Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

On pretty much every chart and guideline eating in a restaurant is ranked as a high risk activity.
    We are a family that ate out a lot in normal times. We haven’t eaten out since last March. Gotten take out but that’s it. It’s such an easy activity to avoid.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...irus-pandemic/
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...tml#restaurant

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    Honest question, how are people supposed to eat with a mask on? Around here, if there is no outdoor seating, the tables are spaced at least 6 feet apart and all the waitstaff wears a mask. We rented an VRBO to ski over Thanksgiving and..... so? I admit we are not high risk, yet, doesn't your husband go to work daily? We both work outside the home daily as well. Did you not go and view homes to possibly purchase? I would not be too quick to judge what others are doing when it relates to eating out.
    I’m just saying that my DH is extremely high risk that we literally cannot go anywhere. Most people are not going to die of covid. He has 5 risk factors including severe respiratory issues, so we cannot take the chance.

My husband does go to work every day because he has no choice. He cannot work from home like a lot of people. There are only 4 other people in his office thankfully. It is a daily risk, but we need money to pay rent and other bills.

We have gone and looked at some homes, but we have been very selective about how often we go. We have not seen any homes in almost 3 weeks. We do private viewings, so it’s just us. Our agent just stays next to the door. I can’t make a huge purchase of a new home without seeing it in person.

I guess here in Florida people are not as careful because everything is open. Nothing is closed. There are different levels of risks with certain activities. All I was trying to say is that our friends are living like covid does not exist. It’s just difficult at times to see people living like normal and not being able to do the things we used to do. We used to travel every month as well. We have not gone anywhere since February 2020. We really miss it, but it is what it is. That’s all I’m saying.

DS (02/15)
    UPPAbaby Mesa 2015
    Now Clek Foonf 2016

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I understand that one must work, as we must work outside the home as well. I am just mentioning that maybe eating out and renting a home may be a "risk" some are willing to take. Eating out is an easy activity to avoid, but we choose to eat out judiciously. We are comfortable with our once a month plan. Everyone has bias and perception. I am tired of the social media "shaming" if one does not live the life that others believe to be the most righteous.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    On pretty much every chart and guideline eating in a restaurant is ranked as a high risk activity.
    We are a family that ate out a lot in normal times. We haven’t eaten out since last March. Gotten take out but that’s it. It’s such an easy activity to avoid.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...irus-pandemic/
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...tml#restaurant

DH works in the HVAC industry. He shares all of the reports and studies he sees with me and WILL NOT allow us to eat in a restaurant. One study he shared showed that it takes 4 hours for Covid droplets to drop 4 feet. So if you're in a restaurant with someone with covid and the circulation is not good, you could be in big trouble. There was a study in South Korea I believe that showed that one person had covid and only was in the restaurant for a few minutes at the same time as a girl that they were trying to determine how she got covid. I believe they weren't even within 6 feet of each other, but she was sitting in line with him and in the air flow pattern. They then determined that other people along with air flow pattern got sick from the guy as well.

We picked up food tonight from a local hole in the wall restaurant with low ceilings and small rooms. DH said it was packed and was more than likely a covid hot bed because no one around here wears masks unless required to.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I find it interesting that so many of you are able to have some kind of schooling or sports activities that are continuing to occur. We've had none of that and I think that influences my need to get the kids OUT somewhere. If they were routinely leaving the house for any reason I think it would be less necessary for their sanity. Otherwise they never leave the house. We don't socialize, they don't go on errands with us and they have no schooling or activities. Church is remote and everything else is shut down entirely. Still, I don't think we're as restricted as LA County. We've always been able to exercise at least and I don't think we have the official "no gathering" rules that LA County has (though we have chosen not to gather while numbers are this high--even outdoors!)

I'm intrigued by the idea of horseback riding! Is this a sport that is super cost prohibitive? I'm only thinking recreational level, if that isn't clear. We don't have the funds to buy or house a horse. I just think that sounds really fun for my kids and sounds like it could be safe. Rather like biking is safe which thankfully we can all do.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rollycolly2007 View Post
    I guess I just don’t understand people. All of our friends are going restaurants. They take their photo with a mask to enter the restaurant. Then they are taking their masks off to eat. What if someone at the table near them has covid and does not know it? All of our friends are eating out weekly and going to bars. They are also staying in hotels/air bnbs too and traveling all over the USA. I guess I just don’t understand. There was also a local group of friends that went to an indoor facility recently. There were about 50 people and no one wore a mask. Do people think they are invincible?

All our healthy friends are getting together and are active too, it seems. All of them seem to have had COVID19 now too. It’s gone through their offices and other workplaces. I know like 10 families who have had it but only one person who was extremely sick. He wasn’t in the hospital though. So anyone whose has it has now gone back to life as normal. They figure they are now immune and don’t need to worry. Our close friends who were being very careful with us just told us that their dad is scheduled to get his second vaccine. He is a doctor who had a kidney transplant last summer and was very susceptible to COVID19. I’m happy for their kids being back in school. But my kids are the only ones we know now who are virtual learning. It’s hard on them.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-22-2021 at 08:53 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

We ate on patios a lot over the summer and early fall. When the weather turned cooler in October, we ate inside four or five times. I wasn't comfortable with it, but DS and DH wore me down. We stuck to a couple of locally owned sports bars with huge dining rooms and high ceilings. I always requested to sit near the patio doors, which were open to allow some airflow. When number started shooting up in November, we stopped that and just do takeout all of the time. But to bcafe's point: If you're going to Disney, you have to eat at some point during the day. *kanye shrug*

Our state hasn't been as locked down as others, so we move about pretty freely. I meet up with girlfriends outside regularly. No masks because we always order lunch. And we have some family friends that we hang out with regularly, also outside.

DH resumed playing basketball in the fall. In December, the state mandated masks for all indoor sports, so everywhere we've been has followed the mandate and take it pretty seriously. No one wants to have their program shut down after basketball lost so much time last spring and summer. Nearly every AAU organization is holding tryouts now for the big spring season, so we've been busy taking DS to workouts/tryouts/practices/games. He also returned to in-person class at the beginning of the month.

ETA: I realize the topic was "Covid safe." These feel fairly safe for my family, and most of our family friends are doing similar activities. The only family I know that are isolating quite strictly is a family where the dad had an organ transplant a few years ago. Based on the photos I see, they do a lot of hiking and games and crafts at home. The kids are a little younger -- girls ages 9 and 5 -- so as someone said above, they may not miss life like older kids can.
    Last edited by carolinacool; 01-22-2021 at 09:55 PM.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    DH works in the HVAC industry. He shares all of the reports and studies he sees with me and WILL NOT allow us to eat in a restaurant. One study he shared showed that it takes 4 hours for Covid droplets to drop 4 feet. So if you're in a restaurant with someone with covid and the circulation is not good, you could be in big trouble. There was a study in South Korea I believe that showed that one person had covid and only was in the restaurant for a few minutes at the same time as a girl that they were trying to determine how she got covid. I believe they weren't even within 6 feet of each other, but she was sitting in line with him and in the air flow pattern. They then determined that other people along with air flow pattern got sick from the guy as well.

We picked up food tonight from a local hole in the wall restaurant with low ceilings and small rooms. DH said it was packed and was more than likely a covid hot bed because no one around here wears masks unless required to.
    Yes to this. The doctors who've partnered up with our school districts have recommended we teachers think of Covid 19 as cigarette smoke- the smoker may leave, but the smoke still lingers in the air long after they are gone.

Since March we've gotten takeout dinners once a week from our favorite family-owned neighborhood restaurants, and since Christmas we've started picking up lunch once a week too. We rotate which family member gets to pick. I've got it our names scheduled out on our family calendar. Picking the restaurant is a big and much discussed decision for my kids! Bisous, if you already eat out, I highly recommend this (if you think your kids will be okay with each other's selections!) It gives them something to look forward to and my kids have been very considerate of each other's tastes. (It also helps that they pick inexpensive places like Zpizza/Blaze and Mexican food.) My DS made a list of 'suggested restaurants' with descriptions and menu links for my nights because I have a hard time deciding. It was so sweet and really does help!

