotic lots of places I think- my mom qualifies next week but there are so many different sites - hospitals, health departments, starting next week grocery stores and hard to find info about where to sign up. Hopefully it will be a little more streamlined soon. I read that wealthy South Americans are flying up to get shots in Florida- I guess desantis said anyone over 65 is eligible, no residency requirement. My aunt in her 80s was only able to get one in Florida because her health care aid happens to have a relative who works in a pharmacy.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Perfectly healthy mid 30’s - not working in person, no plans to return to in person any time soon, no underlying conditions - vaccinated while seniors and people with underlying conditions can’t even get appointments. Grrrr
    I’ve felt the same when I saw a few people getting the vaccine. Then I thought, they don’t make those rules, I can disagree with where they are on the list, but they’re on it. We need to get the vaccine out. Hopefully, the roll out will go smoother and everyone who wants it, will get it soon

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I’ve felt the same when I saw a few people getting the vaccine. Then I thought, they don’t make those rules, I can disagree with where they are on the list, but they’re on it. We need to get the vaccine out. Hopefully, the roll out will go smoother and everyone who wants it, will get it soon

I agree that they’re on the list. I just had hoped that people would allow those most in need to go first. Disappointing to see that is not the case. All for those grocery store workers who have worked tirelessly through this whole nightmare haven’t received the vaccine. They can’t sit online for hours looking for appointments so they will likely continue to bear the brunt of the pandemic.
    Last edited by jgenie; 01-18-2021 at 04:17 PM.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I agree that they’re on the list. I just had hoped that people would allow those most in need to go first. Disappointing to see that is not the case. All for those grocery store workers who have worked tirelessly through this whole nightmare haven’t received the vaccine. They can’t sit online for hours looking for appointments so they will likely continue to bear the brunt of the pandemic.
    I know at work (hospital) there are limited appointments now to get the first shot as appointments are now for giving the second shot. I only work part time there but was told to get it during first wave as they weren’t sure when the second wave would start. There was one allocated for me so I was told to get it while they had it. If I didn’t, it wasn’t going to someone at grocery store - who I agree needs to be higher on the list!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh I so hear you about grocery workers! I have three sisters. One works in a lab and wears all the fancy equipment (she works with viruses), one is a teacher who has been all remote since March of last year and the third works at a fancy grocery store in BC. I think she's definitely the one most at risk and probably the least likely to quickly get the vaccine. I do worry about her. Many of the people she works with are so discourteous with regard to safe protocols around her. I tell her every day that she is a hero. My teacher sister is the one who just got the vaccine. I'm glad VA has vaccine to offer to their teachers. I hope we see improvement on the vaccine rollout!

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I totally agree. I was vaxxed relatively early (due for second dose next week) - before DH (in person teacher with health issues) or our parents (75+). I work in health care, but am not clinical and pretty low risk. I get how it happened (extra health care doses before the next phase was open, so no infrastructure to give to anyone outside of healthcare and doses needed to be used)...but I've been very quiet about it because it feels like gloating. The reality is that we are critical healthcare infrastructure and there is no redundancy for my position and we do see patients onsite, but...ugh.

But...then I found out DH's niece got it early too...because she does occasional babysitting.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD who is 17, came home from her work at the ice rink, said the health dept vaccine site that is a part of the building where the rink is, told them they often have no shows or extra vaccine available and they hate to waste them, so they will pop over if that happens and offer to them, so to ask parents if they want to get the vaccine. I told her to absolutely take it, but not broadcast it to everyone as folks are getting upset that it's taking so long.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    DD who is 17, came home from her work at the ice rink, said the health dept vaccine site that is a part of the building where the rink is, told them they often have no shows or extra vaccine available and they hate to waste them, so they will pop over if that happens and offer to them, so to ask parents if they want to get the vaccine. I told her to absolutely take it, but not broadcast it to everyone as folks are getting upset that it's taking so long.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I would do the same.

We are in MO and my mom spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to track down just an appointment for my 97 yo grandmother. NOPE. The health department told her it's not their job to help them find vaccines and just to register on the sites they've already registered on.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Interesting read from today. https://khn.org/news/article/with-de...-vaccine-line/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast