Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Which Vaccine? J&J vs Moderna vs Pfizer?

I'm curious if those who are refusing or uncomfortable with the available vaccine would be more likely to get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine?

Also, since the J&J is a single-dose and does not require the deep-cold storage, I would think this would make it much easier to distribute.

My understanding is that J&J is also a more traditional vaccine, which would help with folks that are uncomfortable with the RNA vaccines.

Can someone with more knowledge chime in?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My good friend works for the CDC on Covid and is always nice enough to field questions. she said she'll take whichever she can get her hands on. She has spent some time talking people down about MRNA vaccines. I will take whichever is available though one shot is always more convenient than 2.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m in the “any vaccine is better than no vaccine” camp. But if given a choice I’d take Pfizer or Moderna as the efficacy of both is believed to be higher than the J&J. I’d rather something that is 95% effective than 80% effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Until the vaccine supply is substantially better, I suspect that most folks will not have the opportunity to choose which vaccine they want to get, or maybe even to know for sure in advance. When I got my first dose a week ago, at one of several sites run by the local academic medical center, I was given the Moderna vaccine, as was my friend who went to the same place several days later. However, our neighbors who went to a different, larger site run by the same medical center were given the Pfizer vaccine.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I doubt I’ll have a choice, but I’d prefer the Johnson and Johnson that is a more traditional vaccine and only one dose. I’m on the fence about getting the other ones. Out here there have been issues with a batch of moderna and 6 people in one day at the same location had severe allergic reactions, plus 4 other people from that same batch, but at a different location. As a result no other doses from that batch were to be given. It definitely gives me pause.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am in the take whatever I can get camp, although one dose would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Neither one is a "traditional" vaccine like the childhood or flu vaccines which are weakened or killed viruses. There are a few that use surface proteins to induce immunity.

The mRNA (Pfizer and Moderate) and AAV (J&J, Astra Zeneca, Oxford) use mRNA or DNA (via an unrelated virus) to have your body's cells express the surface proteins. The technology for the J&J has only been used in one other vaccine, for Ebola, so while it has been around slightly longer, not by much.

That said... There will probably not be much choice.

It reminds me of the preschool mantra “you get what you get and you don’t get upset”. Choice is likely limited. When I went to get mine at the hospital where I work, people there for second doses were getting Pfizer and first dose appointments were receiving Moderna. With limited supply as all manufacturers work to meet demand, I do think that choice will be limited to nonexistent...

Quote Originally Posted by elbert View Post
    It reminds me of the preschool mantra “you get what you get and you don’t get upset”. Choice is likely limited. When I went to get mine at the hospital where I work, people there for second doses were getting Pfizer and first dose appointments were receiving Moderna. With limited supply as all manufacturers work to meet demand, I do think that choice will be limited to nonexistent...

I wonder if they are keeping track/doses for the second dose though? It would be super annoying to show up for your follow up appointment and find out now they are giving out the different vaccine.
    Ugh so complicated.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    I wonder if they are keeping track/doses for the second dose though? It would be super annoying to show up for your follow up appointment and find out now they are giving out the different vaccine.
    Ugh so complicated.
    It sounded like that is not an issue, the pharmacy that does ours said there is no mixing of vaccines, you need to go back to the place where you had your first dose for continuity.

Also, they said even if you have had COVID recently, as long as your symptoms are gone you can get the vaccine (earlier reports said to wait 90 days but apparently that is not the case). Several of my coworkers had COVID in the weeks before the crew from CVS did our vaccination last week. None of the residents had any reactions, and neither did any staff, one girl hadn't eaten all day, and was slightly light headed after 10 min, but she admitted that she had not eaten or had much to drink all day, and was fine. They write down the lot # on your vaccine card and it's clear which vaccine it is.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast