Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What COVID friendly activities do you like to do?

We have been lucky to be able to do walks, go to the beach, and head into the hills.

I recently learned that some of my favorite gardens (the Arboretum and the Huntington Library) are open at reduced capacity.

These are examples of things that I really love to do and have been mostly available during these long ten months.

I know that this depends on your area--even sometimes in micro capacity. The trails and beaches have been closed in stretches and at times to us and I think for my neighbors in LA county there have been more restrictions. Neighborhood parks have only been opened for less than two months during this entire 10 month span (October to early Dec).

What have YOU enjoyed doing? I'm trying to get my family out and doing as much as we can. My family have been awesome at keeping great attitudes for much of this span, but we're all starting to feel a little tired of it all. I feel like getting OUT more, even when that is hard because I'm juggling work and kid's school, and all the rest, (and a pandemic!), will help.

Would love to hear about your faves!

Thought of another--a friend let us visit their pool during the summer. The whole family was out of the house and we just swam and left through the side yard. It was heavenly!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

hiking with fam before picking up a grocery order, getting CFA drive-through, and meeting with our small group online via WebEx have been highlights. My bar is very low.

We have been isolating since 03/13/20. My DH is extremely high risk. The only thing we have done is go on a daily walk in our neighborhood. No one is around during our walk at all since our neighbors are all 70 years old or older. That’s it. We have not gone anywhere. I do grocery shopping once a week. If I forget something, then I just do without until next week. Instacart/Shipt up charge 30% or more plus tip, so I have never used them.

I don’t want to risk going anywhere because no one wears their mask.

All of our friends are living life like covid does not exist. They are going to playgrounds, parks, beach, working out, etc without masks. Multiple friends are having parties at their home and they post photos of 20 or more people with no one wearing a mask at all. I just do not understand it. They wear masks at Disney, but then take them off to eat. It makes no sense to me. Why go to a restaurant? They walk in wearing a mask and then take it off to eat with so many other people near their table.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    hiking with fam before picking up a grocery order, getting CFA drive-through, and meeting with our small group online via WebEx have been highlights. My bar is very low.
    My kids did a cousin meetup on Zoom the other day and it really lifted their spirits. I need to remember that although it doesn't seem like it should be different than other online time, for kids it really can be. And it makes sense. I've been keeping connected with my family and friends through Marco Polo and it has been a lifeline. While the inclination not to do another zoom meeting (they are 100% remote for school) I think it really does some good!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are not doing much but did go to the Zoo last weekend. Timed tickets, masks required, one way path. Inside exhibits closed. They had you walk from entrance to the end then had a tram (with dividers between rows) to go back to parking lot. It was well organized and felt very safe.

Quote Originally Posted by rollycolly2007 View Post
    We have been isolating since 03/13/20. My DH is extremely high risk. The only thing we have done is go on a daily walk in our neighborhood. No one is around during our walk at all since our neighbors are all 70 years old or older. That’s it. We have not gone anywhere. I do grocery shopping once a week. If I forget something, then I just do without until next week. Instacart/Shipt up charge 30% or more plus tip, so I have never used them.

I don’t want to risk going anywhere because no one wears their mask.

All of our friends are living life like covid does not exist. They are going to playgrounds, parks, beach, working out, etc without masks. Multiple friends are having parties at their home and they post photos of 20 or more people with no one wearing a mask at all. I just do not understand it. They wear masks at Disney, but then take them off to eat. It makes no sense to me. Why go to a restaurant? They walk in wearing a mask and then take it off to eat with so many other people near their table.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I am astonished by all the problems regarding eating out that have arisen during this pandemic. From the moms that are breaking under the strain of cooking every single meal, to the large swaths of the economy that are failing from decrease in restaurant business, to the issues of safe eating with groups! It has been eye opening.

Have your kids really missed activities? I know you were super active before, but I also know that your kids are little. My little kids have been much more resilient during this time than my teens. I think for the littles, our neighborhood is "big" enough for them to feel invigorated and uplifted. Like maybe my kids are getting enough from our yard (and the open space behind it) as they used to get from visiting museums. My teens want to get OUT and although they have outside and active time daily, they are missing being involved in the world in a way that my littles don't seem to. Although pointedly *I* felt constrained in my small town growing up and I wasn't dealing with a pandemic!

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    We are not doing much but did go to the Zoo last weekend. Timed tickets, masks required, one way path. Inside exhibits closed. They had you walk from entrance to the end then had a tram (with dividers between rows) to go back to parking lot. It was well organized and felt very safe.
    It sounds safe to me. I wish our zoo was open! I think the SB zoo was open for a time but it is closed now. I don't think the LA zoo ever opened? But our region is having major outbreaks so I know authorities have to be super careful. I know it depends on the area but for me outdoor spaces where distancing is possible have always felt safe. I feel safe at the beach but maybe it depends on the beach? When we go we can easily keep at least 6 feet (much more actually!) from any other family group.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have really enjoyed putting up birdfeeders and then trying to identify who comes to visit, which food each prefers, and so forth. really fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    We have really enjoyed putting up birdfeeders and then trying to identify who comes to visit, which food each prefers, and so forth. really fun!
    That's awesome! We had a fun success the other day. DH discovered some birdwatching apps (Audubon and Cornell) that have bird calls that you can play. We found a call that brought us two very excited hummingbirds! The kids found it magical.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast