TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Is DD ready to go boosterless?

Hello everyone,

It’s been a long time since I have been here, and it looks like this subforum is not very active. I’m hoping someone can help me out. DD1 is 11yo, in 5th grade, 59 lb, 4’4” and sits in a high back booster in our two primary cars and occasionally uses a backless booster for carpool/in a friend’s parent’s car. Is she big enough to go without a car seat for short rides at this point? She will be remaining in a high back booster for now, as she still frequently falls asleep in the car and I like her to have head support. But it’s more common now for a friend’s parent to give her a ride somewhere and I’m wondering if it’s still necessary to give her a backless booster to take with her. Thank you!
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You will need to check her in each car using the 5 step test.

https://thecarseatlady.com/car-seats...ers/5steptest/

It may be different depending on car. DD was able to go without in my car for about a year before she could in DH’s car with deeper seats.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d skip the booster when carpooling. Not a scientific answer but by 5th grade I just wounds sweat it for occasional short trips. Ds2’s bff is tiny and I kept a booster around for him but stopped in 5th grade. I know he wasn’t in one in his parents cars too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post

It may be different depending on car. DD was able to go without in my car for about a year before she could in DH’s car with deeper seats.
    Agree with this 100% and this is what we did too. DS1 passed the 5-step test in DH's and our car pool's cars (sedans) a year before mine (Mazda5).

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    Hello everyone,

It’s been a long time since I have been here, and it looks like this subforum is not very active. I’m hoping someone can help me out. DD1 is 11yo, in 5th grade, 59 lb, 4’4” and sits in a high back booster in our two primary cars and occasionally uses a backless booster for carpool/in a friend’s parent’s car. Is she big enough to go without a car seat for short rides at this point? She will be remaining in a high back booster for now, as she still frequently falls asleep in the car and I like her to have head support. But it’s more common now for a friend’s parent to give her a ride somewhere and I’m wondering if it’s still necessary to give her a backless booster to take with her. Thank you!
    Look at the 5-step test that mmsmom posted. She will be ready at different times in different vehicles. Though I would not expect her to be ready in most vehicles until she is about 4'9".
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post

Mine's 4'9" and she can go without boosters in both my and DH's cars, but she has to be in the center-back in DH's car, but can sit outboard in mine.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I imagine she is still much too small. My seven year old is maybe two inches shorter and five pounds lighter. I know it’s sucks to be the small one still in a booster (depending on attitude) but it’s really important that the belt fit her correctly every time she rides in the car. My DD still rides in a booster in one of our cars at age 12 and is unfazed. I’d encourage you to be prepared for her to ride in a booster until she hits her big growth spurt. She likely won’t fit in seatbelts until at least 4’8”.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you everyone! I’m in no rush to get her out of a booster although she is of course! For some reason I couldn’t find the 5-step test rules when I searched. We have the Harmony which is small and is what she usually takes with her if she’s going to be in someone else’s car. I might look into getting the MiFold since it’s smaller. She doesn’t seem to care as much in my car, which is the primary car and where she is still in a high back booster, but that could be because we rarely have people outside our family in the car, she tends to fall asleep more often in this car (headrest!) and her seat matches her younger sister’s (who is still harnessed). I fear she will still be in a booster when she takes her driver’s test. 🤣🤷*♀️
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My DD is also in 5th grade and about 1" taller and 2 lbs heavier than your DD. She still rides in a low back booster in our vehicles, and she doesn't seem to mind. Honestly, I think she prefers to ride in a booster seat since the seat belt alone doesn't quite fit her correctly yet. She hasn't been in anyone else's car in the past year due to COVID, but I wouldn't sweat it either way for a quick ride in someone else's car.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Is DD ready to go boosterless?

Dd1 was over 4 feet tall, and 70lbs. I think she was 10.5 or so when she finally stopped and she had used the Safety First Incognito for about a year prior. Dd2 is now 56”-58” and 73lbs. She will be 11 at the end of April. I think she has been out of a booster since covid started. She used a Safety First Incognito once she hit 60lbs. in 2019; and she had the Peg Perego low back booster (it had a high back but she got rid of that at 9 iirc). She is in 4th grade though (we held her back this year), but has always been taller at the same milestones vs. Dd1. She has gained both weight and height in the last year. This happened with Dd1 as well. They took forever to reach 4 feet and 70lbs., but then they just took off like weeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-26-2021 at 02:26 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)