Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Does this sound UTI? Or yeast infection?

I've had 2 UTIs in my life and no yeast infections. I have mild burning pain and itchiness when I urinate. I don't seem to have any systemic symptoms at all. I don't see any blood. It most definitely is not as severe as the prior UTIs I had. I feel like a UTI requires a trip to see a doctor for an antibiotic, whereas maybe I don't need anything for yeast? But I really don't know. I know they have OTC medicine for that. In fact, I think I used some for DD when she had a really bad diaper rash. Maybe that's what is used?? I am really in new territory here. Would love advice! Not feeling too terrible except I'm wearing pajama pants because I do feel like this was caused by overly constricting leggings and pants (which says "yeast infection" to me but what do I know?)

TIA!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It could also be bacterial vaginosis (BV). I would absolutely make a telemedicine appointment sooner rather than later to determine if you need to be seen in person. If you do have a yeast infection or BV you will need treatment as well, which may well be OTC cream.

As someone who gets frequently yeast infection you do not want this is go unchecked for long.

Thanks! I'll email my doctor and see if I can get that appointment set up. For so many reasons I don't want to head to the doctors right now so I hope a televisit will be possible!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would not hesitate to go in to get an exam, treatment is very different for those and may require an exam or urine sample. Medical offices are being very careful, probably less risk than any store etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I would not hesitate to go in to get an exam, treatment is very different for those and may require an exam or urine sample. Medical offices are being very careful, probably less risk than any store etc.

Agreed. The antibiotics used to treat UTIs are different from BV.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post

Hmm. I emailed for advice, then spoke with a nurse. The nurse conferred with the doctor and then the nurse called me back to let me know a script for ABX is waiting for me at the pharmacy.

PunkyBoo is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Hmm. I emailed for advice, then spoke with a nurse. The nurse conferred with the doctor and then the nurse called me back to let me know a script for ABX is waiting for me at the pharmacy.
    If it's yeast, the antibiotics could make it worse. So either they don't think it's yeast or you'll need to eat a lot of yogurt or other probiotics.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I agree, unless you gave them more detail than us, the meds for a UTI won't help a yeast infection and vice versa, plus it could be yeast vs BV. Unless you have a history of either one (and then you "know" exactly which it is, I'm very surprised they just called something in.

The pharmacist thought it was a little weird too. It’s 500 mg of Keflex. They are monster pills! I’m inclined to take them. Maybe the philosophy is knock the most dangerous potentiality out first?

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

See if you can go in tomorrow for a urine check. Sounds more like BV or a yeast infection to me. The antibiotic could make things a lot worse. :/
    K

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast