NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Minor side effect of Covid vaccine

I just got my 2nd vaccination (yay!) and again experienced the same brief but annoying side effect that I had had with the 1st shot. Thought I’d mention it in case others may experience this, too.

Last time, as soon as I sat down in the post-shot observation area, I immediately had a LOT of post-nasal sinus drainage. As a lifelong allergy sufferer, I’m very familiar with that, but I hadn’t expected it post-vaccination. I didn’t mention it and it had pretty much stopped before I left the hospital, with no other after-effects.

I had forgotten about it, but today I encountered exactly the same thing. This time I mentioned it to the observation nurse, and she said that a lot of people report it. My sinuses must be extra-juicy today because it’s still draining a small amount a couple of hours post-shot. I’m not worried that this means I’ll have more problems but it startled me.

Since one of the functions of the BBB is to share the "nobody ever warns you about..." stuff , I wanted to mention it. Hope that more and more of you will soon be joining the ranks of the vaccinated!

ETA: right after I sent this, I got a message from vsafe asking if I had received my 2nd shot yet, and if so, any symptoms, so I reported it. Thanks to the folks who recommended signing up for vsafe — useful and not annoying, unlike our state's vaccine registry which has incorrect info and NO way to correct it...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 02-08-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you for sharing! It is interesting to me to hear the range of reactions. Are you participating in vsafe? https://vsafe.cdc.gov/ That would be a good thing to report there!
    Lizi

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Thank you for sharing! It is interesting to me to hear the range of reactions. Are you participating in vsafe? https://vsafe.cdc.gov/ That would be a good thing to report there!
    Definitely!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you for sharing! It'll be a long time before I can get one, but I appreciate the warning. I used to have that happen after my allergy shots sometimes and I just thought it was because it was an allergy shot that it was causing some nasal symptoms as a response, but it didn't happen all of the time.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Congrats on getting the second vaccination and thanks for the heads up!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for the heads up! I am prone to sinus drainage so good to know.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had my second dose of Pfizer on Thursday. Nothing at all to report, the site of injection wasn't even tender. One of my coworkers had about 18 hours (started about 6 hours after) of aches, chills, sweating, which were pretty intense. She is 31, did not have covid and no reaction the 1st time. She missed work one day, and returned the next day. She did not take anything like Tylenol or Motrin, as she had read to ride it out and let your body to it's job. None of our residents had any side effects with either doses.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Got my second dose of Moderna last week. About 15hrs in I got fatigue, body aches, and a headache. That lasted until about hour 30. At 48hrs I I developed a dotty rash on my upper abdomen. It went away the next day. I did use vsafe and reported the rash.

All of my coworkers with Moderna who are under age 50 got some combo of fever, chills, headache, body aches the day after. Everyone over 50 basically felt fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.