Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post
    Weigh your long term concerns against the known info they have *now* on the damage even mild Covid can do to major organs like lungs, heart, brain. I think we are going to see folks with long term disabilities from this, physical and mental both. Lungs scarred from Covid inflammation- what could that do to cancer risk? Or risk of heart attack in someone previously healthy? I’ll take vaccine risks over those.
    I agree with this, and I got both Pfizer vaccinations without hesitation, BUT I don't think I will get my kids the vaccination even if we could. (All are under 10.) And if I'm hesitant to put it in my kids, I would bet maybe 10-30% of parents, at best, are going to do it.

Even the hospital I work for in a definitely less conservative area has a vaccinated rate under 60% and that's among adult health care workers...
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hwin708 View Post

I also recently read that Moderna's efficacy goes down to 86% for people over 65, while Pfizer's is 94%. So I am VERY happy that most of my older relatives have gotten Pfizer.
    I hadn’t seen that but would be interested in more details if you have a reference (since I’m over 65 and about to get my second Moderna dose!). When I made my original appointment, there was no info about which vaccine would be offered — we were all just glad of the opportunity. Our academic medical center offered several locations. Interestingly, the nearby community hospital site where I went offered the Moderna, but friends who went to a conference center mass vaccination site run by the same health system were given Pfizer.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Don't forget that all (including J&J, Novavax, AZ) had 100% against hospitalization and death...

Also, AZ has data that their vaccine cut transmission, which is also good news for other vaccines. Now hopefully people will just STOP saying "but the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission!" and I can stop tearing my hair out.
    Last edited by basil; 02-03-2021 at 10:38 AM.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had an interesting discussion with a doctor who personally knows 6 healthcare workers (doc, nurse) who have had the vaccine AND still got covid. One person only had 1 dose, but the other 5 had both doses (Pfizer) before contracting COVID. One thing he pointed out was that the Pfizer study did not include frontline healthcare workers...those who are frequently exposed to covid and individuals with high viral loads...and so the 95% effectiveness wasn't based on a representative sample of individuals who come in frequent contact with COVID.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I had an interesting discussion with a doctor who personally knows 6 healthcare workers (doc, nurse) who have had the vaccine AND still got covid. One person only had 1 dose, but the other 5 had both doses (Pfizer) before contracting COVID. One thing he pointed out was that the Pfizer study did not include frontline healthcare workers...those who are frequently exposed to covid and individuals with high viral loads...and so the 95% effectiveness wasn't based on a representative sample of individuals who come in frequent contact with COVID.
    I don't think that's true (that Pfizer excluded health care workers). Plenty of health care workers were in the trials.

I knew/heard of several people who got COVID peri-vaccination. All were very mildly symptomatic. I do not know anyone who got it after second dose. For reference, before Xmas, my hospital was averaging 80-90 COVID+ staff/week. This past week was 9.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One of the MA reps contracted covid 9 days after his vax. sounds like he was asymptomatic
    https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...id-19/2288818/
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

I am willing to wait for Moderna/Pfizer over J&J. Personally I’m not worried about death for me, but I am worried about getting moderate covid and having long lasting effects. Seems like Moderna and Pfizer are better at preventing moderate covid. There appears to be more and more info coming out about long term effects from people who had moderate/severe covid.

DH got Pfizer, and he’s happy with that choice (he got it the first week when only Pfizer was available.). MIL and my stepmom got Moderna, and my dad got Pfizer. None of the old people had side effects from the first shot other than sore arm.

Everyone who we know who had covid and the vaccine had pretty severe side effects. DH knows one doctor who got covid after the vaccine, but only a week or so after the first dose. There was an outbreak on his floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I'd be curious to know the timing though. Did they get covid before the full effectiveness of the second shot had set in? Or were they not exposed to covid until after the full effectiveness had set in (I don't remember, is it 2 weeks after the second shot?). Because if they got exposed before the 2 weeks after the second shot, that means less to me than if the were exposed after the 2 weeks after the second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    One of the MA reps contracted covid 9 days after his vax. sounds like he was asymptomatic
    https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...id-19/2288818/
    So if he tested positive 9 days after his shot, that more than likely means he was exposed before the 7 day mark they're giving for vaccine effectiveness? Sounds like the vaccine is at least reducing symptoms, which makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I am willing to wait for Moderna/Pfizer over J&J. Personally I’m not worried about death for me, but I am worried about getting moderate covid and having long lasting effects. Seems like Moderna and Pfizer are better at preventing moderate covid. There appears to be more and more info coming out about long term effects from people who had moderate/severe covid.

DH got Pfizer, and he’s happy with that choice (he got it the first week when only Pfizer was available.). MIL and my stepmom got Moderna, and my dad got Pfizer. None of the old people had side effects from the first shot other than sore arm.

Everyone who we know who had covid and the vaccine had pretty severe side effects. DH knows one doctor who got covid after the vaccine, but only a week or so after the first dose. There was an outbreak on his floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm waiting for Moderna or Pfizer as well.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast