Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,013

    Default

    I also want to add I give a lot of verbal praise during our zoom sessions, and I see small groups of students in the afternoon where I also give a lot of verbal feedback and praise. So while I may not comment on every piece of work that gets submitted, I do make sure my students know I am proud of them and of how hard they are working.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    I also want to add I give a lot of verbal praise during our zoom sessions, and I see small groups of students in the afternoon where I also give a lot of verbal feedback and praise. So while I may not comment on every piece of work that gets submitted, I do make sure my students know I am proud of them and of how hard they are working.
    It sounds like you are doing a great job meeting your students’ needs.

    So it seems that expecting some sort of feedback isn’t an unreasonable expectation.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

  3. #13
    nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    6,522

    Default

    I’m a special Ed teacher who fully coteacher a 4th grade class that is currently virtual. We use canvas as our class platform. We typically assign 2-3 things per day for students to complete and most of it is done through google slides. Anyhow, we try to quickly grade as students submit their work so if someone clearly doesn’t understand we can pull them 1:1 to reteach and have them fix and resubmit. Of a student understands and just made an error we will comment in canvas on the assignment (we can annotate on their work like if we had a pen or add a text box). For students who are doing fine we typically just mark it “meeting”- we are standards based and our grades are meeting, approaching, and developing. If a student goes above and beyond we will leave a positive comment like “I love how you added a sentence to explain your thinking”. But we don’t have time to do that on all 20 kids’ work.
    Sometimes we will also send canvas messages directly to students saying “I noticed you have been rocking your lexia minutes this week, keep it up” or whatever.

  4. #14
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    It sounds like you are doing a great job meeting your students’ needs.

    So it seems that expecting some sort of feedback isn’t an unreasonable expectation.
    Yes, expecting some sort of feedback is very reasonable. Expecting a written comment on everything submitted is probably not, but that doesn’t seem to be what you are looking for.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Yes, expecting some sort of feedback is very reasonable. Expecting a written comment on everything submitted is probably not, but that doesn’t seem to be what you are looking for.
    Thanks! We have an IEP meeting next week and my sister (SLP) suggested including “positive feedback on completed assignments.”
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

  6. #16
    trales's Avatar
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NH.
    Posts
    3,412

    Default

    Work that is not done correctly gets sent back to redo with verbal feedback. All the other work gets a heart, or a good job, or they get a comment every few days about how they are doing such a good job on their work. Lots of feedback during class. grade 1.

    I do the same with my college students. If they do it all right, I might just give them a good job. But I do feel if I want them to take pride doing the work, they need to know I am reading it. Yes, it takes time, but I get more work in and spend less time chasing than if I don't.
    Tracey

    DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •