Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,424

    Default What are your middle schoolers reading?

    Rick Riordan, Harry Potter (again and again and again!), Hunger Games, Twilight.
    This summer she read To Kill a Mockingbird and Little Women.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

    Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

  2. #12
    California is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    My DD reads basically anything that involves a kid losing a parent, a friend dying, a sibling dying or middle school drama! Some of it she reads in a day, some take 2. I really don't care what she reads as long as she reads and she enjoys reading.
    This describes so many books on my girls' book shelf!

    Along those lines... my middle schooler really liked "The Thing About Jellyfish."
    "The Hate U Give" was assigned at school and definitely thought provoking.

    DD and her friends are all reading the Keeper of the Lost Cities books (for the second or third time.) I tried to read the first one so we could discuss it and there is way too much who-likes-who drama for a story that is supposed to be about around 12 in the first book.
    Hunger Games
    We both liked the Girl Who Drank the Stars (fantasy)
    The Mysterious Benedict Society series

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA.
    Posts
    8,758

    Default

    Has she read the Anne of Green Gables series?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

  4. #14
    klwa is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NC.
    Posts
    4,765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    My DD reads basically anything that involves a kid losing a parent, a friend dying, a sibling dying or middle school drama! Some of it she reads in a day, some take 2. I really don't care what she reads as long as she reads and she enjoys reading.
    Sounds like she'd have fit right in with the old Lurlene McDaniel books.

    One book I've seen recommended elsewhere that I haven't seen here is The Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking for those who enjoyed Harry Potter, etc. DD1 got it for Christmas, but has been a bit freaked out by the opening chapter since. She likes the Kingdom Keepers series and she really enjoys rereading the Wide-Awake Princess books. I keep trying to get her to branch out a bit...

    DS is in high school, but he loves the Five Nights at Freddy's books that are more middle school age reading.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

  5. #15
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,610

    Default

    My 8th grader is really into Brandon Sanderson right now and apparently so are his friends! Some of his books are 1000+ pages long but some (the Skyward series) are not quite so long and are really well written. DS2 devoured them. His friends are reading the giant tomes! For reference, these are D&D geeks who are into magic and "lore", lol. Also for reference, the Way of Kings series is something I've gotten into lately and have been loving them (I'm a 44 yo woman who is NOT into D&D, lol!)

  6. #16
    cheme is offline Silver level (200+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Another place I look for book ideas are the lists for Battle of the Books. Many states have different lists and you can find past years too. I’ve found it a good way to expand the genres my kids read and they are usually enjoyable, well written books.

  7. #17
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cheme View Post
    Another place I look for book ideas are the lists for Battle of the Books. Many states have different lists and you can find past years too. I’ve found it a good way to expand the genres my kids read and they are usually enjoyable, well written books.
    I agree with this. DS2 did this last year and was introduced to a nice variety of different genres and some books he really enjoyed (and he's one of my pickier readers!)

  8. #18
    sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    6,010

    Default

    Wings of Fire series
    Warriors series

    My DD doesn't like to read much, but she likes these series.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

  9. #19
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    12,809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    ...
    We both liked the Girl Who Drank the Stars (fantasy) ...
    Did you mean The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill, which won the 2016 Newbery? I loved that book, too.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

    "Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

  10. #20
    ang79 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,618

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    Sounds like she'd have fit right in with the old Lurlene McDaniel books.

    One book I've seen recommended elsewhere that I haven't seen here is The Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking for those who enjoyed Harry Potter, etc. DD1 got it for Christmas, but has been a bit freaked out by the opening chapter since. She likes the Kingdom Keepers series and she really enjoys rereading the Wide-Awake Princess books. I keep trying to get her to branch out a bit...

    DS is in high school, but he loves the Five Nights at Freddy's books that are more middle school age reading.
    The Wizard's Guide to Defensive Baking is currently free on Kindle! I spent some time tonight looking for books in Kindle Unlimited to put on my girls' kindles and saw this was free, thanks for the rec!

    My 12 yr. old DD likes mysteries, fantasy and realistic fiction. 14 yr. old DD is now into vampire books. We did The Land of Stories series on audio book one summer and are now reading A Tale of Witchcraft together in the evenings (read A Tale of Magic this past fall). They take place before The Land of Stories series.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •