PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Craft Party Activity Needed

As part of a teacher lottery activity (Kids buy lottery tickets for $1 and then 4 tickets are drawn per class) I need to come up with a craft activity that I could do with 4 students over zoom. I will be able to drop off supplies/kits to them for the activity. My students are first graders, but this will take place in the spring so they will be almost 2nd graders. My own kids aren’t into crafts, so I have no clue what might be fun. I will be purchasing kits/supplies with my own money, so budget is a consideration (ideally I’d like to keep my costs under $50).

I’m not tied to a craft so if there is any other fun activity I could do with the winning students via zoom, I’m open to suggestions. I have until Friday to submit my auction description.

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    As part of a teacher lottery activity (Kids buy lottery tickets for $1 and then 4 tickets are drawn per class) I need to come up with a craft activity that I could do with 4 students over zoom. I will be able to drop off supplies/kits to them for the activity. My students are first graders, but this will take place in the spring so they will be almost 2nd graders. My own kids aren’t into crafts, so I have no clue what might be fun. I will be purchasing kits/supplies with my own money, so budget is a consideration (ideally I’d like to keep my costs under $50).

I’m not tied to a craft so if there is any other fun activity I could do with the winning students via zoom, I’m open to suggestions. I have until Friday to submit my auction description.
    Not a craft, but this would be fun, educational and within your budget: https://www.walmart.com/ip/National-...dren/268422966

A friend's first grader recently made slime and oobleck via zoom with her class.

Michaels, AC Moore, Five Below, etc. often have wood or ceramic items that can be painted or craft and science kits for bracelets, robots, stomp rockets etc.
    Last edited by ciw; 01-19-2021 at 10:24 PM.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had an outdoor, winter themed craft birthday party for DD recently.

One of the crafts we did was make beaded snowflakes. They were fun, easy, could be ABA, ABBA, etc pattern based, and pretty. You need pipecleaners, scissors (or pipecleaners already but in half), and beads.

I bought the beads at Walmart and Amazon (Walmart was a much better deal) and pipecleaners also at Amazon, although their quality wasn't the best.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/265008759314545888/
    K

crn is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Some non-craft activities that have worked for small groups over zoom that my 2nd grader has enjoyed:
    Bingo
    Scavenger hunts
    Guess who type game
    Lunch with teacher (played some “would you rather” to get conversation going)
    Pictionary
    Mad Libs
    Pet Show and Tell

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Pet rocks went over incredibly well with my 2nd graders the 2 years I did it. Not sure how parents will respond to being the ones to have to do the clean up on that one. Slime making is always fun. Jewelry making is often a hit at girl scout overnights.

Not a craft but a 'PJ' party where you drop off microwave popcorn, watch a movie together might be fun. ... I'd make it well before bedtime personally. Not sure how you feel about this during covid but our library did a teddy bear sleepover .... you drop off your bear at the library and he spends the night. Pictures are taken, stories are read and the bears do all sorts of stuff kids might do at a sleep over. It was a huge hit. The next day the bears went home.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

My son just had a zoom craft for tu b'shevat (jewish holiday celebrating trees) and they painted flower pots and then planted parsley. Seems like that could be a good spring activity.
    They dropped off a bag with a plastic flower pot and saucer, a ziplock of dirt, some seeds in a ziplock and a strip of paints (the kind that's stuck together with little caps).

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How about exploding popsicle stick bombs? I would think the kids would pay close attention to make sure they put the sticks together right. It’s not hard, they’d just have to follow the directions. My kids used to love these. I still occasionally find random lost popsicle sticks. https://frugalfun4boys.com/build-popsicle-stick-bombs/

Otherwise, how about post-it note origami? Stars and tulips are fun and easy. There are a lot of Pinterest links to different kinds.

But honestly, I liked pp’s idea of the scavenger hunt. My daughter did that with her BSA scout troup and it held her attention, it had the kids running around and laughing and comparing online what they found. Everyone was given a list of objects to find in their house and 15 minutes to gather them and show them to the zoom group. Then I had to put it all away.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    P... Jewelry making is often a hit at girl scout overnights. ...
    My GS troop actually did binary code bracelets as part of earning the girls' Jeweler badges (I have 5th grade Juniors); I used the binary code bracelet download from GoldieBlox's "Curiosity Camp" site to help - https://goldieblox.com/pages/curiosi...-downloadables

While we used glass seed beads and jewelry wire, you can always use plastic pony beads and string or pipe-cleaners. I gave my troop members enough beads to code their first names, but you could do your school's name or the mascot or whatever suits your group instead.

If we were going to expand our bracelet-making to a wider audience outside our troop, we might use "Girl Scouts Rock," "Be Prepared," or "Make New Friends" instead of names.

You could also do it as a design using Perler beads.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle