Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Housing in the dc area, including Northern Virginia, is incredibly expensive relative to the rest of the east coast and the public schools have been remote since last March. Traffic is horrible. So if you are interested in VA, maybe consider Richmond instead?

Greenville, SC. It is beautiful - close to mountains and not far from beaches. Very close to many colleges and an up and coming food scene. Good cost of living as well.

I live in NJ and there’s a lot of NJ transplants moving to Raleigh-Charlotte. The high level of professional jobs and healthcare options give them the feel of Northeast vibe.

Also not sure on the size of your middle schooler current school; is it small or regional based? Cuz if it’s small and going to a large regional middle/HS May be a different transition for your kiddo. I’d look into that type of schools if i were moving my rising 5th grader. Best of luck to you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have friends who have moved from CA and DC to both Charlotte and Chapel Hill. Both families love their areas and coming from CA and DC they were able to get WAY more bang for their buck when they bought their new houses.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'll add Charlottesville, VA, to the list. It's a great little city with excellent healthcare because of UVA. I live in NJ and have friends who live in C'ville, and it's always been high on my list of places to move to one day. I also love Asheville, NC.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    I'll add Charlottesville, VA, to the list. It's a great little city with excellent healthcare because of UVA. I live in NJ and have friends who live in C'ville, and it's always been high on my list of places to move to one day. I also love Asheville, NC.
    I was thinking about that area too. U VA is a steady employer. Beautiful area. It’s smaller than I could stand and a bit too isolated but there’s no doubt that it has charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We are in the Triangle area of NC - Cary actually. I grew up in NJ but my parents are down here now. Lower cost of living than NJ for sure and a large number of people who relocate from out of state so this area isn't particularly "Southern". However, you only need to drive 30 minutes and the feel and culture changes drastically. The public schools in this area are pretty good but NC isn't a big spender on schools (lower taxes then NJ for sure) so be careful on picking an area. Most are organized by the county so very few smaller municipal systems. The housing market is pretty tight right now and those that hit the market are moving quickly. That said, the traffic isn't as crazy and you shouldn't have a problem finding something close to amenities. The mountains are 3 hours to the west and the beach is 2 hours to the east. Plenty of local parks, greenways and other outdoor attractions that you can enjoy virtually year-round. We have 4 seasons but obviously the winter is mild. We own a snow shovel and sleds but don't get to use them every year. Everything pretty much shuts down for any amount of snow but it melts in a day or so and we are back up and running.

DH is from the Charlotte area. It's lovely as well. I do find that it has a more southern feel than the Triangle but maybe because I haven't spent as much time there.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Housing in the dc area, including Northern Virginia, is incredibly expensive relative to the rest of the east coast and the public schools have been remote since last March. Traffic is horrible. So if you are interested in VA, maybe consider Richmond instead?
    We were considering Stafford and south. Prices are relative to NJ w/o the huge property taxes. Nothing further north than Stafford, and more than likely, further south.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    We were considering Stafford and south. Prices are relative to NJ w/o the huge property taxes. Nothing further north than Stafford, and more than likely, further south.
    The traffic on that stretch of 95 is seriously horrific. It's on our way to the beach and we have encountered miserable traffic every day of the week there. I know that's a silly reason to avoid somewhere but everytime we drive through I declare I could never live there. Too many other good areas to live with fewer hassles.
    What about something like Annapolis?

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Where would you move on the east coast?

I love the Triangle area. Love how big it is- like if I get a wild hair and want to go to another Costco, there are 3 a reasonable distance apart. Love that there are many lakes and hiking areas, many universities, school options, etc. love that within an area there’s a mix of people who have grown up in that spot and newcomers.

And seasons are a riot. A few times in my 20 years here, snow has shut us down for more than 2 weeks. Northern transplants are steaming mad about it, but it’s so fun to have a “stay at home” reset. Not sure how it would feel this year, since we really can’t go anywhere after it melts...and we have only had the promise of flakes this year...but we have a new snow tube and new sleds waiting in the living room! (Depending on your budget, garages may not be included in your house. This is my one complaints, but I deal with it because everything else is so convenient for us.) I can be parked at the airport in 23 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast