Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Is the Triangle area still getting ice storms yearly? I remember one when we were there that really debilitated the region. Our street was fine but the next was without electricity and heat for quite some time. Lots of downed trees...
    And I'll still remember our good fortune when we had a harrowing drive from the VA/ NC border to home in a blizzard. We kept wanting to stop at a hotel but the exit ramps were impassible. We were so worried about getting home once we exited the highway. We got off the highway and managed to get behind one of the only plows in the area. Anyone familiar with the area knows that Wade Ave. from Whole Foods and east is hilly. Our car would have gotten stuck. When you don't get winter weather you just don't have the trucks and plows needed for big storms.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Is the Triangle area still getting ice storms yearly? I remember one when we were there that really debilitated the region. Our street was fine but the next was without electricity and heat for quite some time. Lots of downed trees...
    And I'll still remember our good fortune when we had a harrowing drive from the VA/ NC border to home in a blizzard. We kept wanting to stop at a hotel but the exit ramps were impassible. We were so worried about getting home once we exited the highway. We got off the highway and managed to get behind one of the only plows in the area. Anyone familiar with the area knows that Wade Ave. from Whole Foods and east is hilly. Our car would have gotten stuck. When you don't get winter weather you just don't have the trucks and plows needed for big storms.
    We haven't seemed to have the debilitating ice storms as much recently. Now watch us get a really bad one since I said that! I can handle the snow just fine (DH and I both have vehicles with 4WD or AWD) but the ice is awful.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    We haven't seemed to have the debilitating ice storms as much recently. Now watch us get a really bad one since I said that! I can handle the snow just fine (DH and I both have vehicles with 4WD or AWD) but the ice is awful.
    Thanks. Now you've jinxed us! *glares from the Triad*

DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Please stop relocating here. Its taking a huge turn for the worst of the past 10 years because of fleeing northerners and resulting increase in traffic congestion and taxes as well as cost of living.
    Last edited by marymoo86; 01-22-2021 at 02:31 PM.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    Yep, folks are still talking about the "ice storm of 2002” (it’s even in Wikipedia!) My in-town neighborhood was without power for over a week, because of weaknesses in the power infrastructure. Since then, nothing of that scope. Snow is occasionally a problem, like when a large school system loaded all the kids on buses to send them home early ... without checking road conditions. If I remember right, some kids were stuck on buses overnight.

Mostly it’s fine!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Yep, folks are still talking about the "ice storm of 2002” (it’s even in Wikipedia!) My in-town neighborhood was without power for over a week, because of weaknesses in the power infrastructure. Since then, nothing of that scope. Snow is occasionally a problem, like when a large school system loaded all the kids on buses to send them home early ... without checking road conditions. If I remember right, some kids were stuck on buses overnight.

Mostly it’s fine!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    That's what we lived through! I didn't know it was so historic. We were so lucky to really not be affected.

flashy09 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, my list is mostly charming, horsey, scenic areas. But this is where I would live:

Southern Pines, NC
    Asheville, NC
    Blowing Rock, NC
    Aiken, SC
    Richmond, Va. Especially Henrico Country around River Road.
    Middleburg, VA
    Charlottesville, VA
    DD1 9 yrs old 12/2011
    DD2 7 yrs old 01/2014

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Please stop relocating here. Its taking a huge turn for the worst of the past 10 years because of fleeing northerners and resulting increase in traffic congestion and taxes as well as cost of living.
    LOL yeah...true! It's funny how my DH notices that all the "newer" neighborhoods that are allowed to fly flags have tons of "northern" school flags.

As far as the ice storms and the school delays (which are really a highlight for us teachers!) this area is just on the edge of the snow/ice line. The triad (an hour away) will get actual snow and we'll get SOME snow that will melt and refreeze overnight. Since we have SO MANY trees, it's shady and districts have to wait until the bridges and shady (steep) streets thaw out to send buses around town.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You might also look at Knoxville Tennessee - it’s in eastern Tennessee, so close to NC. It is pretty and a close to the mountains. Good schools especially on the west side of town. It’s kind of dominated by the University of Tennessee but that might not be a terrible thing. You can live close to the airport and highways and still be pretty close to downtown for restaurants and stuff. Lots of outdoor recreation activities too. It is southern but seems like a reasonable place for Yankee migrants to live .

Asheville and Charlotte are also nice. I have spent a fair bit of time in the Triangle area but it’s too flat and crowded for me. But In that respect it might feel like New Jersey! Atlanta suburbs or Athens GA might be another possibility.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3