bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Lassen National Park!

Has anyone camped here? We're unfamiliar with the park and would love some tips. ESPECIALLY on places to stay since those fill up so quickly!

We're planning on going next summer. Either DH or I with the two oldest boys because both have been working so hard in school and it is part of an incentive plan that I'm offering.

We're thinking camping. We're imagining that COVID will be more under control than right now and we hope that DS1 and the two adults will at least be able to get vaccines. That said, we're still thinking camping is a good idea. I don't know, I prefer hotels but I'm not sure if that is a good/or a bad idea? Would love feedback on this as well.

We will be driving there. It is an almost 9 hour drive each way. How many days should we plan on. Would 3 days in the park be enough to have a good experience? Vacation days aren't impossible but we're planning on a family vacation to the sierras (Mammoth) for the summer as well so we need to be mindful of not taking too many days away.

Would love your feedback on places to stay, length of stay, and of course on any must-do activities!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

In addition to posting here, I recommend posting on the Trip Advisor forums. They often have very good advice from local experts.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    In addition to posting here, I recommend posting on the Trip Advisor forums. They often have very good advice from local experts.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Just spent some time over there. That was a great suggestion!

Be sure to check out the park's website at www.nps.gov Look for the park newsletter--it usually has tons of info on what services are available, ranger talks, and camping spots as well as hikes you can do.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know anything about camping there, but definitely check their summer schedule because they have really cool science programs, including astronomy, with professionals in their fields. We've caught them in August; I don't know the whole summer schedule. But their programs are awesome.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Thanks! Will check out the newsletter and also the programs. My older DSs would LOVE that!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Lassen National Park!

You are looking at a minimum of an 9-10 hour drive from SoCal. It is about 3 hours NE of Sacramento depending on traffic. With minimal stops you can probably make it in 9 hours. I haven’t camped there, but my brother really enjoys it. I would look at making reservations soon. Weather in the summer will be hot so you need to plan according for travel. Nighttime will be cooler, but the day temps could still be in the 90s (low humidity though) even at higher elevations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)