Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I agree with this, even though I don't have any in college yet. There are just so, so many colleges out there. There will be one of the right size, location, etc that is completely fine with 2 years of Spanish. DS1 and I are talking a bit about colleges and he has no ideas at all of what he's looking for at this point. So even though yours is saying 5-10k student size and west coast, that could really change in a few months even.
    Yes to this. OP look at the California State University system. Only 2 years of a language, and if over a 3.61 SAT/ACT isn’t required but is recommended.

https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/fres...uirements.aspx

I know the OP said no to Cal Poly, but it is a great school and have many friends who loved there. Most of the people I know who went to either UC Santa Cruz or Cal Poly applied to both schools. I find them sort of similar vibe wise; both coastal and laid back. I applied to Cal Poly and SDSU and didn’t get into Cal Poly, but don’t regret my decision to go to SDSU which has the biggest student population in the CSU system and I was one of those kids who initially thought a SLAC would be the better fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have actually been trying to research this for my oldest too. Foreign Language is not a strength for him. He took French 1 in 7th/8th, so he’s in French 3 as a sophomore. I know he’d love to just stop and focus on other things, maybe take 2 science classes next year. But it does seem like many schools really prefer 3-4 years of language (if he takes 4, the 4th year would be AP and I think he’d hate it). I have a “meeting” (I.e. zoom) with the college counselor next week, so I will see what kind of answer I get. He’s not a good test taker so he really needs to be able to keep up the high GPA, challenging schedule. He’s looking at similar types of schools in the Northeast and Northern Midwest, along with some pretty selective schools (but not Ivy League...Michigan, Northeastern, and Boston College)
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yes to this. OP look at the California State University system. Only 2 years of a language, and if over a 3.61 SAT/ACT isn’t required but is recommended.

https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/fres...uirements.aspx

I know the OP said no to Cal Poly, but it is a great school and have many friends who loved there. Most of the people I know who went to either UC Santa Cruz or Cal Poly applied to both schools. I find them sort of similar vibe wise; both coastal and laid back. I applied to Cal Poly and SDSU and didn’t get into Cal Poly, but don’t regret my decision to go to SDSU which has the biggest student population in the CSU system and I was one of those kids who initially thought a SLAC would be the better fit.

DS couldn’t get into Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I looked at their admit stats and they are super competitive.ost of the UC schools are too big for him. He is pretty clear on what he needs/wants. I guess there could be a surprise but I doubt it. DD is the one who wants to go to a big school and will look all over the US. Her process will be really interesting
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Questions on AP Capstone --Research class vs. 3 years of language

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    DS couldn’t get into Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I looked at their admit stats and they are super competitive.ost of the UC schools are too big for him. He is pretty clear on what he needs/wants. I guess there could be a surprise but I doubt it. DD is the one who wants to go to a big school and will look all over the US. Her process will be really interesting
    Look at Chico State as well (about a 12 hour drive from Salt Lake, I think). There is also a Cal Poly Pomona, (but no where near the coast) which is less competitive than SLO. UC Riverside is also smaller and less competitive than most UCs, but again not in a large hip college area. He will find his spot!

Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-20-2021 at 09:59 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Go with the theater class! It will all shake out fine. Does he know what he would like to major in or study?
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Go with the theater class! It will all shake out fine. Does he know what he would like to major in or study?
    He is really interested in Urban Planning. He took a week-long class during the summer at our local University. They took mass transit (train, bus, e-bikes, etc.) around town and looked at various city buildings. Then they had to build a model and pitch a plan to faculty. Our local U has one of the top rated graduate programs for Urban Planning. So it was a great week for him.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I’d have him do Spanish particularly since he has done well in it thus far. The AP class sounds boring and I don’t think the capstone means much. Presumably he’s learned how to write a research paper and make a presentation in his other AP classes.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

He is really interested in Urban Planning. He took a week-long class during the summer at our local University. They took mass transit (train, bus, e-bikes, etc.) around town and looked at various city buildings. Then they had to build a model and pitch a plan to faculty. Our local U has one of the top rated graduate programs for Urban Planning. So it was a great week for him.
    That is so awesome! Can he go there as an undergrad as well? That would be my plan A for my DC.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    That is so awesome! Can he go there as an undergrad as well? That would be my plan A for my DC.
    Urban planning isn’t much of an undergraduate degree so the idea is to have him explore in college. He really needs to leave the state for 4 years. Our localUis really the only in state school to consider and I am adamant that my kids go away. I went across the country and it was very good for me. He will be within a long days drive no matter where he goes—only looking at western states. Then if he still wants urban planning he can come back for grad school
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Urban planning isn’t much of an undergraduate degree so the idea is to have him explore in college. He really needs to leave the state for 4 years. Our localUis really the only in state school to consider and I am adamant that my kids go away. I went across the country and it was very good for me. He will be within a long days drive no matter where he goes—only looking at western states. Then if he still wants urban planning he can come back for grad school
    How can you be so certain that going away is all that? I think living on campus absolutely matters, even if they are in the same town. But, I live in a city with amazing universities of all sizes and many kids choose those schools because they are really good. And many have parents on faculty and staff so major discounts (the choice between student loan debt or not is obviously appealing). These kids are thriving. They might move away for grad school or a job. I know many of them had the ability to go to other schools (financial means, accepted at other great schools). There are so many paths to success and enrichment. Like study abroad, a summer internship out of state...It’s great that leaving was good for you but I know lots of other people who didn’t and it was the right choice for them. I’m sure you would support your kids though if they had a compelling reason to choose a local school though. You seem like that kind of mom that would have a pro/con conversation and let them choose their path.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast