Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default I’m sorry I just can’t

Perfectly healthy mid 30’s - not working in person, no plans to return to in person any time soon, no underlying conditions - vaccinated while seniors and people with underlying conditions can’t even get appointments. Grrrr

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The roll out has been...challenged. I know some people have gotten it because the vaccines would go to waste once opened if they couldn't find someone to use it. I wish I knew why they weren't more organized.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The roll out has been...challenged. I know some people have gotten it because the vaccines would go to waste once opened if they couldn't find someone to use it. I wish I knew why they weren't more organized.
    I think a big part of the problem is that "they" includes a wide range of government and private agencies, at all levels from federal to state to county down to individual clinical sites. At each level, the degree of competence, experience, planning ability, and commitment to the health of the public varies enormously. Similarly, communication within and among these levels varies similarly. And all that is true even if we attribute noble motives to everyone involved. Add in the current political climate, and it doesn’t improve the situation.

End of rant! (As an old public health student who spent my career in medical education, this is driving me nuts!!!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    I think a big part of the problem is that "they" includes a wide range of government and private agencies, at all levels from federal to state to county down to individual clinical sites. At each level, the degree of competence, experience, planning ability, and commitment to the health of the public varies enormously. Similarly, communication within and among these levels varies similarly. And all that is true even if we attribute noble motives to everyone involved. Add in the current political climate, and it doesn’t improve the situation.

End of rant! (As an old public health student who spent my career in medical education, this is driving me nuts!!!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Same!! I got mine but I am in healthcare with kids in school (though I am PRN and only work a few times a month), even with working not much, I still have been exposed a couple of times that I know of. The vaccine was available to me through the two different hospitals/systems I work for, so I did go ahead and get it because it wasn't like they'd take my dose and give it to my 95 yo grandmother who I would prefer to get it over me. Or my parents. Or etc.

During the time I was getting my second shot, there were three nurses, about 5 other people to check in, etc. and they had syringes lined up, dosed out, ready to go...maybe like 50ish of them. But I was the only one that got my shot and in the 20ish minutes I was there, there was only one other person who got their shot as well. It drove me crazy. They had the shots, the personnell needed to distribute, just no one to give them to...also made me wonder what they are doing with leftover doses through the end of the day if people don't make their appointments.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    Same!! I got mine but I am in healthcare with kids in school (though I am PRN and only work a few times a month), even with working not much, I still have been exposed a couple of times that I know of. The vaccine was available to me through the two different hospitals/systems I work for, so I did go ahead and get it because it wasn't like they'd take my dose and give it to my 95 yo grandmother who I would prefer to get it over me. Or my parents. Or etc.

During the time I was getting my second shot, there were three nurses, about 5 other people to check in, etc. and they had syringes lined up, dosed out, ready to go...maybe like 50ish of them. But I was the only one that got my shot and in the 20ish minutes I was there, there was only one other person who got their shot as well. It drove me crazy. They had the shots, the personnell needed to distribute, just no one to give them to...also made me wonder what they are doing with leftover doses through the end of the day if people don't make their appointments.
    I work at a major vaccine POD in a very large metro area. I work in the Pharmacy tent, reconstituting and drawing up vaccine for the personnel dispensing the doses. We have a very, very intricate tracking process in order to prevent the waste of even one dose. We track every dose dispensed from the appointment being checked in to the person leaving after observation. They check cancellations and no-shows multiple times per day and starting about 1 hour before our last appointment we reconstitute and draw doses one vial at a time in order to minimize the risk of wasting any doses. Just to give folks a heads up, it takes most people over 15 minutes to reconstitute and draw up 1 vial (6 doses) of vaccine. We do have a running list of people that are interested in receiving the vaccine and would be willing to drop everything and drive to the vaccine site to get vaccinated. To date we have not wasted any doses.

I will say that one of the upsides of working at the vaccine POD is that you are allowed to receive your vaccine. I received mine even though I have little to no patient contact and am a healthy 36 year old female. I view it as a perk of taking the time out of my "desk" job where I am salaried and volunteering at the POD.

I completely blame the piss-poor rolling out of the mass vaccinations on the lack of much federal oversight and management. This "leave everything up to the state" nonsense has only made this roll-out that much more abysmal.