Bisous, besides from eating lots of good local food , we have scheduled outdoor time. It sounds like your family has this too but may have hit a rut with outdoor activities? That has happened to us too. My kids seem to need to switch things up every couple of months. Looking back we've had periods where they were really into surfing when the water was warmer, biking, camping, paddle boarding for the older two, and frisbee when the parks opened up. Hiking is the one thing they haven't gotten tired of. I don't know how you feel about this, but we do let our kids hike, surf, and bike with a friend (masks on.) This has been really good for them.

We also found all the Little Lending Libraries within a 30 minute walk, and regularly walk to those. One of the things I've loved from all these walks is that we are all much more aware of the changes in our neighborhood. One of my favorite things they noticed was when a neighbor built an outdoor tent. It turned out to be for Sukkot, a Jewish holiday. I bet your youngest is naturally noticing everything around her when you go out in your neighborhood.

Pre-pandemic, we used to go to coffee houses for family board game nights. Since the pandemic started, DH has been planning regular 'coffee house' (with decaf and tea) nights at home. I love that he does this. I can imagine your family enjoying Disney-themed nights!

I've gotten the impression that you are doing a wonderful job shepherding your family through this pandemic, and helping your DS sort through all his strong feelings and high energy. I bet you are doing all sorts of things right. Your routine may just need a little tweaking to make it feel fresh again for your older kids. That's certainly what my kids seem to keep needing!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I find it interesting that so many of you are able to have some kind of schooling or sports activities that are continuing to occur. We've had none of that and I think that influences my need to get the kids OUT somewhere. If they were routinely leaving the house for any reason I think it would be less necessary for their sanity. Otherwise they never leave the house. We don't socialize, they don't go on errands with us and they have no schooling or activities. Church is remote and everything else is shut down entirely. Still, I don't think we're as restricted as LA County. We've always been able to exercise at least and I don't think we have the official "no gathering" rules that LA County has (though we have chosen not to gather while numbers are this high--even outdoors!)

I'm intrigued by the idea of horseback riding! Is this a sport that is super cost prohibitive? I'm only thinking recreational level, if that isn't clear. We don't have the funds to buy or house a horse. I just think that sounds really fun for my kids and sounds like it could be safe. Rather like biking is safe which thankfully we can all do.
    I posted about horseback riding and sorry to share that it is expensive. We enrolled DD in the usual soccer, gymnastics, dance, tennis, swim, etc. and she quit it all except summer swim and it turns out riding is her love. But of course it is the most expensive activity. We do have places you can trail ride as a family but price wise it’s about $50 each depending on length so not something you can do regularly. During strict quarantine her riding farm continued lessons as it was considered exercise and also essential animal care as the horses have to be ridden. I am grateful she has something she loves but ultimately it is about $600-700/month and will be double that when we lease a horse and we don’t even travel to shows yet.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I posted about horseback riding and sorry to share that it is expensive. We enrolled DD in the usual soccer, gymnastics, dance, tennis, swim, etc. and she quit it all except summer swim and it turns out riding is her love. But of course it is the most expensive activity. We do have places you can trail ride as a family but price wise it’s about $50 each depending on length so not something you can do regularly. During strict quarantine her riding farm continued lessons as it was considered exercise and also essential animal care as the horses have to be ridden. I am grateful she has something she loves but ultimately it is about $600-700/month and will be double that when we lease a horse and we don’t even travel to shows yet.
    Also, riding may be safe in terms of COVID but not in some other ways. DGD1 enjoyed riding for a while until she had a fall that resulted in a fairly bad arm fracture when she was maybe 8 or 9. Fortunately the growth plates were not affected but it was a longish rehab. For the next few years, she had several more bad wrist sprains and a hairline fracture in the same arm. Fortunately she decided that she preferred swimming!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast