ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Need vacation ideas

I have come to the sad realization that our trip to Jamaica with friends will not be happening this summer either. We had postponed from last June in hopes of going this coming June but of the 4 of us, only 1 will most likely be vaccinated (and it isn't DH or I). I am not comfortable with international travel without being vaccinated, plus I am not eager to spend all of that money on a vacation that will be missing lots of the outings and events at the resort.

The friends we were going to travel with we have done beach vacations with before with the kids. It would be nice if we could find separate rentals at an East Coast beach to be able to go to the beach together, eat outside, do outside activities, but have our own lodging (in previous trips we always shared a rental and meal prep but since their Covid bubble is much larger than ours, I am not comfortable with that this summer). It would be great if it is somewhere less than 3-4 hours from PA, as we would like to take the dog with us and she hasn't done a car trip longer than that (and sometimes gets car sick). That pretty much leaves the Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. It would be great if there was an area we could rent small cottages close to each other but that aren't outrageously priced. Does this exist? My other thought is Deep Creek, MD, but from what I have seen on most rental sites it is mostly larger houses, not necessarily smaller places next to each other. Can anyone point me to a good rental place to look at?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Do you have to vacation together? Sounds like it just not be the best year to try and coordinate something.
    There are plenty of condos at Wisp and along the lake (Deep Creek- book with Railey or Taylor Made). Some separate cabins https://dclhotel.com/ https://bluemoonrising.org/cabin-rentals/
    Keep hunting. There are cabin "complexes" in Deep Creek but you'll have to search. Just use the filters on one of the recommended rental co. above for bedrooms.

The PA state parks (plus WV, MD...) will have cabins too but you need to reserve soon.

You can also look at something like a YMCA family camp. Your dog wouldn't be welcome but there are some great family camps around. They handle all the cooking and activities. You would get your own cabin/ part of a cabin depending on layouts at the particular camp.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Would you consider something like upstate NY or the Berkshires in Mass on a lake?

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Beach places in those areas will be difficult unless you look into hotels/inns since most houses are bigger and require a week stay. The Eastern Shore area in MD may have some options but it is Chesapeake Bay and not an ocean beach.

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Finger Lakes area in Upstate NY has options for single family houses/camps on multiple beautiful lakes. The Adirondacks in NY would also be another possibility. Probably a little further drive depending on where you are in PA, but not too bad.