Hopefully this let folks "see" the more complicated side of mass vaccinating millions of people.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post

I completely blame the piss-poor rolling out of the mass vaccinations on the lack of much federal oversight and management. This "leave everything up to the state" nonsense has only made this roll-out that much more abysmal.
    Yup. We have FEMA and an Incident Command Protocol that should have been stood up and followed. The IC process exists for this very purpose...organizing and mobilizing resources on a mass scale...people, PPE, vaccines, etc. Should've been used for testing and should be used now for vaccination.

What you describe as your process for not wasting doses sounds similar to what is required here in NY. Vaccination sites are prohibited from wasting vaccine and can face a fine if they do. They must maintain an on call list for each day so that not a single dose is wasted and if there is no on call and vials cannot be used, they must be transferred to another facility to be used.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I completely blame the piss-poor rolling out of the mass vaccinations on the lack of much federal oversight and management. This "leave everything up to the state" nonsense has only made this roll-out that much more abysmal..
    I'm going to respectfully disagree to some extent. I do not believe the feds needed to tell states exactly how to roll out the doses. Some of that will vary state by state. What the feds ARE at blame for is the poor distribution and communication. The governor has said they only find out that doses are being shipped as they are coming - too late in the game to effectively plan. At the same time NY has said they were promised thousands of doses and only received a small % so people who have appointments are cancelled.

Its hard and going at warp speed which means there will be bumps I get it. But I still think it could have gone smoother.

On the flip side, when I think about how long its taken to get other vax to the market and distributed, the fact that anyone has gotten a dose let alone the 2M that have gotten them is pretty much a miracle.

Afa the OP, I get it. That dose probably should have gone to someone else, BUT, I'm glad someone got it rather than it being wasted.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, I certainly don't know the circumstances. How in the world did she get priority? I just heard about a case where a pharmacy in a Walgreens (or was it CVS?) was distributing the vaccine and realized that several appointments had been missed and they had doses they were going to have to throw away. As a last ditch effort, they announced over the loud speaker than anyone in the store that wanted a vaccine could come and get it! I get that this is very much out of order, but since these doses weren't going to go in the arm of someone more deserving, I think in this case it wasn't a terrible practice!

My sister who is a healthy, young-(ish) teacher in Northern VA just got her first dose. She's excited because of what it means for schools in the area but is also dealing with some guilt about getting it before older, more vulnerable people!

I'm hoping this is going to feel fast and everyone who wants to get vaccinated will be able to very soon!

I work at a major vaccine POD in a very large metro area. I work in the Pharmacy tent, reconstituting and drawing up vaccine for the personnel dispensing the doses. We have a very, very intricate tracking process in order to prevent the waste of even one dose. We track every dose dispensed from the appointment being checked in to the person leaving after observation. They check cancellations and no-shows multiple times per day and starting about 1 hour before our last appointment we reconstitute and draw doses one vial at a time in order to minimize the risk of wasting any doses. Just to give folks a heads up, it takes most people over 15 minutes to reconstitute and draw up 1 vial (6 doses) of vaccine. We do have a running list of people that are interested in receiving the vaccine and would be willing to drop everything and drive to the vaccine site to get vaccinated. To date we have not wasted any doses.

I will say that one of the upsides of working at the vaccine POD is that you are allowed to receive your vaccine. I received mine even though I have little to no patient contact and am a healthy 36 year old female. I view it as a perk of taking the time out of my "desk" job where I am salaried and volunteering at the POD.

Hopefully this let folks "see" the more complicated side of mass vaccinating millions of people.
    Thanks for the info! It's good to know doses hopefully aren't being wasted!

In our case, the syringes were already drawn up and ready to go, all they do/did was uncap and inject. There were like probably 20-50ish vials all ready to go and they had times set up to 3-4 people per 15 minute time slot (and had three nurses there to give them) and still there was only 2 of us that got shots in the 20-25 minutes I was there.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09

So our state is mass choas and vaccines are being distributed by ??? a number of different avenues. (Different health departments, different hospitals, apparently some pharmacies...) I have found 3 or 4 different places to sign up that I've passed on to my mom who has passed them on to our family.

Somehow my uncle in his early 60s, with health conditions but retired (and he's all about Trump and MAGA so I'm honestly shocked he wanted to get vaccinated), he managed to sign up and get an appointment this week but somehow with the same registration system/links my 97 year old grandmother still hasn't gotten an appointment. (She lives independently and doesn't have health conditions but still!! 97! WTF Missouri?!!)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast