Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Where would you move on the east coast?

If you had the opportunity to move your family anywhere on the east coast (from VA down to FL), where would want to go and why? As I look at various listings online, I just don't know ANYTHING about NC/SC/GA/FL. I really don't want FL or GA as I can't stand the heat year round but DH would like to get to a warmer client and no snow.

We're currently in NJ; we are accustomed to suburbia, neighborhoods, etc (we're NOT accustomed to planned communities, HOA's etc but not opposed to it).
    We require a 1st floor master suite which apparently isn't common at least in NoVA where I've been checking listings. Excellent medical care is important (my mom lives w/ us). Proximity to highways, etc is important as I'm tired of it taking minimum 20 minutes to get to ANY highway but I don't want the highway in my backyard either. I do want to be close to metro areas for future employment needs as that'll always be a concern of some point, nothing is guaranteed!

My job switched to fully remote with no possibility of going back to an office; one kid would be going into Jr High and the other would be starting college (that's another caveat, he'll be commuting so as to keep debt low...so no matter where we go (if we go) if he goes to a state school, we're on the hook for "out of state" rates for minimum 1 year. He's clueless as to what he wants to eventually do/study so community college will be likely for 2 years anyway.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Raleigh. If you can afford it, look inside the belt line. Mostly older homes built before the days of HOAs. Lovely neighborhoods. As you exit the interior belt line areas you’ll have more HOAs, planned communities and lots of sprawl. The whole area has a lot to offer.
    Chapel Hill has great areas too and the UNC vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Raleigh. If you can afford it, look inside the belt line. Mostly older homes built before the days of HOAs. Lovely neighborhoods. As you exit the interior belt line areas you’ll have more HOAs, planned communities and lots of sprawl. The whole area has a lot to offer.
    Chapel Hill has great areas too and the UNC vibe.

I was going to say, look at the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) area of NC. Cary (suburb of Raleigh) has a large contingent of northern relocatees. (It's jokingly referred to in the area as the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.) The area has 3 major interstates (I-40, I-85, I-95). Large number of colleges and universities in the area: NCSU, UNC-CH, William Peace, NC Central, Duke, Shaw, St. Augs, Campbell, to name a few, as well as Wake Technical Community College if he wants to take basic courses for a year while making a decision/getting in state rates. Excellent health care options with the UNC and Duke systems, as well as Wake Forest University's hospital system in the western part of the state.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

NC for sure. Raleigh, is lovely. I spend alot of time in Winston Salem and love it there. I've been to Cary a couple of times and like it as well. You do get snow occasionally. But it seems like the philosophy is to wait around till it melts. It does get hot but not GA/FL hot.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

I fourth (fifth?) Raleigh. I live in the Triad area (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point), which is the third largest metro area in NC. I went to UNC-Chapel Hill and moved here right after graduating 24 years ago. I love it here, but it's a step back in "excitement" and culture from Raleigh and Charlotte. In general we also lack the breadth of high-paying jobs. And while the cities are quite blue, it doesn't take long to drive into some really red areas (if that matters to you). I tend to think transplants with no real attachment to the south would prefer Raleigh or Charlotte.

The Triangle board on City-Data is fairly active and the posters seem happy to help folks who are thinking about moving to the area.
    https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...pel-hill-cary/

ETA: To piggyback on NCGrandma's comment on cost of living/housing: I think Raleigh has gotten pretty expensive, especially in the more desirable areas. I agree that coming from N.J., it probably won't seem that way to you.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 01-21-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Many of the homes built since 2000 have downstairs masters. The Raleigh area has lots of these homes... a downstairs master will not be a problem. However finding a house may be an issue... the market is crazy right now and there is a serious lack of inventory. February will start the spring market and if you want to move soon you need to be ready to make an offer when you see something. The Charlotte area also meets your criteria and it has a much larger airport if that’s a concern.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    I was going to say, look at the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) area of NC. Cary (suburb of Raleigh) has a large contingent of northern relocatees. (It's jokingly referred to in the area as the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.) The area has 3 major interstates (I-40, I-85, I-95). Large number of colleges and universities in the area: NCSU, UNC-CH, William Peace, NC Central, Duke, Shaw, St. Augs, Campbell, to name a few, as well as Wake Technical Community College if he wants to take basic courses for a year while making a decision/getting in state rates. Excellent health care options with the UNC and Duke systems, as well as Wake Forest University's hospital system in the western part of the state.
    The Triangle area is indeed awash in higher education and excellent health care, yet the specific communities have a lot of variety in size, social and political makeup, racial and ethnic composition etc etc. Newcomers to the area comment on how expensive or how cheap the available housing is — it’s all a matter of comparison. That’s why it’s hard to describe the cost of living. (I haven’t spent time in NJ for a long time but I’m guessing housing may be more expensive there.)

We certainly have 4 seasons, and some jokingly say "all in the same month"! Snow is fairly infrequent and seldom lasts long, but we do have it. Because the Triangle area is in the middle of the state, it’s pretty easy to get to beaches and mountains, if those appeal (via those handy interstates!).

Any more specific requirements or questions? Lots of us will be happy to weigh in.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    ... That’s why it’s hard to describe the cost of living. (I haven’t spent time in NJ for a long time but I’m guessing housing may be more expensive there.)
    I live in NJ.

My childhood BFF lives in Raleigh.

When we bought our homes, we paid about the same amount, but I have an 1800 square-foot townhome on a tiny parcel of land while she has a lovely 2-story Colonial with a large yard and old-growth trees. I also pay more in property taxes than she does.

Cost-of-living is all relative!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well I am from SC and love it here but I think you would be too hot it sounds like. It’s just as hot here as GA. I agree that NC would be ideal for you. Also there are some incredibly beautiful areas of VA that I would love to live in.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I also love Alexandria and areas just outside of DC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast